2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The season has technically started, but it really gets going this weekend. Because of that, I guess it's time to get the thread going too. I hope the Giants do well this year but I think the Dodgers win not just the National League, but the world series. Should be a fun, long season and I can't wait till it finally gets started.

Also, I wanted to start this thread with a question. Why is spring training as long as it is? It seems like we all wish the season would be shorter and not end in November, yet we have a month worth of meaningless baseball and this final week feels like a waste more than anything else. Is it a pitcher thing? Is it a hitters thing? Is it both? Is it just revenue for Florida and Arizona? Wish the season started this week.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: 2014 MLB Season

I thought the Dodgers/Diamondbacks series in Australia was pretty cool. The Aussie fans seemed really into it (and very much Dodger-centric, judging from the crowd). And Sydney Cricket Ground worked surprisingly well as a baseball venue.

3. tomalak301

I loved the scenery. I know playing in Australia was not really popular and it's taking away from how people feel about the opening day, but I was really happy for real baseball, and being able to listen to Vin Scully talking Australian History.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel sorry for Nats fans, with Doug Fister being on the DL already. :(

Also because he looks exactly like Agent Smith.

On a completely unrelated matter: John Sterling bingo.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Paging Dr. Andrews, Dr. James Andrews of Birmingham, Alabama.

[​IMG]

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Let another horrible Jays season begin and yes, I'll still be watching even if it's a train wreck.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The Cubs, having no ace, are theretofore saved from having an ace go down with TJ!

8. Timby

They'll make up for it by having Soler, Baez, Bryant and Rizzo get mauled by wolves.

9. Corran Horn

blasphemy!

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, way to jinx the Cubs. Now they'll never win the WS.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I can't wait to watch my first Mets game tomorrow.

12. tomalak301

Brian Wilson imploding is always a beautiful site to behold now. Really do not like the guy, or his stupid beard. He's become a parody of himself.

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know the Twins will suck, and I have hopes for the Rockies, but the incompetent leadership on that team never fails to let me down, so I suspect they'll end up losing 85 - 90 games.
    I really need a new team, and I like most of the deals that Seattle has made this off season, so in the likely event they do well, I may have to jump on that bandwagon.

14. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping the Twins will win at least 71 games. I put a bet on them when I was in Vegas last month and the over/under was 70.5 games. Probably should have bet the under, but I'm a Twins fan and bet with my heart.

Go Twins!!

15. tomalak301

Happy "real" opening day all. Love days like this, for any sport. For some reason though, baseball's opening day resonates more than, day, NHL's opening day. Hopefully the Giants start well with a good win tonight. Mad Bum deserved the ace role and I have a feeling he will deliver.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Seems like a reasonable bet. Isn't the deal basically that every team in baseball is going to win 60 and lose 60, so it's really just the 42 games that seperates the best from the worst? So to win 71 games, all they have to be is not epically bad. Not saying they're going way over that mark, but I'd likely take the over there as well. Not hugely over, but seems reasonable.

17. Timby

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Baseball Analyst 2013: "Bryce needs to scale back the intensity a little bit and stop running into outfield walls."

Baseball Analyst 2014: "Bryce needs to scale back the intensity a little bit and stop running into kicks to the face."

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

This is the first Mets opening day I haven't gone to in a long time. Of course the Mets find the appropriate Mets way of loosing on opening day. Thankfully it's a long season, to suffer for as long as possible.

20. Corran Horn

Cubs - nobody got hurt - nobody got a hit w/ RISP, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.