(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Quo Vadimus

Quo Vadimus Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hey, it hurts, but at least that means we care, right? Great game, guys. You have nothing to be sorry for, you just made the Brazilians earn that one. Tim Howard is a great keeper! I think we were outshot 2-1 and still had a chance at the end of the game. The US isn't a pushover anymore. :techman:

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

The USA and South Africa both had very admirable tournaments - well done to both of them.

3. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Americans were never expected to win it. And keeping the likes of Spain and Brazil from getting a result over four halves a football was a little too much to ask. But a good showing. They're a better team coming out of the tournament than going in, so job done.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG U21's can bottle it just as good as ENG seniors..nice to know

5. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Germany won the U17, U19 and U21 EC. :D

This is the first time any country has won all three U?? titles. Congratulations to everyone involved.

I especially like the role Özil has played in this tournament. He's really a crucial player for "my team" Werder Bremen and I think he will be invaluable in the future.

I suppose I can look forward to the next couple of years of international football with confidence. :D

6. HappyDayRiot

Everyone can take solace in the fact that 2009-2010 season officially starts today!

7. HappyDayRiot

The BBC have announced the first four of their 10 live Championship matches for this season - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8124105.stm
    Cardiff, Derby, Forest, Ipswich, QPR, Newcastle and WBA are involved and the games will be watchable on the website too. Already an improvement on Sky's Championship services. Looking forward to this, and I have the Forest game down as one to try and get to this season as well.

8. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Real Madrid Galactico train just got another passenger. Apparently they just signed Benzema.

9. HappyDayRiot

...so when do Madrid start, you know, selling players as well?

10. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look for a Dutch fire sale.

11. HappyDayRiot

Reports say £30m for Benzema. £30m. I'm more astounded by that figure than what they paid for Kaka and Ronaldo. Absolutely absurd valuation he is NOT that good. Lyon should be laughing all the way to the same bank as Man United.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Everyone's fees have been quadrupled due to the Kaka and Ronaldo deals. On top of that, people hear that Chelsea and Manchester City have a load of money to spend and Manchester United have got the Ronaldo fee burning a hole in their pockets, the prices go up further.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah took me a bit by surprise as I hadn't realised the BBC were actually showing full games. I'd assumed it would be a Match of the Day highlight type show.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Ribery told a paper today he wants out and only to Madrid but looks that might be a problem since Madrid are refusing to pay such a high price of 50-60 million. They look set to pinch David Silva for half the Ribery price and some in the media are saying it would be a better move since he's a young Spanish international who would settle quicker and the fans would warm to him easier.

Looks like Fergie got some work to do and I still feel he maybe should look at another winger but strikers is the priorty of course. Welbeck or Macheda should be sent out on loan in the PL for week in week out experience since Fergie is selling the better potential player Campbell. That leaves Rooney and the should remain bench warmer Berbatov meaning he needs at least 1 striker and I will remain in my choice of Hunterlarr who would be sold for a price of no more than 20 million. Also Ruud is set to join Lyon from Madrid now a bargain goalscorer for the French giants.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I guess if you don't ask you don't get :lol:

What do people think of this Owen to Man Utd rumour?:wtf:

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Owen is at Utd according to most papers having an intense medical to prove his fitness. Owen played 32 games this year and 31 last year so not truly awful and scored for NEWCASTLE just over every goal per 2.5 games. He will get much better service at Utd and I think a stronger desire to play football.

At the end of the day he's a free signing who if fit will score you goals so not a massive gamble really and if he comes good then you coul make a few million off him in future. Worth the risk IMO :techman:

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Question is...

Is this a cheap option because most of the Ronaldo money is going to service the Glazer's debt, or is it classic Ferguson (think Henrik Larson). Owen is free and he is a proven goal scorer. He's also injury prone and on obscene wages so take your pick.

Great move for Owen. Get's to play for a better club than I think anyone expected him to, and he isn't saddled with being the superstar single handedly expected to win every game, plus he gets top class football prior to a world cup.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same about Glazers debt but then again why spend all at once because over the next 12 months they could lose a lot of players...

* Paul Scholes is set to retire

* Gary Neville & Ryan Giggs could follow.

* If Foster gets number 1 then I can see Van De Sar leaving or retiring at the end of the season plus Kuszack is on his way out too

* Vidic glarng weakness his lack of pace will be even more glaring in 2 years time and a replacement could be need by then

* If Nani and Anderson don't push on Fergie will need to find players that will

* Hargreaves could need replacning too and Berbatov could flip even further.

I think Man Utd are on the brink of needing to re build his team after 3 succesful seasons. After Owen the only big money signing I could see is maybe David Silva from Valencia who Fergie seems to like who plays on the left but also upfront a useful cover instead of buying another striker after Owen.

20. HappyDayRiot

Foster getting no.1 is a while off yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they buy new keeper sooner rather than later, cos VDS hasn't got too much left and Foster is nowhere near ready to replace him. As for Owen... well, he's free, he will score... so put him on a pay-as-you-play deal with bonuses for appearances/goals, stick him up top with Rooney and see what happens. At the end of the day he's free, apparently willing to take a paycut to play, so why the hell not sign him up?