Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

This announcement is noteworthy:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=955821

basically having a week long give away event for some (older) account wide c-store items.

Devs have been hinting at items of low to high value, from uniforms to starships.

2. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I hope they are one part of the three-piece sets :devil: Or one faction only :evil:

Though they are probably going to be things like the Gal-X that hardly sell because they aren't worth it, or skins for the T1-4 ships. Maybe some of the c-store bridges.

3. Timelord Victorious

Well, we already know there will be a lower Tier ship for Fed and KDF each and a Top Tier ship for each of both factions.
    Romulan ships will be excluded, they are too new.

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm a little worried about STO.

One of the things about playing MMOs on the other side of the world from Americans is that we see the early symptoms of a game on the decline. It starts getting hard to find people to group up with, the "regulars" disappear. And I'm observing it in STO. Its now hard get players to join ISEs, the regulars who typically give advice on the dps-5k channel are gone. And now this announcement, which I see as a cheap attempt to keep people playing.

I hope I'm wrong., but all the above hints that people are dropping this game.

5. Timelord Victorious

It is a cycle.
    The newness of LoR is gone, everything is back to normal grinding. And they have no immediate new content.

Though even the most dedicated players have to take a break sometimes.

People will be back with the next bigger update or event.

That's why you see them giving things away for free now, so people log in at least once or twice a day for now.

6. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think STO doing quite well still, it still gets updated with new content fairly often, the devs are active and so is the community.
    It is still one of the better MMOs out there:)
    Certainly beats many of the so called WoW clones out there.

(Champions Online is in much bigger trouble, IMHO)

I admit that I do not play STO daily these day, like I used to.
    But that is to be expected, since I have played it tons in the past.
    I did enjoy the new Romulan and KDF content and the Summer event much lately:cool:

7. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Well, it took a complete reformatting of my laptop's hard drive and a reinstallation of Windows (from a recovery partition I didn't even know existed before this morning), but I have successfully gotten back in game. Just in time for freebie week.

8. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So according to info gleaned at STLV Season 8 will focus on the Voth and the new space adventure zone, which will be the Dyson sphere, it seems the Voth are attempting to take control of it. Dstahl also said that the zone is much more like a battle zone, with territorial control involved, which will take place on the ground as well.

9. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

That sounds super fun! Love the Voth, should be fun.

10. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Just browsed through the comments on Cryptic's Facebook post about today's giveaway of the DS9 uniform.

So many rude, ungrateful and self-entitled people. People who bought the uniform two years ago and are rage-demanding a refund. And most of these look like adults, who should understand that nothing works that way. Geez.

11. Timelord Victorious

That was bound to happen. Anyone expecting they'd give away items Not already widely distributed and still selling well was foolish.

I bet even on the Last day when they give awaya top level ship for both factions there will be raging going on.

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

While I disagree with random rage on this, I understand that it feels like a wimpy giveaway at best. I wasn't expecting them to giveaway the latest ships or anything but I hope that they do something more interesting with the rest of it, maybe allow account wide unlocks of purchases of the First Contact Space suit.

13. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Reminds me of when the game went free to play, grown people (probably with kids) throwing a tantrum and demanding refunds of all their monthly fee's since the game came out, or refunds of lifetime sub fee's, complaining about how they game would get scummy with all the free players...etc, etc...No wonder Devs. grow to hate some of this stuff. I bought a lifetime sub a couple of years back during a sale and while I don't play often, I don't regret it and I certainly don't think I'm owed a refund...

14. Timelord Victorious

Well it saves me the bother to Log in to claim it. The uniform was included inmy collector's edition of the game, so had it account wide since day one.

Don't get your hopes up. They won't change or add anything to the store, just reduce the price of accout wide items to 0 for a day.
    The EV suit is a character unlock (as overpriced as it is), so it won't be a give away.
    The whole thing is purely meant as a symbolic gesture and only include the store's dust catchers no one is buying anymore.
    I'm guessing no one bought the DS9 uniform anymore since it dropped like candy from lockboxes as character unlocks.
    It is easily available for small change on the exchange. If anyone wants it for free and missed todays claim, we still got a couple lying around in the fleet Bank I believe.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Those people would be what we call assholes. Be grateful that that they're giving away anything at all--even if it's older content. Wonder if any starships are going be in the giveaway?

16. Timelord Victorious

Yes, consensus seems to be, another costume today, a shuttle/fighter tomorrow, T3 ship on thursday and T5 ship on friday.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Thought there might at least be a KDF equivalent, kinda shafting people there. Not horrible, just a disappointment that they didn't work both sides with this promotion.

18. Timelord Victorious

Problem is, KDF doesn't have any old non selling items they can give out without shooting themselves in the foot.
    Apparently the one and only C-Store costume the KDF does have must still be selling.
    If they'd make that one free even for a day, the little income they have from KDF would stop completely.

Of course they should at the same time finally make some iconic costumes for KDF that would enhance their income instead.

Of the top of my head I can think of the original outfits of:

Kruge, the Duras Sisters, Gorkon, Worf&Jadzia Wedding, Ceremony, that Klingon Captain in ST V and I'm sure there are more.

Oh well, let's see what they have to offer today. Not that I can claim it, since my internet connection won't be up until tomorrow evening probably.
    Chances are I already have whatever it is.

19. pymfan2000

pymfan2000 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Today's freebie: Kirk's wraparound tunic from TOS

20. Timelord Victorious

That is good. Can't log in for at least another day or so and don't miss out, already got that one, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.