IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, but still in the context of a conversation about a fictional universe, in which it's assumed that timelines split as a result of human decisions and macroscopic outcomes. If that's the way multiversal physics is presumed to work within the fictional universe (and it almost always is), then it's valid to talk about the fictional universe in those terms, even though it's different from real physics.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, I read an article in New Scientist which detailed some new theories into the human mind and whether part of what makes us human is a quantum brain. If that were true then even our decision-making could be affected by quantum states leading to a split second delay jumping out of a car or ducking to avoid a punch. The theories are out there but fun! ;-P

3. Christopher

^There are "quantum consciousness" theories out there, but they aren't yet supported by evidence, and a lot of them are just part of the woo-woo pseudoscience movement that exploits the public's unfamiliarity with quantum physics to use "quantum" as a catchall "scientific" excuse for whatever mystical twaddle they want to peddle.

4. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Fair!

5. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, like I said, it was New Scientist! Actually there was some real world science behind it. Not as bad as the Venus drug overall.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Issue 59 is apparently going to be the inevitable team up of Abrams Enterprise crew with their Prime Universe counterparts, read here. Once again, IDW draws the Prime Universe characters in the likeness of the original actors in this series.

7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Shasteen is fantastic, I love his style. The July news is out early, isn't it?

If this is the July-August story then what must they have planned for September, the anniversary month?! Mind you this does follow Legacy of Spock, another throwback story

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Answer: NOTHING. IDW solicits just listed #59-60 as the 'Series Finale.'

That's right. For its' 50th Anniversary, Star Trek (the comic book) is cancelled.

Happy birthday.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that's interesting. Does IDW still have the license to do Trek comics, or are they just ending the ongoing Abramsverse series? If it's just this series that's ending, I can see a few reasons behind this such as:
    -The fact Orci is no longer involved with the films might mean he plans to move on from the comics.
    -Beyond could end in a matter which would mean drastic changes to the comic series and so they're ending it as IDW looks into what options if any they have for re-launching. If you've seen Beyond's trailers, you know what I mean by "drastic changes."

10. Christopher

Or it could just be the sort of thing comics do a lot these days, where they "end" a series and then relaunch it with a new #1 issue to boost sales, often with a new creative team and a new story direction.

11. Danlav05

Gee

Are there covers yet?

The new movie hints towards 'drastic changes', maybe the series is being relaunched?

12. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'd love to see a new series launched with the prime universe, TOS, TNG, both, etc. especially with the new TV series on the horizon.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What a kick in the nads! :lol:

14. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it wouldn't surprise me if IDW has something special planned for september, the actual month of Trek's 50th anniversary

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could be relaunching, or just switching over to the occasional miniseries. The ongoing Ghostbusters and Godzilla series both ended, but they are still doing miniseries and crossovers with the character.

16. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Or maybe in this reality Vulcans spent 2000 years exploring their own system going round and round in circles with no interest in colonisation. Or it was a script screw up. I think it was the latter since the novels recognise Vulcan has colonies and canon does (Tuvok was not born on Vulcan but on one of its colonies), Even if there are no Vulcan colonies there must be at least a small percentage of the population who lived elsewhere - A Diaspora. Even 1/2% of 6 billion is 30 million, that is more than enough genetic diversity to start anew. But I Iike your latter explanation, Spock was speaking hyberbole, since he was emotionally compromised.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  17. Nyotarules

I find Spock's musings a good way to explain the differences between TOS and nuTrek in the 'real world', e.g Spock can muse Kirk is taller in this timeline cos he takes after his father and not his mother, Bones inherited his father's brown eyes or something similar lol

18. Christopher

Except that in the movie, Spock Prime recognized Kirk and Scott on sight. Regardless of who played them, the story required them to look the same in-universe -- just as Kirk and McCoy found Glenn Corbett's Zefram Cochrane familiar even though he looked nothing like James Cromwell.

ClayinCA likes this.
  19. Danlav05

Another reason to end is : 'the brand' For the last seven years the JJVerse has been the primary output of Star Trek, the one sold to the masses.

We're getting a new series in January so maybe we're getting something connected to that? Or something prime timeline?

20. Nyotarules

So the script should have said 'Jim you've shrunk!' lol