Ship Changes in STID (Possible spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tuskin38, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see anyone documenting these already so i thought I'd make a thread. If mods believe this is better off the mega thread above, by all means move the post there.

I've been making notice of the changes between the JJ-Prise after, the 'Refit' version at the end of the movie. All images will be 'before' and 'after' below.

First and most obvious, the impulse drive and 'warp fins' as you can see in the above image the main impulse engine on the Saucer section is small and in two peices, while the newer version is one big engine. The warp fins pre-'refit' are in 3 segments, while the 'refit' version they're in 4 peices

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, the Phaser Arrays
    Pre-refit they have 'ball turrets' similar to what was seen in the Refit in the TOS movies, after how ever the 'balls' have vanished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final for now, the Bridge. In most shots the 'view screen' on the CG model is too short and wide and does not match the actual set. The new model how ever the 'view screen' matches the the physical set better. This CG bridge is also used earlier in the film for a zoom in on the bridge. http://i.minus.com/ibtwyBOzxjUxaM.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

These are really good. enterprise lost its balls. :)

But Can we back up a bit? Why did the newest flagship need a refit one year into service? Why not a simple repair/restoration?

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well we already saw upgrades to Federation starships in the Vengeance, why not add some to the Enterprise now that it's public?

RAMA

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect in the next film, when Kirk orders "red alert," the phaser ball turrets will pop-up into place.

I was a bit surprised that, despite all the exterior changes to the Enterprise, that the bridge was completely unchanged at the end. But with a new director at the helm for Star Trek XIII, they'll probably just do what they did in IV/V - change it completely with no explanation whatsoever:)
    As I said in the other thread, the high detail model is actually used for compositing with the actual set, it's the low detail one which has the CG bridge inside. And it's first seen in the 2009 movie after Pike and Nero's viewscreen negotiation, when the camera pulls back from the window and flips over.

I suspect they usually use a smaller window to reduce their workload - you can see into the correctly-sized one much easier, and I suspect ILM just didn't want to have to put CG actors at all the stations and make sure they all match the live-action bridge cuts.

5. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's such a shame they upgraded the impulse engine, I much prefer the smaller one.

6. James

James Guest

They took the weapons away, the ship gets it's butt kicked every time it gets in a fight anyway so they figured weapons weren't needed. Pine's Kirk can yield to the next villain with ease. :lol:

7. austen_pierce

To me it just feels too soon to be making changes to the model. The ship in its 2009 form lasts maybe two years and one and three-quarters movies???

8. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just realized that it's had a paint job upgrade. It's more creamy/white, and generally lighter now.

I mean look at those warp nacelles.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Unlike the Enterprise in TWOK, TSFS, TUC, GEN, INS, NEM

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You all obviously missed the Star Trek Writers' Guide for Movies. Quoting:

Sheesh.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeppers, pretty much standard issue Trek fare. Unless the ships they're up against are explicitly said to be woefully primitive, there seems to be a default to letting the enemy kick the Enterprise's teeth in.

12. OneBuckFilms

Storytelling 101: Make the problem to be solved seem insurmountable to increase dramatic tension.

13. austen_pierce

In ST09 Enterprise took the worst hull damage from the red matter black hole, not Narada. Since the detonation if the red matter was Kirk's plan, I tend to think he kicked his own teeth in.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's possible that this is just a CGI error. If the phaser balls are a separate component, they could've simply forgotten to include them or turn them on for these passes.

My in-universe theory? They're just retracted.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree with you there. It seems like a little too much.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that wide impulse engine will look great when they do a saucer separation. The small engine looks better on a combined ship, but it wouldn't look very manoeuvrable on its own.

17. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The wider impulse engines are ghastly.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's what I was thinking too. Granted, they'd need a good reason to do a saucer sep scene.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also preferred the original impulse engines. The wider one looks like they've gone back with older technology, since it looks a lot like the one on the Kelvin to me.

20. OneBuckFilms

I also preferred the smaller engine.