The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. magicmuggle01

magicmuggle01 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi Everyone.

I'm called magicmuggle01 but you can all call me muggles. I'm from Scotland and I've been a fan of the Star Trek Universe ever since it first started. Yes folks, you could say that I'm one of the original Trekkies since I was two and a half when I saw the very first episode on September the 6th 1966 on British television. It caught my young imagination and a seed grew to this presemt day. I never looked back.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the mad house!:)

magicmuggle01 likes this.
  3. magicmuggle01

Thank you :rommie::rommie::rommie::rommie:

4. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Hi everyone. Although I introduced myself in another thread in the Picard forum, I’ll do a more formal introduction here.

My name is FederationHistorian. I’m from Canada. I’ve watched every series and movie in the Star Trek Universe, having grown up watching TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT. I later on watched TOS & TAS, and am now watching the new Trek shows. I joined because I wanted to chat about Star Trek.

magicmuggle01 and F. King Daniel like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

Welcome to the madhouse!

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Welcome, get drunk, pull up a chair and join us

7. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Thank you both!

8. AmbreP

AmbreP Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well I found this site on accident trying to look up some trivia to explain something I could not resolves about the new movies. I am not new to trek...at all.
    Its been years since I have use a BBS so bear with me...also I am very dyslexic so any errors in spelling an acronyms is a complete mistake. One of my friends though I was cursing in a message....and I have accidentally turned off my spellchecker (using keystrokes) so many times.....and now I am afraid I have taught it that certain words like the is spelled teh because of how often I misspell it typing among other things.

I am barely a second generation trekker/trekkie and to prove my ST cred as it were....how many people can say their parents biggest fight while married was that when I was 3 years old during the first rerun broadcast of TOS I talked and asked my parents questions and it was not a commercial gasp! When I was 16 years the last straw precipitating my parents divorce was an argument about some trek memorabilia my dad was supposed to get for me for my birthday when voyage home was being filmed in my local area (he forgot and my mom was not amused). Match that ROFL!!!!

I used to religiously read all the books, and still have through the first 90 or so, and some are really wierd.

i think I still own every book about the romulans, and always play at least a half rihannisu when I have been able to get a group together to tabletop a game, but no local fans are roleplaying gamers and driving 180milles to find players/a game is a bit much. But my favorite character has always been McCoy, then Scotty ( think its my inner irish/highland scottish ancestry coming out), and both my parents are southern farm kids so teh accent was close enough to be understandable with my audio processing issues related to my dyslexia.

I have at least liked all forms of trek (not enterprise so much). During the covid/corona shutdown I have found I like the darkness of the Kelvin timeline more and more and am getting really sad that there will most likely not be another movie.I don't like J.J. Abrams directorial style, but do like his production style and the new direction and grittier feel of the kelvin timeline more like modern trek, though I do think treating kirk/spock as a duality instead fo the triumvirate, under-utilizing Karl Urban's McCoy was a critical mistake, because I feel like he is the one who held kirk and spock together, and the books is smarter than either but neither kirk or spock seem to know this or how he manipulates both of them for their own good and mental health as well as being the only one to regularity beat both at chess. I might be a bit biased.

I desperately need some other trekkies/trekkers to talk to. What do fans call themselves now?

9. F. King Daniel

I think just fans nowadays since we tend to like a lot of stuff aside from Trek. Although I say Trekkie, since it sounds light and fluffy and nobody who hears it expects me to have 300+ books and technical manuals and toys and ... and ... and ...

Welcome to the site!:D

10. AmbreP

AmbreP Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yah I dont own alot of stuff either..I do have alot of books though. (more than the local library SCiFi/fantasy section) I will remember that, about the stuff.

Remember that lady maybe 25 years ago who went to jury duty in her trek uniform.....maybe that a trekker.

Whatever....though I admit there are a few things I wish i owned...I would rather have an experience. I dont get autographs or bobbleheads collectors either.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just a fan. :)
    I love Romulans as well, and many RPG characters I have played are at least half-Romulan as well. I have done a lot of forum based RPG because I love the writing challenge.

Welcome, by the way.

12. magicmuggle01

I call myself a fan but also refer to myself as a Trekkie since I saw the very first TOS/Kirk episode in Sept 1966.

13. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You said that upthread in specific reference to seeing Trek in 1966 on U.K. broadcast.

That’s all well and good but I’m curious as to how. Star Trek didn’t air in the U.K. until 1969.

14. Starred108

Starred108 Cadet Newbie

I came across this website while trying to find a better alternative to Reddit (easy), I'm happy see there's a decently sized community here of Kelvin movie fans, those movies are what I grew up with, and while I like most of the other Star Trek movies and shows, they never really stuck with me as the other ones.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  15. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Yeah, of all the Trek communities out there, this one is by far the most chill.

Skipper and Starred108 like this.
  16. Starred108

Starred108 Cadet Newbie

As it should be, I never understand why people have to be childish and hate each other for liking certain movies or tv shows, especially in the Star Trek fandom where Gene Roddenberry would shun such things.

ScottJ85 likes this.
  17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

One way to avoid going down that path, I've found, is to keep discussion focused on the stories, characters, production of the shows / movies, etc.

Yes, there will be differing opinions and positions about any and all of those (because that's just what happens when people talk about things) and we can discuss those differing opinions, too, without directing any criticism / scorn / hate, etc. toward the people / fans / fan groups who may happen to hold those opinions or positions.

Valkyriedirective likes this.
  18. admiralking

admiralking Ensign Newbie

Hello all. I am a life long trek fan returning after what seems a 4 year absence from the forum. I also seem to have started up a new account in 2018 so I am now a cadet. I'm a filmmaker and photographer from Bristol. Feel free to follow me on instagram. Feel a real rewatch of all the films and series coming on so hoping to be here for a while. :)

SidneyIsTheKiller and Smellmet like this.
  19. SidneyIsTheKiller

SidneyIsTheKiller Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh hiya, Kelvin Universe! Lurked on and off for years but only recently got an account. I'm into Star Trek, mostly the movies, and that includes the 2010s Kelvin off-shoot!