STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

My favourite part of TNG was when they cited a cosmic force/plan as a reason not to save a pre-warp civilization.

Truly intellectual and high brow.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No one is forcing you to watch it. You don't like it which is fine. But ST being a success is good news all round.

Interest in the film might get a few people to look at the TV shows.

A good return on the film could demonstrate that there is a demand for ST, which could in thery result in a new TV show being commissioned.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And I'd rather watch more Star Trek films with this new cast and universe. So I think this is excellent news. :p

See, I'm perfectly fine with you not liking these movies. Totally your prerogative. But why the desire to deprive many, many others of something they clearly enjoy? That, I've never understood.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, this is an obnoxious attitude. The back catalog of the franchise isn't going anywhere -- TOS and TNG, especially, are widely syndicated, and all of the series are available on Netflix streaming. So why root for the new movies to fail?

In any event, if you want CBS to continue investing in expensive high definition upgrades for the Berman-era series, a financially successful film franchise will only increase the chances of that project going forward.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I love all Trek, but TOS is easily my favourite. For me, STID brings the feel, spirit and vibe of TOS back to life brilliantly and authentically - in a way I never thought I'd see again. Bravo Abrams & Co - roll on the next Bad Robot Trek.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No, it context it wasn't so. It wasn't obvious at all. Thanks for clarifying that, though.

This so exemplifies what's wrong with fandom. You'd rather Trek be completely dead, and nobody being able to enjoy it, than it being different from what you want.

7. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann Lieutenant

That's not what I said at all. What I said was that I would wish they would stop making movies that dilute Star Trek by reusing the label while turning it into something completely unrecognizable as Star Trek. I'm perfectly content to watch repeats of the old TV episodes every now and then. After all, there comes a point when no more is needed. It's symptomatic of Hollywood in general, where they are completely out of ideas and must re-hash, reboot, rework, and remake the same fiction over and over again rather than come up with original stories, characters, and universes. All these comic book and superhero movies are the worst offenders, but what's been done to Star Trek is hardly much better. Though, even if they were making Star Trek that stayed true to what Star Trek is supposed to be instead of loud and annoying action movies, I would still rather they simply stop. It's not needed to make any more Star Trek movies. They've told some stories, and now they need to move on and make new stories, with new characters, new worlds, and new ideas. Wanting more Star Trek movies and shows simply for the sake of having more Star Trek is absolutely brainless and shows no appreciation for any of it.

In fact, what I want has (mostly) already happened. They stopped making Star Trek years ago (three out of four TNG movies were leaning in that direction, though they at least tried to have something to say). Now they're making movies that are called Star Trek, but they're not really making Star Trek.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Incorrect.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Good thing you're not in charge then. ^^

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It obviously was, I posted a 50 cent laughing GIF with Picard in the and it was way before the bad news came in, it was in response to good news that the movie would push 100m+.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Why the hell should we miss out because you don't like it? Just watch old episodes then and forgot about the movies and leave the rest of us to enjoy it.

:rolleyes:

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Why do Star Trek films have to be action films?

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No one wants another TMP, that's why.

14. JarodRussell

How about a Shawshank Redemption? Or a Voyage Home?

15. Belz...

That's it. I'm going to run the two new movies in my head with the old actors and special effect, as though it was an old episode.

Hell, the folks doing fan episodes should re-do the movies that way. :D

Since I have no idea what the GIF meant, it was not obvious. Just because you understand what you meant, doesn't mean it's clear for everybody. Anyway, I'm glad to know you weren't one of the doomsayers.

16. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Shawshank Redemption isn't "real" Star Trek.

And neither is TVH. :p ;)

17. Belz...

No, that's not what you said. You said this:

That explicitely says you'd prefer re-runs to new movies.

Here's an easier solution that will allow us to enjoy the new movies at the same time: stop watching them.

Yeah, that's why it's called entertainment.

Just 2 posts above yours is a member who says the new movies feel like TOS again, so this is clearly your minority opinion.

18. JarodRussell

But it's the best film ever made. And I have the IMDb Top 250 to support my opinion.

19. Belz...

Of course it's the best film ever made.

It also made 28 million in its entire run.

You have to know what is the target audience and market for the movie. A low-budget slasher flick is not the same thing as a courtroom movie. They don't target the same people. Star Trek is sci-fi adventure. Always has been. When you translate it into the big screen, it doesn't necessarily lend itself well to slow, deliberate plotting.

Why ? Because sci-fi stuff costs a lot more money than courtroom or slasher, so it must have a much greater appeal in order to make a profit, which is the whole point of making movies. So action and a fast pace are the best bets.

And it's not as if TOS was low on action, either.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Shawshank is my favourite film ever but am happy with Star Trek being actiony, its fun. Star Trek before that was also fun but a different kind of fun.