The Newsroom.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Not sure of my thoughts on last nights eps... I kinda want to see part two before I comment, as it felt like last night was really only half an eps.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

True, there was a lot of set-up for what is shaping up to be an epic and dramatic story. But it was a pretty good set-up episode which had plenty of great moments. I laughed at the awesome end of the episode. :lol:
    Before that, I especially liked the exchange between Neal and Sloan (wow, she is crazy, but I like it), it had me in stitches. Then there was Sloan's passionate bidding for space for her important story. I loved the debate prep, especially Maggie's angle on Bachmann's hearing God's voice. And I also thought the scene at Will's psychiatrist was both funny and kind of thought-provoking. It stuck with me, in any case. Will is really messed up and I wonder if he'll ever manage to overcome this emotional baggae he keeps carrying around.
    I'm not too optimistic about Newsnight's future the way things are going. The most they can hope for is blackmailing Fiona Lansing with what little they know about the wiretapping. But of course, keeping this story under wraps in exchange for staying on air is also unethical.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm starting to think Will believes that holding onto the baggage makes him who he is, that he has to hold onto the pain because it defines him.

I can't wait to see how they resolve this!

4. Count Zero

Like Captain Kirk? ;)

I forgot to mention this episode's best line: "A modest proposal, we could ourselves commit murder on our air. In your face, Nancy Grace!" :lol:
    Mac was on fire in this one. I really liked that. Too bad she was fighting a losing battle. By the way, so far, I also sort of like Brian, her ex-boyfriend. His introduction could have been awkward and played out predictably but I appreciated how he took everything in stride and his little duels of dialogue with Will and Mac.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The actor is in a movie with Olivia Munn called the babymakers which weirdly I saw yesterday.

It feels like an 80s movie.

Guy has to rob a sperm back to get his wife pregnant.

6. Count Zero

He was also in a movie called "Lars and the Real Girl" with the actress who plays Mac. Sounds like a movie that might be right up your alley, Guy.

7. Guy Gardener

I don't need a full sized, fully poseable, antomically functionally fulled replicant... I'm perfectly chuffed with my Cindy Dolls and a wheelbarrow full of imagination.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I see what you did there.

9. Count Zero

By the way, is this blackout based on a real event?

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I highly recommand it.

11. Guy Gardener

You highly recommend going right up my alley?

Well.

Any publicity is good publicity.

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Watching it.

13. Count Zero

My God, that was awesome. Totally sentimental, pathos-laden and unrealistic but it felt just fantastic. I loved how a lot of the things we've seen throughout this season came together at the end.
    Poor Sorority Girl, though - she realised too late that everyone working on this show is crazy, well, Will and Mac are batshit insane, anyway. :lol:

14. Guy Gardener

So a second i thought that we were going to discover that sorority girl was a plant.

McKenzie fed her the question, 20 bucks and the promise of an internship eventually.

How else would she have that pad ready so quickly?

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^Mmm, maybe, but they would have said.

I loved that ep, for the simple reason it showed several people changing their minds for the better, and that it absolutely nailed the Tea Party. Every single voting American should watch that episode. Every. Single. One.

Why aren't there more shows like this? Why isn't there a for-real news program like that (aside from The Daily Show)?

16. Count Zero

I think the finale did a good job showing why there isn't such a program in reality. ;)

A couple of days ago, I read a fan fic in which Sorority Girl turned out to be Will's daughter he doesn't know about (this was one of the better stories, the fan fic for this show is really bad :lol:), so for a moment I feared they'd go with that. Don/Sloan became real, too, after all, and that's a ship that made the rounds in fandom a couple of episodes ago.

I wonder what Leona's real motivation is for letting them do their thing. Sure, they have that recording (on which Will also admits being high on the air, though ;)) of Reese admitting he had phones hacked but all things considered their blackmail attempt was rather amateurish. I love the end of it when Mac tried to be all action-hero-like cool and then didn't know how to finish the sentence and Will told her she couldn't just start sentences like that. Really professional. :D It had the odd couple feel like a lot of their scenes in that episode. So, maybe Leona was more impressed with them having the guts to try this angle even though it's apparent they aren't even in the same league as her rather than the actual threat.

I also liked that Brian's article turned out to be so negative. It surprised me because from his reactions to some of the stuff he was seeing I surmised he was somewhat impressed and amused. I wonder whether that really was his opinion or whether he tried to be extra negative because he dislikes Will and to have a revenge on Mac. Then again, he kind of had a point which is why Will reacted the way he did. It's interesting that the thing he did to hurt/punish Mac ended up almost killing him.

17. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

I don't know much about the Greater Fool, but I know about the Greatest Fool: Me, because I watched this whole season. I'm not making that mistake again.

18. Count Zero

Waiting for the Klingon version? ;)

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the love triangle that everyone hated grew into a love quadrangle, and now it's a love quintangle? :wtf: The last time I've seen a love story with this many angles was The Ski Lodge episode of Frasier, but at least that episode knew it was doing a farce. What next, will Neal fall in love with Sloan so we can get a love hexangle going? Maybe throw Charlie and Leona in too, make it a love octangle. If Sorkin's not careful, he'll end up with a circle.

20. Count Zero

Yeah, it's crazy - and we were so close to resolving at least one of them in the finale. Weirdly enough, though, I kinda like it, and I'm normally not a romantic comedy person.