M'ress appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Moodib, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Moodib

Moodib Lieutenant Red Shirt

I got a couple of perfect actors for the part of Arrex and M'ress and it's Doug Jones for Arrex and Selma Blair for M'ress but in Mocap.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And according to the FaceBook page where a "work in progress" clip can be seen, Cawley states Arex WILL get his third arm after all! YES!!!

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Therin of Andor

I spent ages looking for that moving footage clip yesterday. You're right; it was a Facebook exclusive. :bolian:

5. Redfern

6. Moodib

Moodib Lieutenant Red Shirt

Neat.

But who would have loved Doug Jones to play Arrex? and who should be our fave catgirl's voice?

7. Redfern

Doug Jones...I had to research that name. Do you mean the actor who played Abe Sapien in the "HellBoy" movies?Are you wanting Jones for his nearly emaciated physique? (that sounds wrong.) For a major motion picture, it wouldn't be that critical since a six limbed character like Arex would be most likely computer animated for the bulk of his sequences. If, on the other hand, you're wanting Jones for his cultured voice, yes, I admit I rather enjoy his calming tones. But to hire him to do a severely nasal inflection kinda' defeats the reason for getting him in the first place.

Who should voice M'Ress? I'll be honest with you; I never cared for Majel's performance. It just seemed so "forced". Besides, since she's passed away, we'd have no choice but to pursue other voice artists. But whom? That's a toughy. Hmm...if it weren't for the sad fact she too has died, I'd sya, oh, maybe Eartha Kitt. She had a trilling, almost purring like quality to her voice, but unlike Majel's, it was her actual conversational voice, so it sounded more "natural".

I'm sure several on these board would opt for someone else, so it'll be interesting whom they'll suggest.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Therin of Andor

As I said, Christopher Doohan will be voicing Arex. He does a good impression of his Dad, the original voice of Arex in TAS.

9. Redfern

Steering this thread back onto topic, at least for a post or two, here's a render I "staged" the other week, updating it from one I arranged a few years ago.

[​IMG]

M"ress seems to be asking, "You get the feeling we're being followed?" Thankfully, before Spock can go into a long winded lecture about "feelings", the M4 unit zaps them both catatonic. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Cool :) I love the texture on the uniforms.

11. Redfern

M'Ress' uniform is covered with a mind-boggling tangle of textural and procedural nodes the creator of the miniskirt mesh assembled. Thus it projects that early 1st season "velour" shimmer. Spock's tunic makes use of clever "displacement" to elevate the surface of the rank braids and department "chevron" so they don't just look like the flat textures they really are. (Of course, this render is too small to show off that detail, but at least you can zoom in insanely close without the patterns "pixelating".)

Bear in mind Oshikai made the mini-skirt uniform and a someone listed as TimG made the male uniform textures for what is sold as a fantasy medieval outfit. They deserve the texturing credit.

Sincerely,

Bill

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Catatonic.
    Heh.

13. Redfern

Never claimed I was above a cheap pun. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

14. Therin of Andor

You said that on purr-pose.

15. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alright, let's not carry this any further.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. No further.

17. Therin of Andor

Missed it by a whisker.

18. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Calm down guys, let's not get into a pun war! Just take a moment to paws before you say something you'll regret...

19. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah? Well let's..not...something cat pun!

So there.

Now let's get back to drooling over space-cat women.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filename says that last one is a Caitian; seems the only difference between M'Ress and a furry is the Starfleet uniform! Maybe she's on Risa.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You sir are a legend as always :D