Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 50th.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gepard, Jul 22, 2013.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

On GRAVITY Cuaron is really doing the no sound in space thing (except musical accompaniment.) Only exception: if she touches an object, there is a sound, as if it is transmitted through her glove or suit, but that's playing pretty straight with things with respect to science, and I am HELLUVA impressed.

I think with a conventional action film (by that I mean something other than Cuaron, who is so far outside the box with his long take stuff that he is pretty much his own thing in my mind) you could do the no sound thing too, but you'd have to be doing rhythmic cutting from inside the ship to exterior, so you'd go from big interior sound effects to NOTHING, and back & forth, increasing the pace as the sequence culminates. I actually did cut some of my s8 stuff that way over 20 years ago, and I could see how it would work if you really slaved over it.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That's how I felt after a certain character's sudden death, but on second viewing I got over it (or I settled in with it) and now I love SERENITY as a full extension of the series, and I actually watch it more often than the series (which is saying an awful lot.)

I do think the VFX in the film were often not quite as good as in the series (they just got too close to the ship for it to hold up in CG), but even if FF had had crummy fx I wouldn't have been upset, as that wasn't what I came for.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this fan loved the movie. This fan also knows tons of other fans who loved the movie.

So...yeah. ;)
    Seriously though, my original remark about Firefly was just a little joke, and shouldn't be taken to seriously. I loved the entire no sound during space scenes, but I also get that having sound can make a scene a lot more intense and interesting. It can work both ways.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There are things I like about the film, but overall I think it simply fails to capture many of the things I liked about the series. Most importantly, the series was an ensemble piece, but the movie sidelines most of the cast in favor of focusing on a few players.

I'd hope that people saw the series before going into the movie, because otherwise the emotional punch of Wash's death is negligible. Since he's landed the ship and been such an incidental character (basically, he flies the ship and that's all), his death is neither a plot complication nor an emotional beat. It's just a cheap shock that comes out of nowhere and is moved on from just as quickly.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I don't think movie execs, theater owners or general audiences are going to be too keen on having a summer blockbuster FX-laden sci-fi movie released in IMAX 3D with Digital THX realistic Surround Sound that...

...has no sound.

Just sayin'...