Peanuts movie coming to theaters in 2015

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

First one since 1980.

LA Times

I'm glad it's not going to be live-action or a re-imagining or some crap like that. :techman:

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, there is a live action stage play. It was actually pretty good. I used to have the album.

The question is, will they go with a traditional cell shading art style, or CG art style (we all know it will most likely be computer animated either way)

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trying to do Charlie Brown in 3D or anything other than flat line art just doesn't work. Schulz's minimalist style only translates to 2D. Anything else looks creepy.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's to hoping it'll be in old 2d. :) Love the old Peanuts cartoons and it would be nice to see another Peanuts feature. It's timeless.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Everyone knew the Peanuts comic strip would end when Charles Schultz died. The strip was such a personal creation, no one else could possibly have continued it.

Well, at least this project has the involvement of Schultz's progeny, so I'm hoping for the best.

BTW, not that it's germane to the topic, but my brother went to school with two of the boys who did the voice of Linus in the TV cartoons.

I guess you could call that cartoon-dropping. :)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Didn't one of the Linuses (Lini?) play a Vorta on DS9?

7. the G-man

Pick up any U.S. newspaper. Look at the comics page. Shudder at the terrible, terrible, "legacy" strips being churned out by the progeny of the original creators: Blondie, Beetle Bailey, For Better or For Worse, Shoe, Hagar the Horrible, etc.

These crappy strips, and others, make it abundantly clear that having the involvement of the original creator's family is by no means a guarantee of quality and, in fact, might signal the opposite.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I thought For Better Or For Worse was simply rerunning old strips, not trying to create new ones?

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked Peanuts as a kid, especially the holiday specials which I still enjoy, but I'm not sure how much appeal it has now that so much has changed since those days. It's not one of those projects that I feel is somehow too sacred or whatever to try I just can't see it making a big dent.

10. scotpens

Well, I wouldn't know. I haven't read the newspaper "funny pages" in years.

I can just see the new, "edgy" Peanuts movie: Linus finally gets therapy for his blanket obsession. Lucy gets a life coach to help improve her personality. Charlie Brown attempts suicide. Snoopy gets euthanized.

11. the G-man

My apologies. I meant to include "the Lockhorns," not FBOFW, in the list of crappy legacy strips

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as it's not "live action / cartoon" shit going on I'm fine with it.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My god enough already. It stopped being funny 40 years ago. Now it's just nostalgia.. which is fine though, if that's what people want. I won't be watching it.

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

If it's 2D animation, I'll give it a shot. If not, I won't.

15. the G-man

...which tends to prove my point, vis a vis the lack of quality where a cartoonist's family carries on his work.

16. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or "computer generated blandishment" anyway.

Justin

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yikes. I'm not sure what to think of this. I guess it's good that his family has oversight, as long as they understand what made the strip a classic and have the integrity to enforce it. I'm a little alarmed that someone involved in the Horton remake is involved, though. I really hope this isn't CGI.

18. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

Posted in the wrong thread, ignore

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah I'm... nervous to say the least about this. Could be good - could be crappy. I guess the problem is - everyone has in their mind, an idea of what a Peanuts movie would look like and I dunno if a cel shaded 3D or full 3D movie would 'fly' - part of the Peanuts charm was the old school feel.

20. scotpens

It was the cheap and simple but faithful animation, and the use of real children rather than adult voice actors to provide the character voices. And the Vince Guaraldi jazz score. :techman: