Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

I like the ideas and the fact that he used Brainiac, but as other have said, the stuff with the son just feels wrong.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie: :rommie: :bolian:

Absolutely:

[​IMG]

I tried rewatching bits of SR the other day and just couldn't do it due to the visuals alone. When your frickin' SUPERMAN movie looks more like Seven than the Donner films (which I don't even like)... you've got a problem.

And, this proposed sequel is shit. Superman as a loner/pariah, the kid as a plot point (and it's not his damn son), no fun flirtation, a dark and depressing story about how those who try to make the world a better place are actually genocidal monsters... no lessons learned from SR. Not fun. Total disaster.

None of the Superman movies have yet been able to beat Smallville's pilot.

For shame.

3. Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

Haha that shot of Zod with the machine gun is just tremendous. That one still has more spirit to it then all of Superman Returns.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The idea of Brainiac bringing total peace to a world, absorbing all their data and uniqueness into his ship and then destroying it seems to be totally lifted from his TAS incarnation. Which is good seeing how that was one of the best Brainiacs' ever.

5. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

As a starting point, I am actually intrigued by a lot of the themes in the outline. I do have enough faith in Singer as as storyteller that the final script would have fleshed out the Brainiac and made him more than a one-note villain. I point you no further than the Xmen movies where even Stryker, the closest thing to a mustache twirler, is still pretty sympathetic. And let's not even get started on Singer's Magneto.

The stuff with the Son actually strikes me as reactionary to the intense fanboy hatred of the concept of super-kid in Returns. This eliminates an unpopular character from future sequels, and his death has some dramatic heft.

It's also nice to have final confirmation that all the rumors from a couple years ago about Jude Law as General Zod were complete crap. I was not a fan of reusing that character in general, and REALLY not a fan of the actor in specific.

Ultimately, as of right now, I would say that I would probably prefer to see THIS movie developed than the Snyder/Goyer reboot. However, I reserve the right to change my mind once more info and images from the new movie come out.

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the only interesting thing about Superman, as far as I'm concerned. Here's an individual with essentially god-like powers in a world rife with exactly those things he claims to want to combat--suffering, injustice, etc.--at a massive scale. How much does he intervene? How far can he impose his vision of the world on others? Where does one find the balance between free will and suffering it causes? The central issue of Superman should always be the problem of theodicy; he is epic by his very existence. Instead, the character is mired in cornball Grant Wood shite, lovelorn brooding and chasing down Beagle Boys-level petty crooks. This outline, ironically, sounds like the best take on the character for the cinema I've yet to hear; shame that Singer didn't do this film when he had the chance, instead of the aggressively bad film he ultimately released.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually, before I got to the point in the outline where the "Krypto buddy" was revealed to be Brainiac, I was thinking, "Gee, this would be a neat interpretation of Zod." I momentarily forgot that Singer was pretending his version of Superman was in the Donner continuity so it couldn't be Zod.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Singer wasn't pretending his Superman was in the continuity he stated that it was a "vague continuation" of the Donner continuity and in Marv Wolfman's novelization Zod is mentioned during Clark's inner monologue on his trip through space furthering the vagueness.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

So, basically disco-tacky versus images with a little mood and depth? Donner's movies don't win in that score.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think that would have been an interesting movie and it would have been nice to see a sequel to SR. :shrug:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZw-7uqU4o[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZw-7uqU4o

Best part of SR. IMHO. :bolian:

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Superman Returns was visually far richer than any of Donner's films.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, that actually sounded like a cool idea. I've never been a huge fan of Brainiac in the past, but the way he's presented early on here as a kind of "Superman 2.0" would have been fun to see (I'm hoping Singer would have ditched the ridiculous, tentacled floating head of STAS).

And the idea of Brainiac downloading into Jason has a lot of potential too (even though I'm one of the few who actually LIKED the character and wanted to see how that relationship evolved).

Sigh. Agreed. :(

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... that sounds horrible.

No Superman kid! None!!!

Would the son come back from the dead in a third movie? I mean come on!

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

It has some interesting points, but seems out of place.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they can use this idea for a Snyder/Nolan sequel. But instead of Jason, Brainiac would probably have to download into Supergirl.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I liked it until the part where Brainiac downloading himself into Jason's body forces Jason to age to full adulthood.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The "Skull Ship" originated in the comics in 1983. They didn't actually use it in S:TAS. Brainiac's starship there was a giant wedge-shaped vessel. The only appearances of the Skull Ship in the DC Animated Universe were in the Static Shock episode "A League of Their Own, Part II" and in the Justice League Unlimited episode "Divided We Fall."

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Skull Ship also was featured in Kevin Smith's "Superman Lives" script.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh that's right (it's been awhile since I've seen the show).

Well in THAT case, I'm hoping Singer would have ditched the robot guy with the annoying (and obviously evil) monotone voice. :p I think it would be much more interesting (at least early on) to have Brainiac appear in "human" form, perhaps as another friendly, good-looking Superman type to better disguise his true intentions, and cloud the issue a little.

Plus it would just be fun to see Superman battle it out with this copycat who everyone loves.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It should be all about character. Superman is disco-tacky, so the Donner look (though not retirement-home pace) is right for him. Singer's darker, grimmer palette, OTOH, was perfect for the moodiness and depth of the X-Men (whereas Ratner's disco-tacky X3 was horrible).