Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It wasn't with malice toward the wife. It is all she could do.
    Caitlyns similar demise was actually a release of sorts--in that it ended greater pain of seeing her family all but destroyed. Poor Starks.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Personally, I thought her choice in hostages was much better here than in the book. IIRC, she held the court jester hostage (Patchface or Butterbumps maybe? Can't remember.) At least, in this version, she chose someone that Walder Frey might have had more of a realistic reluctance to let die and use as a viable leverage to stop the carnage. That made his "I'll get another one" line all that much more shocking (and darkly amusing).

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Wow that was some ending.:eek:
    At this moment I'm feeling more sorry for poor Edmure Tully than Stark.
    My computer went a little funny near the end, did they kill Edmure's wife or did they not show her?

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Both Edmure and the Black Fish were off-screen when the massacre happened, so they are theoretically still around. The Starks may be largely decimated, but the Tullys are still in play.

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

If I remember the book correctly, Cat seized one of Walder's sons or grandsons. I forget his given name, but I believe they called him Jinglebells. He was of diminished capacity and did not understand what was going on. Cat threatened to kill Jinglebells and Walder told her to go on because he had plenty of sons.

Walder's wife was a good subsitution. Cat's desperation when she realized what was happening chilled me in the books and the show.

The episode captured the brutality and the horror. I always felt so bad for the men outside at the feast burning to death in those tents.

I threw the book when I read that chapter and I was stunned when the credits rolled on the ep.

I think the TV show topped the books in brutality.

I was frustrated by Robb's choices in the books and on the show, but I was gutted by his death because of Cat's love and devotion.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

This video is great. Six minutes of people watching HBO and freaking out, screaming, crying, and cursing. Warning: seriously hardcore language.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Well yes! :lol:

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but if my mathematical formula is correct then there is no corner for GRRM to write himself out of.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Yep, I was ruined in real life of this episode details :rolleyes: sucked but hell it was a GREAT episode anyway.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn. I knew something had to be up, but damn. This was made all the more shocking due to its brilliant execution. It was a stark contrast to the Tyrion and Sansa Wedding, where you could tell nobody was really enjoying themselves. But here, you had the music, and the joyfulness, and the bedding ceremony, and then, wham! It all made for a more devastating outcome.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That was fantastic - didn't see it coming at all.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

It was a good episode. I actually gave it an average rating, though. It's the first episode that didn't feel that eventful. I expected the Red Wedding to be a bit more of a bloody slaughter, but I'm not complaining at all. It's too bad that Robb's wife was killed also, as I don't think that happens in the books, but it was a realistic touch. The most foreboding part was when Walder told him that if Robb wanted to hide her, then he should not have brought her there.

I wonder if they killed the cousin that married the Frey girl too? I also can't wait for
    Catelyn to make her transformation and exact some revenge.
    I was missing Jaime and Brienne this episode, but I hope to see them in the finale. Something tells me that this is when we finally get to see what happens with the "king." The actor does a really great job of playing him, though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Spoilers FFS!

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

^I'm not sure what you mean.

14. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Your post has spoilers for upcoming events. This thread is meant for show discussion only.

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

Oh. Sorry about that. I'll put the Catelyn thing under a spoiler tag, but considering that no one knows what will happen with her character, it's not a spoiler for the series.

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

I've already been to that thread, but thanks.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

WTF, Game Of Thrones? That episode was back to just an hour! Was it cut in the UK? All this season have been one and a quarter with ads, not just an hour.

I'm still betting Lady Stoneheart's appearance will be the end of season cliffhanger.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Dude, spoilers. This isn't the thread for the books.

20. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, seriously. Last year I dropped out of these threads after the book reader dudes kept mentioning Arya/Tywin scenes are not in the books. It may have not seemed like a spoiler, but it was to me as it took a lot of tension out of those scenes (I assumed they won't deviate too much from books, so I knew Tywin will not figure out who Arya is).

I stayed out this season but came back for this episode to see the reactions to the shocking events. I kind of regret it now.