Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: How excited are you that I'm here?
W00t!! Let's get this party started! 214 71.10%
I'm ok with it, I'll live. 61 20.27%
Meh. 19 6.31%
BOO!! GO AWAY!!! 7 2.33%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28 2015, 01:12 PM   #1216
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant

Re: Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

I'm from Germany and a fan since i first saw the pilot of TNG on TV in 1990!
I love speculating about Trek and reading the novels, which i like to read in original.
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 02:40 PM   #1217
Kal
Ensign

Hmmm, I intended to read all posts so I could have context and avoid saying anything that was oversaid by newbies, but then I saw the amount of posts so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and be the cheesy newbie that I am! I am a fan of all series and enjoy revisiting them, except for TOS, because I think it withstands the test of time better if it isn't looked at too much. It is legendary, the cast are legends, nuff said.

I never actually considered joining a forum before cos I've always been a passive fan, but I was re-watching Enterprise and it struck me to google Brana and see what he was up to. I do not begrudge a man (and another legend) his retirement but to me it kinda hit hard that with Roddenberry's heir gone, the chances of there ever being another series of the quality and intelligence we have previously enjoyed, are astronomical, bad pun fully intended.

So, ye, it kinda hit me a wee bit hard. I think I took it for granted really, that Trek would always be there with good stories, impressive new aliens and cultures, and always the important undertone of goodwill and the best of humanity that was Roddenberry's legacy. And here I am. I guess I felt I needed to do something, even if it was just jabber with some folk

Aaaand here's where edit kicks in, kinda forgot to mention in the 'Get to know you thread' any hint of personal information. So I guess the first thing I won't be mentioning is my attention to detail. I'm Irish, Born in Dublin; unfortunatly when I was five we moved from that grimy Metropolis to a house in County Kerry, right beside the beach. The humanity! On account of being born with an immune system as strong as wet tissue, most of my early life has been spent in the company of my many cousins (any book I could find) and my dear uncle telly. I eventually got healthier, prolly cos doc informed me alternative was stabling out at something the other direction. Still maintained contacts with my cousins and uncle though. Oh, and, I don't have a twitter account, because in case you haven't guessed, limiting characters is not my forte. Sorry ><

On a final note, Hi Unimatrix Q! I'd do well to learn from you and be concise. TNG pilot was also my first introduction to the marvellous that has united everybody here in appreciation of a shared imagination.

Last edited by Kal; June 28 2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spreading out wall of text and adding personal info previously left out
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2015, 06:23 AM   #1218
TolkienOtaku
Ensign

So I first joined this forum a year and a half ago. As you can tell by my lack of an icon, I let my interest drift away from this site. I blame TVTropes. Meaning it's time to introduce (reintroduce?) myself.

I am a 26 year old woman living in Utah (yes, I'm Mormon. No, I wasn't born in Utah. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Mormons). Due to mental health issues, I still live with my parents and am only now seriously working towards going to the University of Utah to major in Chinese.

Star Trek is probably the first fandom I ever had. I remember watching episodes of TNG as a young child. It's always been a part of my life, and probably always will be.

My other major fandoms include the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, anime (favs include but are not limited to Fullmetal Alchemist and Puella Magi Madoka Magica), the Kingdom Hearts video game series (thank you, E3!), Avatar: The Last Airbender and it's sequel series, The Legend of Korra, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hobbies include reading, writing fanfic (crossovers are the best!), playing games on Facebook, and listening to music. Said music is an eclectic mix of Enya, bluegrass, classical, movie soundtracks, traditional Chinese, Japanese pop, Japanese pop sung by singing synthesizers (aka Vocaloid), and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Now for some possibly controversial Trek opinions. I like the reboot movies. A lot. I think they are a great way to revitalize the franchise, though I do agree that the lens flare could be toned down.

Secondly, I also like Star Wars. It has been just as much a part of my brain as Star Trek. I like both franchises for different reasons, and see no reason why one can't be a fan of both.

Wow, I'm wordy tonight. Hope to be more active here!
Old June 29 2015, 11:24 PM   #1219
JD5000
Captain

Welcome, TolkienOtaku.

I think the idea of a Mormon sci-fi fan makes perfect sense.

One thing I've learned in life is that everyone's opinion is controversial, so welcome to the board and I'm sure you'll find you fit in just fine.
Old June 29 2015, 11:42 PM   #1220
TolkienOtaku
Ensign

JD5000 wrote: View Post
Welcome, TolkienOtaku.

I think the idea of a Mormon sci-fi fan makes perfect sense.

One thing I've learned in life is that everyone's opinion is controversial, so welcome to the board and I'm sure you'll find you fit in just fine.
Thanks for the welcome!
Old June 30 2015, 12:07 AM   #1221
JD5000
Captain

You're...welcome?

/redundancy