Shatner scheduled to talk to Bob Orci?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Duane, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'm sure that's the case, but I hope it doesn't play out like that, the effort that went into setting up the original reboot film will have seemed in vain otherwise. I want it to be done right or not at all.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, I think using the Nexus in any way wouldn't fall under "doing it right". There is really no explanation that won't have the hardcore fans screaming bloody murder over it.

Let the novels and comics do any explaining that one-tenth of one percent of the people that see the next movie need.

I guess my point is this: there is no explanation that isn't going to look contrived. So skip it. Or, leave it vague enough that the older Jim Kirk could be from the future or another timeline altogether.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Thats what I'm getting at - NO Nexus!

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as it being "done right" goes, let's be blunt, what are the chances? Even if a sincere effort to "do it right" is made, in my opinion it's still quite likely to come across as contrived, convoluted, and a distraction. This may be heresy, but even though it will be the 50th anniversary of TOS, is it all that important to try to jump through a lot of hoops so that Shatner can wear a gold shirt one more time?

After all, it's not like Kirk isn't already in the movie. ;)

One other heretical thing, how many more non-fan movie goers in the prime demographic beyond those likely to go anyway are really going to care that it's Trek's 50th anniversary or that Shatner is in it?

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

They can do a "cold intro" to a Deadly Years remake, with the stakes a bit higher and with "old Kirk" working out the solution with "old Spock" (rather than waiting for the serum to work on Kirk before he goes to the bridge in the original). So his body is aged, but his mind is still sound. Then, have the reversal to their youth be more touch and go than in the original, heightening the drama for a moment, giving the two (Shatner and Nimoy) a moment when they, unsure if they will survive, reveal the depth of their friendship. When the reversal is accomplished, the moment will help solidify that friendship going forward (so still meaningful) and we see something later on in the movie to demonstrate how the friendship is stronger than ever.

Gives Nimoy and Shatner more than a 2 min. cameo (the scene should be 10-15 mins long--that was enough screen time for Anthony Hopkins to earn a lead actor Oscar for Silence of the Lambs, so it ought to be enough for Shatner). If well-written enough, gives each actor the opportunity to shine in the other's presence in a serious moment one last time. Tie in the obstacle they overcome to a later development in the film (making the scene relevant to the story as a whole, not just a "moment wedged in"). Start the story with a bang (if they are to be in it, let them make a grand entrance right away--go against the conventional trend of making everyone wait for "the reveal").

I'm no screenwriter, but these are my 2 cents on the matter.

My preference would be than neither one is in the movie, but that there be a nice 50th anniversary special on TV that comes out about a month before the movie and all the original TOS cast they can gather be in it--maybe Takei and Shatner can "publicly" bury the hatchet (they can keep resenting each other in private, if indeed they do and it's not all a shtick).

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Is it both Shatner and Nimoy or just Shatner?

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of a TV special and I'd throw in the new cast and as many others associated with the show as I could get, too. M*A*S*H did twentieth and thirtieth year reunion shows that brought together as many of the actors, writers, directors, and producers that they could get. They were touching shows that didn't fawn over the product.

As far as my two cents go if Shatner and Nimoy are going to be used credibly, besides a "Deadly Years" approach, a kind of "All Good Things" of approach may work, but without having a character jumping through time.

I really wouldn't want their old and young selves to meet (Spock has essentially already met his old self anyway, so it's been done). To that end, there could be some perilous thing travelling across timelines that could destroy the fabric of space, or something. At each end, Kirk and Spock begin to figure out what's going on. Both realize they can only do so much on their ends. Both realize the crisis exists in another time and requires action at that end. As they do what they can to move to a solution, the two pairs start reacting to what the other does. They begin to realize from each other's reactions that they are working together even though they can't openly communicate with each other. Older Kirk and Spock may find out with whom they are working, but the younger two never do, even though they have their suspicions.

The entire thing could be condensed into the final ten minutes or so of the movie, where we finally cut to older Kirk and Spock who we find out have been working on the same crisis on their end all this time. It could be in those final minutes that the pairs "discover" each other and that they need to work in coordination across time to do the things that finally end the crisis.

Then again, that's highly derivative of "All Good Things".

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1/ I'd like to see Kirk Prime in the center seat of the new Enterprise. Just for a scene. I have no idea how to accomplish this, so I'll leave that to the writers...
    2/ I think it's OK to bring Kirk Prime back from death with a throwaway line, just to appease the older fans. Many newer & casual fans don't even know Kirk is dead.

10. TrekGuide.com

TrekGuide.com Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be cool if Shatner played old Kirk from the Mirror Universe, who was transported into the past of an alternate dimension by his own Tantalus field device, and marooned there for 50 years.

Upon being rescued by the Enterprise crew from Tantalus IV, bitter old Mirror-Kirk would then learn that his old nemesis Spock had also ended up in this universe as well, and would go about plotting his revenge. ...

11. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

Why would anyone take what Shatner is saying at face value?

He is being coy about his involvement in ST 3 because he already got in trouble once for admitting his role...Does anyone not remember his initial denial where he said that these rumors were created simply to get attention for the film, only to announce 48 hours later that he had indeed been in touch with J.J. Abrams about a part in the new film and that his initial denial was false? He is playing stupid (i mean this in the most polite way as possible) for the cameras.

The whole how are they going to bring me back stuff is a lot of nonsense. We already know (as does Shatner) how they are going to bring him back. He is going to be playing an older version of Chris Pine's Kirk. I met him in Providence this weekend and saw him give a speech where he even brought up the scene about playing the older version of Pine's Kirk "with Leonard" in front of 1000 people. Yes, he was somewhat vague, but he also was quite clear that he was aware of how they planned on bringing him back.

Shatner is not a dumb man by any means, he knows damn right well that they aren't going
    to give him the lead role in the new film, but they may very well give him an important role similar to that of Leonard Nimoy's role in ST 09 that he will sign on for. Quite frankly I believe it's a done deal already and Shatner is simply deflecting the questions.

I am 100% convinced that William Shatner will be in the new Star Trek film and about 95% sure that the contracts have already been signed.

12. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can only hope he will turn down this deal, and choose not to appear in this JJ travesty called Star Trek.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Y'know, seeing Denny Crane in the new movie is suddenly sounding like a good idea to me.

No idea where that came from.

:)

14. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

LOL! Do you really think that after Shatner literally begged for a part in the new ST films he is going to turn down this role?

You may not enjoy the new films, but many people do. Say what you will about Abrams films, but the fact is he saved this franchise that had one foot in the grave by giving the mass audience a film they could enjoy. J.J. Abrams made Star Trek relevant again for the first time in two decades

15. Wildman

Wildman Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe Prime Spock misses his friend so much he finds a way to go into the Nexus and takes NuKirk and NuSpock with him and all 4 talk about upcoming missions and what their friendship means and Prime Spock remains behind in the Nexus with his friend - thus an end to them ever coming back.

16. Wildman

Wildman Lieutenant Junior Grade

I recall Shatner saying that this is science fiction and they can make anything happen. I believe I also recall someone asking him if he would come back in a Star Trek movie and him saying "I'm expensive". So maybe money is the only thing that would stand in the way?

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is semi-related to the topic. I had a dream Monday night that I was in the room with William Shatner and one of the writers/producers from the upcoming Trek film. I was so excited that I was in the same room with Shatner! Then the writer says to Shatner, "you're only going to be in the first five minutes of the film. Kirk will be played by Pine for the rest of the film." And then Shatner had this look on his face like, 'are you kidding me' and 'I'm gonna punch you in the face.' So what do you think I did? Well, instead of staying put and witnessing the rest of the conversation, I did what I probably would have done in real life (like an idiot). I said, "I'll leave you two alone." And then I walked away. I love Shatner but I hate confrontation more. And apparently that carries over into my dreams. LOL!

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Denny Crane.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shatner should play Admiral Tiberius Kirk. The hero or the Romulan war. It's clear to everyone that he's showing early signs of Alzheimer's that everyone covers with nice euphemisms like "Mad Tribble." No one wants him involved in any strategic planning despite his best efforts to butt in, but his legendary status also means no one dare force him to retire. So instead they just stuff him away in a nice office at Starfleet HQ, where he spends most days sitting on his balcony drinking Aldebaran whisky.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Only if James Spader plays his assistant.