Tropic Thunder Grading and Discussion - Spoilers.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Grade Tropic Thunder

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. While it was a great concept and there were some knockout moments, the movie was a bit uneven.

I wonder why the cut out the Alpa Chino scene from the trailer where he wanted to act all Wesley Snipes coming out of the chopper.

The people I went with didn't know who Lance Bass was, so that joke fell really flat. I don't remember Alicia Silverstone at the Oscars. Where was she? Also, Jennifer Love Hewitt looked hot.

Who was the fifth actor for Best Actor -- Hanks, Penn, Voight, "Speedman" and...?

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

^I think it was Kirk Lazarus, actually.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think Lazarus was up there -he wouldn't be presenting an award that he was up for. Tobey Mcguire was up there for his role in "Satan's Alley."

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched it. Limited Internet access... so, I'll just say, perhaps one of the best "anti"-War films ever (no, not in the war is hell sense). It takes shots from so many Vietnam war films that it's the epitome of pastiche done well.

Then the fact that it turns into a parody of itself when it references "Heart of Darkness" at the end? Fucking eh.

5. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure if everyone's seen the mockumentary viral site for this movie that spoofs Heart of Darkness big-time:

rainofmadness.com

The interviews with Lazarus (moving in with the real Osiris' family!) are hilarious

6. Trekker4747

Just watched a handful of these, hillarious. I grow more impressed with RDJ. I hope these, or a "more complete" documentary is in the DVD.

One question though:
    In the movie the "real" Tayback eventually reveals that his book (on which the movie they're making is based) was a work of fiction. Thus, there should be no "real Sgt. Osiris family."

7. Pensive

only if Tayback wasn't actually in the military at any point. And I can't remember right now if he faked both the book AND his military service.

In either case, it's still hilarious about Lazarus shacking up with the family for however-long. The "baptism" and magic-marker bit had me rolling in the floor...not to mention praying to Anubis (not to take a giant dump on them):guffaw::guffaw:

8. Trekker4747

Tayback tells the Pyro-Guy that the only service he's had is that of as a sanitation worker in the Coast Guard.

9. Pensive

ahh that's right (damn the gin I sneaked in really messed with my detail memory)

Osiris was probably real, since the guy's wife was met while in Vietnam or wherever... even funnier if they were just playing along for some unknown reason!

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Funnily enough, the guy playing Jan Jurgen, the documentary filmmaker, is Justin Theourx, who wrote Tropic Thunder.

11. Pensive

Yeah I noticed that... I can't wait to see what he does with the Iron Man 2 script

12. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was boring. The only time I laughed was when Tom Cruise was on screen.

13. Aragorn

After watching this movie, I'm thinking The Hardy Men shouldn't be Cruise and Stiller -- it should be Cruise and Downey.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

No argument there. I don't find Stiller that funny at all. He was the least funniest guy in Tropic Thunder.

15. Aragorn

Timothy P. Shriver, chairman of the Special Olympics, who led a boycott of Tropic Thunder (boy, that sure worked), asked Congress (yes, that Congress) for a resolution to condemn the movie as hate speech. Anyone know what became of that?

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Didn't know that about Shriver.

At any rate Tropic Thunder crossed the $100m mark this weekend.

17. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what happened to that proposed resolution, but when it's glaringly obvious that the whole "Simple Jack" thing and the "never go Full Retard" conversation is a satirical jab at actors and the industry they work in, it seems that someone, somewhere is missing the point entirely.

18. Trekker4747

I think we've this little thing called the First Amendment which will get in the way.

Is this reatard going to get every movie, TV show, book, song and other piece of work that uses the word "retard" in it condemed as hate speech?

19. Pensive

Probably nothing, because that's retarded.

Kudos to TT for passing 100mil! :bolian: I saw it again last week, and it was even better (caught lots of dialogue I missed the first time around due to laughing)

20. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw it the other day, and laughed my ass off. Most enjoyable comedy I"ve seen all summer. Oh, and don't forget about Danny McBride the Pyro operator, that guy had a lot of good scenes as well.

Loved the fake trailers, the movie within a movie idea, RDJ, and Tom Cruise. I even enjoyed Matthew Mcougheny(?). This is probably been some of his best work in a long time. I heard that his part was originally made for Owen Wilson, but this was about the same time Wilson was having some personal problems, so MM filled the role. And I think that they were better for it. I think it would have fell flat with Wilson.

And I love how Stiller always manages to throw some kind of Trek refrence in his movies. Hell the name of his production company comes from Return of the Archons.

"I don't know what it is, all I know is the sound it makes when someone LIES."