DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't like it either. I'm wondering if we'll get the rumoured John Jr. "Superman" book at NYCC announced. Can't wait until Pak's run starts on "Action Comics".

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I would love to see JRJR's take on Supes.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Forever Evil #2: finally! the storyline advances! Is it just me or does Finch's art not look as good as his Marvel days?

I actually enjoyed the Wrath arc on Detective, I wasn't reading it before that. The art was really good.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I was away from the comic shop for a couple weeks and got caught up today. The only other Villains Month title I picked up was Rogues. They fixed one Forever Evil continuity error with Mirror Master being out of the mirror world, but in the process created another. Glider disappeared pulling Mirror Master out, but she appears in the big villain spread in Forever Evil #1. Oy vey!

Forever Evil #2 was pretty enjoyable as well. I'm glad to see Luthor getting some cool stuff to do. He's been far too sidelined in the New 52.

Also picked up Green Lantern. Only a few issues in, and already we're back to the big Lantern family crossovers. Apparently the plan is for these books to be interconnected like never before. Even more connected than in the Johns days? Yeesh. Oh well, at least I'm a huge Green Lantern fan and have no problem reading four different books. As long as the keep the quality as consistently good as they have, I'm with it.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, I didn't like his art on Green Lantern Corps a few years ago (between Blackest Night and "War of the Green Lanterns"). It was such a stark difference to Patrick Gleason.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. The art does not seem to go with the feel of the current Superman universe. I have actually enjoyed most of Superman and Action Comics in the new 52, and like the new feel of the character but want the art to reflect that. RM's art with Morrison's story worked because the feel was one of combining the Superman of the past with the present (in terms of his comics history as well as the actual plot) and I thought that worked, but for the most part I want Superman to be not cartoonish.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Savage Dragon

I might check out Booster Gold for nostalgia's sake. I'm also kind of curious to see where he disappeared to at the end of JLI.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

More like Rich's secret sauce at DC has stopped telling him things and he is now resorting to stealing posts from 4chan. :rommie:

10. Admiral_Young

I was more meaning DC in general hasn't really teased anything for NYCC. Marvel has had the teasers, but yeah...Rich really hasn't had any DC scoops in a while, and even then just teases whatever they maybe instead of outright spoiling it. I have wondered if being owned by Avatar Press now has caused any kind of internal changes at Bleeding Cool.

11. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh, can't wait to see Booster travel to all those important iconic DC events from the last... two years.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Depending on Gail's take I'm curious in Plastic Man.
    I'll also give The Others I look, I thought they were an interesting enough looking group in Aquaman. Given the right approach it might could work.

Read Swamp Thing #24 and the reveal of who The Seeder is looks like it' going to have some repercussions for the immediate future of events in the title. Turns out that The Seeder is actually
    Jason Woodrue
    and was in consideration by The Parliament of Trees to be their avatar over Alec Holland. He was granted his gifts for doing something for them(I won't say what here) and at issues end they basically place the role of Avatar of the Green up to a contest, best man wins.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Jurgens doing Booster Gold again? Awesome!

Geoff Johns on Superman? Awesome!

I would have been very excited about a Sinestro Corps book five years ago, but now, not so much...

14. Admiral_Young

Did no one read the actual article? The books mentioned in the post aren't apparently real according to Rich, that's why I wasn't going to actually post it...but for pure speculation purposes I thought it would be interesting to post the article. IF these were real they would have generated some excitement as Rich stated too. The only one I probably wouldn't have been thrilled about would have been Tony Bedard on Red Robin.

Also I noticed that Mike Johnson had credit again on "Action Comics". Is Scott Lobdell off the book or something? This is the second issue that I believe Johnson has written...I'll be dropping this until Pak comes aboard.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  15. Savage Dragon

I'm looking forward to Batman: Zero Year resuming next week. Villains Month was kind of fun but I'm happy things are going back to normal.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

DC announces an eighteen-part crossover (:eek:) spinning out of "Forever Evil".

The full line-up...

Part 1 – Justice League Dark #24
    Part 2 – Justice League Dark #25
    Part 3 – Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger #14
    Part 4 – Constantine #9
    Part 5 – Trinity of Sin: Pandora #6
    Part 6 – Justice League Dark #26
    Part 7 – Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger #15
    Part 8 – Constantine #10
    Part 9 – Pandora #7
    Part 10 – Justice League Dark #27
    Part 11 – Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger #16
    Part 12 – Constantine #11
    Part 13 – Trinity of Sin: Pandora #8
    Part 14 – Justice League Dark #28
    Part 15 – Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger #17
    Part 16 – Constantine #12
    Part 17 – Trinity of Sin: Pandora #9
    Part 18 – Justice League Dark #29

17. Savage Dragon

Ugh. I have only gotten back into reading comics in the last few years and I'm already sick of the massive crossovers. Again.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But all those books are shit.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Phantom Stranger I heard is suppose to be good since DeMatteis came on.

20. Savage Dragon

I got the Phantom Stranger tie-in to Trinity War and actually liked it. If my wife wasn't already giving me a hard time about my monthly comic book bill I might have started picking it up.