The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

These new TV Spots just popped up online over at YouTube. I highly suggest skimming over my post if you don't want to see any new footage.

TV Spot 10 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjyB-RDsss8

TV Spot 11 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJK5J8SPck

TV Spot 12 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lo578I-HIA

TV Spot 13 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZ-e0k50yc

TV Spot 14 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5fv3pvHzm0

TV Spot 15 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEKVMJK5NEY

If you are curious but don't want nothing ruined, I recommend checking out Spot 15. Minimize your browser so you don't see the video. Just listen to the video and you'll know what I mean.

2. msbae

msbae Commodore

Re: Six new tv spots for The Dark Knight

Spot #12 revealed some rather interesting info on the Joker's psychology.

I'm starting to wonder why I ever doubted that Heath Ledger would make a good Joker.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

Re: Six new tv spots for The Dark Knight

Cool heliicopter shot.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Re: New Dark Knight Viral Poster

I love the Batman symbol made out of "ha's". The design with the H at the top and the upside down A at the bottom is really well done.

6. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Dark Knight Viral Poster

I think I saw that poster as one of the things being included in the Batman Begins super deluxe DVD set coming out on Tuesday.

7. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

Question about Dark Knight and IMAX

Hello all,

As someone who's very excited to see TDK, I'm considering making it the first "real" movie I will see in an IMAX theater. I've seen documentaries and the like in IMAX, but never a Hollywood movie.

My question is this: How do they handle the aspect ratio? Is it going to be where the scenes in TDK shot specificaly for IMAX will fill the screen, and then for the rest there will be black bars on the top and bottom to make it 2.35 to 1 or whatever aspect ratio it has?

Thanks!

8. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Question about Dark Knight and IMAX

A movie doesn't have to be shot in IMAX (I believe TDK is the first to have done so) to be shown in IMAX. All the shots will fill the screen, just the ones shot in IMAX will have a great deal more detail and resolution.

9. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

I was afraid of that. I don't really want to see the rest of the movie cropped to fit a TV-shaped screen.....

Still, I can always check this out on IMAX after I've seen it once in a normal theater in widescreen.

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

That is my understanding of such. The same will be true in the theatre, though. The IMAX scenes will "expand" further than the normal screen borders in the traditional theatre.

I've never seen a movie in IMAX. Saw some documentary stuff as a kid. Going to see TDK in IMAX though. Pity I can't see it at 12:01 AM for such. Ah well, just seeing it in IMAX will do me.

11. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

The non-IMAX portions will NOT be cropped during the IMAX presentation. They will simply be shown at different aspect ratios. The non-IMAX scenes, when presented on IMAX, will be blown up to fit the screen, but not distorted or cropped.

The only version that will be cropped is the normal, theatrical version, and only during the IMAX-filmed sequences. However, these scenes were shot with both the IMAX and theatrical versions in mind, so nothing truly "important" will be cropped for the non-IMAX versions of the IMAX scenes - Chris Nolan made sure of that. Still, there is less to the image, so you might as well see it in IMAX if possible. There's literally no reason you shouldn't (again, nothing gets cropped from the theatrical version) - unless you're worried about the slightly higher ticket prices.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Horizons review of The Dark Knight - by Garth

Possible spoilers at link. SPOILERS...maybe....SPOILERS...maybe...SPOILERS

Dark Horizons review by site creator Garth Franklin

He gives a very glowing review. He does state that while Maggie is an improvement over Katie that this angle in the film is still the weakest part of the story.

As a testament to how dark, gritty and rough this movie is going to be I found this last paragraph of his interesting.

13. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Re: Dark Horizons review of The Dark Knight - by Garth

This time next week, i will be enjoying this film in all its wonderful glory. My expectations are sky high at the moment, I hope i wont be let down.

14. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

Something to ponder: The Dark Knight isn't all that much about Batman

Over at Newsarama, there's a review which points out that TDK is an amazing movie, and that while Ledger's performance is the work of genius we've all heard it is, the one thing the movie seems to lack is a focus on The Batman himself.

The author then points out that the previous Batfilm series paid less attention to the titular character and focused on the villains entirely too much.

I agree, which is why I can't re-watch any of those films, not even Burton's first film.

I never considered that TDK might have this problem, but after reading this review, it makes me a little concerned. After all, who took center stage in all the hype over the last two years? Leger's at the time unusual casting and how The Joker would be portrayed.

The next "big deal" was Eckhart's Dent and whether or not he'd become Two-Face, and then how Two-Face would be portrayed.

Outside of bashing the new Batsuit, it doesn't seem that many folks give two shits about The Batman himself.

He is the star of these films, and while a great hero is defined in some part by his villains, I find it odd that more folks don't care about The Batman.

That's the reason I'm going see this film. Not because of Ledger's last performance, not because I think the Joker's a great character because he's a twisted fuck, not because I want to see the Batpod or the new suit.

I want to see a good movie with The Batman, one of the greatest characters in modern fiction, as the focal point and center.

The last two movies that did this were Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Begins.

Will The Dark Knight be remembered as such?

\S/

15. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Something to ponder: The Dark Knight isn't all that much about Bat

Everyone is hyped up about TDK, myself included. However I do fear it might not live up to the hype. Remember Superman Returns? Or Spiderman 3? Yeah, call me a cynic, but I'll still watch it.

16. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

whats a batpod?

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

its to play bat-tunes.

seriously, it's his new tumbler-style motorcycle.

18. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I think Ledger's Joker is receiving a lot of hype, for a couple of reasons - of course his death, but before that because people are rather amazed that anyone would follow Jack Nicholson - though that baffles me since his Joker was pretty weak IMHO. It was the exact opposite of what Ledger's performance is being reported as. Ledger supposedly disappears into the role, which an actor should do with something as elemental as Joker, whereas in Batman '89 it wasn't Joker but Jack Nicholson as the Joker!

However, the reviews I've seen from respected critics have made plenty enough reference to Bruce Wayne's development for me to have few fears that the movie will actually be about Batman. Every interview I've read from Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale are all about what happens to Batman as a character, for which Joker is a means to an end. Recall the hype of Ra's al Ghul for Batman Begins. And that movie was completely about Batman.

Ledger's tragic death is going to continue to draw media attention. Who cares? The media isn't the movie.

19. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

snazzy

20. Defiant-A

Defiant-A Commodore Commodore

Trailers Before The Dark Knight

Over at JoBlo, they have a listing of a few of the trailers that will be before The Dark Knight.

It will have a trailer for Body of Lies, Terminator 4 and Watchmen, all of which I am pretty excited to see. Now, herein lies the rub. I have tickets to see the movie in IMAX, which if I remember correctly, they don't show the same trailers, but I don't remember. Does anyone know if they will show these trailers before the IMAX version or no?

http://joblo.com/index.php?id=21920&s=