TNG HD DVD? Is there? If so would you? If you?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by PhotoM, Dec 10, 2007.

1. PhotoM

PhotoM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I did it. I went High Def. Nice 46 inch Sharp. Next thing I did was decided on the HD DVD format. Why? Well Star Trek and Paramount in general played a role.

So the question's are?
    1. Anybody heard anything about TNG on HD DVD
    2. Would you buy them at lets say $100 season
    3. If you have already bought them in DVD and they are said to be better in HD DVD would you buy them again?

For me I got them all except Enterprise and The Original. Usually at Walmart for a $100. I have to say if they were remastered. Cleaned up made close to HD quality then I would. Only makes sense to me since I bought my first DVD player days before the Trek DVD's started to be released.

2. PhotoM

PhotoM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Remastered?
    Not anything big. Just the quality brought up to HD notch and what would be really cool would be make that ship move;) Different angles of the ship. I dont think adding scenes is a good idea.

Have to admit it would be pretty bad azz to see the Enterprise in Q who flying like a bat out of hell into camera view firing aft torpedos with the borg ship zooming by fast getting hit.

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I bought all the DVD sets when they originally came out and I'll probably do the same in HD, but I'm waiting to see which one wins out. Although, both formats are relatively cheap now anyway.

4. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

Next Gen, should get remastered into HD DVD. sound, video, picture should all be cleared up. The NCC-1701-D should be altered as to how it looked in the later seasons.
    The whole show should be compltey remastered a far at they want to take it. DS9, Enterprise, and Voyager should be next to be remastered.
    the Next Series should be set on an even newer Enterprise, the NCC-1701-G and be all HD.

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After seeing the HD Disc of TOS and the vast, vast improvement on my plasma. I vote hell yes.

And I am for updating the effects as well. NOw which Enterprise the original model or the 4 foot model. I would say based on the 6 ft, with of course the change needed for any structural changes made in the 7th season (ten forward, ect).

As for 100 a set. Sure I spent that much on the normal DVD's spent more on that for the VHS tapes and more then that on the laser disc.

Hell I have been dreaming of this since seeing just the higher quality images used on the dvds for Enterprise. THe 1701D was stunningly beautiful. And that just DVD quality on HD would be even higher.

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, Enterprise doesn't need any remastering as it was filmed, and posted in native 1080i HD format from the start.

7. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I've been catching reruns on HDNet. It looks great!

As for TNG, I'm just curious how they're gonna get around the film/video issue with the effects. I'm sure the technology in some form or another is there. The earlier seasons (obviously) could use the most clean up. The latter seasons hold up surprisingly well I think.
    I don't want them doing too many CGI redos of the exterior shots of the ship either. There's something to be said for the natural beauty of the models. I actually think the earlier exterior shots with the 6 footer are much more well done than some of the later 4 footer flybys. There's much less of sense of depth with the 4 footer I think. Those they could clean up.

My 0.02 :bolian:

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like for all the TNG ship shots to be redone with a CG model that closely resembles the six-foot filming miniature. The four-footer always looked like a toy to me.

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd pay $100 a set if they redid every single FX shot down to the "piss" phasers (to make them look more like energy weapons and not "Water cannons")

I'd be all for adding extra FX shots and scenes even, that's one of the things that hurts the series a lot, it's always the same shots of the same matter paintings and such.

Give TNG the "Doomsday Machine" treatment and it'd be worth the $100 a season

If they are just going to do "minor" polishings then there's no point.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

There is an interesting discussion on the technical aspects of such a transfer in a previous thread here:

link

Personally I'm all for it. :D Would buy, or at least enjoy it in syndication.