Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Update: I am now down 16 pounds!!!

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Takin' selfies in the weird jungle bathroom in my gym.
    (kinda blurry because I couldn't keep my hand still)

[​IMG]

3. Peach Wookiee

Nice, Ro!!

And as of today, I'm down 31 pounds!:luvlove::luvlove:

ETA: It's been a rapid change in diet, exercise and will power coupled with the epiploic appendagitis acting as a stomach staple.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you guys can see them, these are my overall progress photos. This summer was the first time I felt proud to be seen sans shirt while at the beach, and I'm pretty proud of the progress I've made:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152181897310807&l=b7a5abae8b

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152181898545807&l=c2c954a4d4

I'm floating in the low 150 pound range now, and hoping to kick it down to the low-mid 140s and maintain there by Christmas.

But yeah, I've realized that once you get to a healthy range, the number doesn't mean nearly as much as how you feel you look in the mirror. I've lost a ton of weight but now that I'm shifting into a maintenance lifestyle, It's more about what I fit into and how I look when wearing it (or for that matter, not wearing it). I've got a paunch of loose skin left that I doubt I'll ever really get rid of, but even that isn't a priority anymore over stuff like the next target outfit, being able to lift X pounds Y times, and training to run up the local tower stair climb race.

When you're overweight or obese, the number on the scale DOES matter IMO, and is a great indicator of progress. But when you get down to a healthy weight, obsessing over that number won't help as much as more subjective fitness or image-related goals.

Mark

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I recently cracked 180 for the first time since I was 13, and got down to size 33 for the first time since I started wearing jeans.

Also hit my goal of 130 miles run in August, hoping to hit 140 in September. Should be easier with the lower temperatures. What I haven't been keeping up with as well is the lifting part of my workouts.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's just no fun lifting if you can't take douchey selfies.

[​IMG]

7. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Well, right now I'm at my heaviest, about 240 lbs. My average used to be around 180-190 when I worked at a job that involved a lot of walking around for 8+ hours. But 2 years ago I started working full time in my dad's office, which brought my active time down to almost nothing.

I've tried making time to exercise, even getting a gym membership, but the motivation is never there. I tried walking around my neighborhood and biking, but nothing ever sticks for more than a few days.

I just got an exercise bike and placed it in front of my TV down in the basement. So far this week, I've exercised for a little over 40 minutes for the past 3 days while I watched something. This may be the motivation I need, as sad as that sounds.

Cravings for my favorites foods are still there. I'm finding it much harder to eat healthier than to exercise. So my diet still needs some help. I'm really hoping this is the start of a long journey to my ideal weight. :)

8. JirinPanthosa

The same thing happened to me when I got a desk job. Shot from 185 up to 210.

For me, the thing that gave me motivation was getting into obstacle course races. Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Superhero Scramble, Tough Mudder, any of them.

9. Peach Wookiee

I've made time to exercise and feel pretty good. I swim up at the pool near my brother's place. It's nice!

10. Mark_Nguyen

My usual workout is an hour on the treadmill while watching something. I've been able to catch up on a ton of stuff this way! I've been supplementing it with sets of pullups (bought a cheap pullup bar and installed it permanently downstairs) and alternating that with sets of situps, pushups and other ups.

When I get bored of that, lately I've been doing some of Beachbody's workout sets that my wive likes. Cutting down on the treadmill time allows me to do the shorter daily workout sets (T25 and P90X3) and still give me some room to catch up on an episode of something.

Yes, you gotta make the time. My solution is to wake up early and do it first thing in the morning. Get it out of the way, and use that "me time" like you would for other nerdy activities (i.e. watching stuff), while working out. I've found that it gives me tons of energy and keeps me awake all day.

Mark

11. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

This is definitely the truth. I've found that I'm much happier on days that I work out first thing. Tons of energy throughout the day. At one point I tried going to the gym after work, but I never felt like going. After working for 8 hours I just want to relax.

I love the idea that I can watch Netflix, Amazon or Hulu while I'm working out. Why not use the very things that caused my couch potato tendencies for me instead of against me? :)

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can't work out first thing. I mean, I could, but it never goes very well. Being up for several hours and moving around is like a warmup for my body. I can always workout harder and longer when I've been up for a while.

13. JirinPanthosa

I ran my first half marathon today. Finished in 1:53:11, a few minutes faster than my goal.

I agree it's hard for me to work out first thing in the morning. Or rather, it's hard for me to run. Upper body workout it's fine, it's probably because there's less blood in your legs when you first wake up.

I find I'm most in the mood to work out right after work, because I have a mostly sit down job.

14. Mark_Nguyen

I'm just the opposite - after all day at work and then commuting home, supper, cleaning up and family time are the priorities, leaving very little time for me to work out.

That's perfectly fine though, if there's one thing I've learned in my fitness journey, it's that everyone's will be different. A good buddy of mine has lost over 110 pounds so far this year (starting at 340), mostly through portion control and healthy eating, but adding increasing amounts of cardio and body weight exercises. I'd never have done it as hardcore as he's doing it, but man is it awesome to see a fellow nerd get fit. Different path, same end points. Just find something that works for you, then do it consistently and add to it as time goes by. Fitness is a lifestyle, and never, ever a one-time fix.

Mark

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fair enough. My "commute" is only about 5 minutes long, and I come home to an empty house. I also don't get home from work until 4am, and my gym opens at 5am, so it works out pretty perfectly.

As a result of this, however, my sleep schedule is completely jacked up.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's time for another...

DOUCHEY GYM SELFIE!!!

[​IMG]

17. JirinPanthosa

When I was working at a job where I was on my feet moving around all day, I'd get home, plop down, watch movies and play video games.

When I've been sitting on my butt all day, the last thing I want to do is continue sitting on my butt for several more hours. I need to get out and move around.

18. JDobbs

JDobbs Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I use 5x5, 3 days on 1-2 days off.

Just getting the diet back under control.

19. JirinPanthosa

They used a picture of me throwing a spear in a Spartan Race in Mud & Obstacle magazine!

It's an article about proper form for the spear toss. They probably picked my picture because they made a point about standing as close to the barrier as possible and my leg was directly against it.

Still, awesome!

20. Peach Wookiee

Yay, Jirin! :)

I've started incorporating my mom into my fitness. Since she's at a nursing home right now, I've taken her out for a walk on the floor for a few laps. It's good for us both. And even with my eating a lot of fast food lately, I haven't done damage to my waistline or my poundage.