(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not necessarily trophies but something like top 4 finish in England is almost certain especially if they consider getting stars in all areas on the pitch not just attack. I think what people forget when the subject of
    superstars is brought up is there are "superstars" in those less glamorous positions also. When Real lost Makalele it didn't matter how many Galacticos in attack they brought in.

Leeds? :lol:

But for this discussion I think we should assume that Sheik is in it for the long run.

He'll be toast by May.

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the papers suggests they want to get in Ancelotti to convince Kaka to come. Mancini also seems to be a favourite to get the job when Hughes is sacked (and I think we all know it's when, not if).

Personally I think it's obvious who they'll try and get. Big personality? Loves a huge transfer budget? Not happy that he isn't adored by all and sundry in Milan? Mourinho will be on the first plane to Manchester when this season is over.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Jose will stay at Inter until, Fergie retires and picks Jose to replace him.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What Fergie isn't going to reccomend Bryan Robson? Now I've heard everything :lol:

Toss up between Jose and MON for me.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Whose MON ?

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Martin O'Neill ?

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Great Choice but I want him to replace Capello in 2012.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sorry I have a Villa supporting friend who uses that shorthand all the time so I guess it's stuck!

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get his own way on this....

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah doesn't sound like irreconcilable differences, it's not about the money or anything.

13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's all part of the machinations behind the scenes. We all know Rick Parry is useless, and Hicks wants rid of him, but he's George Gillett's ally on the board. Rafa is trying to get control over transfers so they don't get caught up in the power struggle, as they did last summer.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Yet more smokescreens to cover up the impending Gerrard debacle. It must be said between his ridiculous rant last week, his baffling lack of ambition at Stoke and now this, Rafa's doing a hell of a job making everyone forget about it.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was thinking earlier that if Man City get Kaka then him and Robinho will probably play just behind a sole striker (Santa Cruz) but if they don't get him they should try and find a good parntership up front and give Robinho a Ronaldo type winger role (he does it for Brazil and did for R.Madrid)...

Do you think Owen/Santa Cruz would make a good choice for the summer ? and even if they got Kaka I would still consider buying both even if I played only 1 up front with Owen as my main choice.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Kaka has reportedly turned down the move to Manchester City.

I'm sure the Milan fans will be relieved. I saw a banner they were holding up, you didn't need to read Italian to understand it - "Eto'o - 80m, Ronaldo 100m, Messi 180m, Kaka - Priceless!"

Of course, now this means Citeh are back in the market for an attacking midfielder which renders Arsenal's bid for Andrei Arshavin a complete waste of time because we're just going to get gazumped.

Edit - BREAKING NEWS - Robinho has reportedly walked out of Manchester City's training camp in Tenerife and returned to Brazil.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Good for him, smart guy. I could understand Kaka transferring to a team like Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona or so, but City at this point doesn't make any sense. The chance to win titles and accolades with a strong team is worth more for a still relatively young player like him than the higher salary.

18. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great news.

It would have been good to see him in the Premier League but hurrah for a player who has principles and values that extend beyond how much money they can get per week.

Besides, Man City should do it the right way. Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka were relatively unknown when their respective clubs bought them. City need to do their homework and try and get in players who'll become stars over the next 3/4 years. Otherwise, they'll be no different to Real Madrid when they were putting the Galacticos together, which ultimately cost them a fortune, for a disproportionate amount of success.

On a different note, it appears that even Adolf has felt compelled to weigh in on the 'Stuart Atwell' issue in the recent Derby Vs Forest game......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Klaq_xc8MI

:lol:

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Nobody in the Premier League does their homework anymore. They just follow Arsenal's scouts and buy whoever they think we're looking at.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Best. Youtube. Ever!

"Cut all Nazi funding to the FA." :guffaw:

Is the Man City bubble about to burst I wonder? At least they've still got Craig Bellamy ;)