COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wonder if the Botany Bay isn't like the treasure/weapon everyone is racing to get to first in the movie?

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

In some ways, it could be. Or its crew. I've kind of thought the Botany Bay was found, who its crew is discovered, and the Federation, with no idea what to do with them, keeps them in stasis in secret London. A Guantanamo type of thing, at least until they decide what to do with them.
    Harrison, whos's been studying them, "goes Marla," to the point of even enhancing himself. He believes they should be released. He also knows Starfleet's fear of that.
    The line Spock has in "Space Seed" about whether or not the Federation would want it known that all those Napoleons are loose in the galaxy triggered the thought in my mind. There's also the moral issue of reviving them or keeping them in stasis given they may be criminals. Hence, Harrison's position wouldn't be totally without merit.

Of course that opinion and five bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's as good of a theory as any other we have right now. :techman:

4. Franklin

I'm cutting and pasting that post into a Word document to save, and I'll bring it back and blast it all over these boards on May 18, if I'm correct. :lol:

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking something similar to this, only it's not Starfleet who gets the Botany Bay, but instead it's a more aggressive faction within Starfleet that forms after the Nero-Vulcan events.
    And they get the whole Khan story and location from a classified report by Spock Prime, who shared it with the Starfleet of this universe as a warning.

6. Franklin

In "Space Seed", Kirk said the disapperance of the Botany Bay was never in history texts (that would mean all the way into the 23rd century). Spock responded it was probably because it was thought a war-weary people would be frightened by the prospect of all those Napoleons out and about, somewhere.

So, a cover-up. A conspiracy on Earth and in the Federation to keep the truth from the people. It's just two throwaway lines between Kirk and Spock in the "Space Seed" story, but it is a major cover-up, nonetheless.

Now, the Botany Bay appears to a Federation that just lost Vulcan. The thinking? Cover it up. Eighty Napoleons being secretly held in stasis because the Federation is afraid to do anything else. So, you think you're safe? It's just an illusion.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just Earth as after the cover up the knowledge could have been lost to time. There was a nuclear war a couple of decades after Khan disappeared.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If you're going to infiltrate Starfleet, the sideburns are kinda essential. I seem to recall Mr Norman, in "I, Mudd", carrying off a convincing infiltration of Kirk's crew.

And most shapechangers have no problem with sideburns.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find all this talk of regulation Starfleet sideburns rather amusing considering Captain Kirk's.:)

10. Franklin

Exactly. Pine is very early-21st century in his haircut and all. In ST09, Quinto had sideburns that looked like he had spitcurls that were formed into the shape and could be combed out to look like regular sideburns when the gel was washed out and they were combed straight.

The funny thing is how in TOS, the sideburns went from "Starfleet short" in 1966 to "Starfleet long" by season three to reflect the late-1960s style. Shatner shows it best. Even if you can't see his increased girth or different tunic, you can tell it's season three by the length of his sideburns.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

How the hell do they get the pointed tip on the Starfleet sideburns, anyway? I found it impossible to line the razor up so I gave up.

I know, the actors probably have hairstylists to do it for them, but we're supposed to believe that everyone in Starfleet shaves in this manner so it's a legitimate enough question.

Not that it matters much, I shave my head completly bald these days anyway, but I'm still curious all the same.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Genetic engineering.

13. The Wormhole

Is illegal in the Federation.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Controlled hair growth is such a little thing, that they look the other way.

15. The Wormhole

Thing is, just think of all the funky hairdos we should be seeing. Maybe not for Starfleet officers, there's probably regulations, but civilians would be having a field day if they could manipulate hair growth like that.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Tell that to the women in TOS, especially Janice Rand.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek Movie Report and Aint it cool news had announced last year that it was Khan after hearing the news from reliable sources. I take everything with a large pinch of salt from AICN but Trek Movie Report less so. Of course IT'S STILL RUMOR but there is nothing yet that proves that it isn't Khan. We've played these "it's not such and such a villain" in other movies before. So until I see the movie and until there's no big reveal that "oh my God this boring named guy Harrison who has super human strength is Khan!" then I will believe that it might or might not be Khan. There is still Zero evidence to say it ISN'T KHAN. Or if you would like to take the word of Simon Pegg who played a game and convinced his twitter followers one time that he might be dead then go ahead and take it at face value.

"I see no ships."

!!!!!!

18. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

By saying genetic engineering is forbidden, I feel that the person saying this is making a universal statement. From the "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" episode, I learned that the Federation permitted DNA resequencing for serious birth defects. This restriction in genetic engineering was created as a firewall against the supermen and superwomen who fought in the Eugenics Wars.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't have any evidence that the villain isn't Khan; what we have are public statements by several people who are engaged in part of the production effort to keep the identity of the villain a secret.

And BTW, it's entirely possible that the majority of actors in the film don't know the actual identity of the character that Cumberbatch is playing, either. In some ways actors are the easiest people to keep in the dark about such stuff. :lol:

The suggestion that the villain is Khan is not based on a single rumor somewhere, but on several inside sources talking to writers at several websites over some period of time. There is no way of knowing yet just how this will pan out - but then, it sounded fairly outlandish a couple of years before Trek 2009 was released, when Drew McWeeny suggested online that just maybe Abrams was about to blow up Vulcan. ;)

20. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Not a fan of Daily Variety or The Hollywood Reporter, I take it.

We'll dismiss the Entertainment Weekly fiasco, however, because that was clearly just the work of a trekkie-hating employee with an axe to grind.