a new Western as a TV episodic series? discuss

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, May 5, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Gunslinger in development

Well it looks like another show is in the works.
    Hell on Wheels and now
    August 15 2011,
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/detroit-1-8-7-duo-re-teams-for-new-abc-drama-project

David Zabel is also a Trek veteran writing a VOY episode:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0951390/
    Star Trek: Voyager (TV series)
    Pathfinder (1999) (story / teleplay)
    #610 Pathfinder

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118041076?refcatid=14&printerfriendly=true

same name
    Gunslinger (2012)
    Action | Thriller | Western
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510753/
    Director: Mennan Yapo
    Writer: Jeff Strebinger

so probably the TV show would have a title change for 2012-2013 TV season if a pilot gets made in 2012.

I'm just happy to have another show in development...for a broadcast network!

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I know, how awful that channels might want to make and other people might want to watch the sort of show you don't like. Obviously, they should only ever make shows you want to see. God forbid you should have to just watch something else.

3. jefferiestubes8

Yes we all have our dislikes. I do not like Civil War related films nor Medieval period movies.
    The genres of sword and sandals as well as sword and chainmail do not interest me.
    I do like the ideas in Westerns and use of horses in the mid-to-late 1800s in the American West. Steam railroads add an element of technology to that period.
    Since I'm under 40 I do like a modern take on things and not a black and white sweeping epic Western. I can totally appreciate Once Upon A Time in the West though.

The TV as a storytelling medium though allows for more fleshed out characters and longer story and character arcs over a series. Serialized storytelling has come of age in 30 years (since Hill St. Blues started it (not coming under the soap opera heading of the 1960s Peyton Place) with The Wonder Years, The West Wing, ER, NYPD Blue, The Sopranos, Alias, Heroes, Jericho, etc.
    With a serialized story we get a lot better story for essentially a very long movie.
    With modern storytelling and the ability to show violence on cable tv and broadcast TV with TV14 V ratings you can get a pretty good story involving fights, hangings, and gunplay in a Western.
    A new Western would not duplicate an episode of Gunsmoke.
    HBO's Deadwood, and to some extent FX's Justified and CBS' Jericho are modern-day westerns on television.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gunslinger? Sounds promising.

5. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

There was a series produced by Spielberg that sort of looked like a western.

Any idea what i am talking about?

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The miniseries, Into the West? I tried watching it - incredibly boring!

But the Western genre can encompass any number of story types. Hell on Wheels sounds like an interesting and unusual take on the genre. A show revolving around a "gunslinger" doesn't seem quite as fresh but there are no details on it yet. I'd like to see variations on the genre we haven't seen before - not so many gunslingers, cowboys and wagon trains.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. Many of the classic screen westerns don't involve Indians at all: Shane, The Magnificent Seven, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Cowboys, True Grit, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, etc.

Westerns can also be about "cowboy vs. cowboy," or "lawman versus outlaw," etc.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, the story of the Earps and Clantons at the O.K. corral may be one of the best known - and most often filmed - western stories and that has nothing to do with Indians.

9. Temis the Vorta

TNT's doing a Western - Gateway.

Sounds fairly traditional:

A sanitized Deadwood? TNT is staking out a middle ground between broadcast and the saucier/more risk taking cable outlets.

Could be fun with the right casting. They need to get the likes of Robert Knepper and Adam Baldwin into this show, I don't particularly care in what roles.

10. jefferiestubes8

Yes sounds like a regular TV Western. We'll see how it develops but I hope it is shot in Western Canada instead of Southern California just for the visuals.
    cattle baron? Well sounds like cowboys and horses to me.
    I sure am glad Danny Cannon is directing the pilot he is pretty talented.
    If it goes to series I think the gunplay will be more exciting here on TNT with probably a TV-14 rating than on a broadcast network.
    At least on TNT it has a chance of lasting 13 episodes.

11. Temis the Vorta

It's set in Colorado. Why not shoot it in Colorado? They've got plenty of nice visuals there.

Maybe New Mexico gives better tax credits. Well, it's right next door.

12. jefferiestubes8

Woo hoo genre is on the rise on tv:
    A&E has a 10 episode order for a show:
    http://m.tvline.com/2011/08/breaking-ae-picks-up-longmire-starring-robert-taylor-and-katee-sackhoff/

And others:
    http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2011/08/western-genre-continues-to-gai.php

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. Temis the Vorta

I guess Justified started a trend. But I'm not that big on modern/20th C "Westerns" like Longmire and Ralph Lamb. Gateway and Gunslinger need some element to distinguish them from the run-of-the-mill story, like the way Hell on Wheels has the railroad.

There are a bunch of actors I'd love to see in any of the real historical Westerns - Adam Baldwin, Robert Knepper, William Fichtner, Josh Holloway, etc. Ben Browder as a corrupt cattle baron would be a hoot!

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The problem with big historical Westerns, of course, is that they're expensive. Deadwood was too much for HBO, and I'd be willing to bet that Hell on Wheels is mightily expensive to produce.

I agree, though. The contemporary Westerns like Justified (or, reaching back, Walker, Texas Ranger) don't interest me much at all.

15. Temis the Vorta

I've been meaning to check out Justified on DVD and just saw the premiere episode - WOW!

If anyone wants to make more Westerns like that, be my guest. :D

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

justified is a fantastic show and one of my fav's. I am glad you are enjoying season one. classic favorites have gun will travel and the wild wild west.

17. jefferiestubes8

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Re: Hangtown - from ron moore

Ron Moore wrote for Star Trek for ten years. Writing for a Western makes a lot of sense when you think about it -- a lot of the same conventions are there in both.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it was him, but I remember one of the DS9 writers comparing it to a Western. Sisko was the mayor, Odo the sherriff, Quark the barkeep and of course you had no shortage of varmints and outlaws!

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, it is the final frontier . . . :)