Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Kabraxal

Kabraxal Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

First, there are those that disagree with the first statement. ANd second.. if no one knew or care about Nolan, then movies wouldn't use his name as a selling point. They do... so you really need to come up with an actual argument instead of "no they don't!". Inception, MoS, and even the final film of the Batman trilogy were heavily marketed with Nolan's name everywhere. His new film will be the same... so obviously, enough people care if the marketing departments of these films continually use his name so obviously.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, the conclusion does not follow from the observation - not even close. If I say "most of Nolan's films are in the top 250 because they're exceptionally entertaining, and this is why he has fans" I've presented a better argument than yours. That doesn't make me right either, BTW; my reasoning is just a little better.

I doubt it.

"Even the actors?" Even? My friend, the actors matter a great deal more to getting butts in the seats than the directors and producers do. This is why the actors are often paid a great deal more than the people responsible for putting the movie together.

One would think that someone with a "huge, even professional background in media" would be aware of something so basic.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All this time I thought you were 13 or something. I have avoided disagreeing with you in the shipper threads in the past because of this assumption!

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Its so cute (sarcasm), how my comments gets attacked. However I will stick too facts.

Also, I am not 13.

Secondly, It was not one person that led rotten tomatoes to shut itself down. it was a legion of Nolan fans who were sending critics death threats. DID YOU NOT SEE THE LINK I SENT?

Here is the proof (again):

http://www.examiner.com/article/rot...ark-knight-rises-comments-after-death-threats

Also again, the fact that a lot of people have chosen to disregard the box office earnings of star wars and star trek just proves that people are leaving in self denial when it comes to a franchise, its success and its fan base.

Lastly, if directors, producers and actors don't matter as most of you say, then I want you to at least tell me why Sony Studios chose not to promote After Earth as a M. Night Shyamalan film.

Heck, his name did not even appear in any of the posters or trailers despite the fact that he was the film's director. Sony chose to promote the film as a Will Smith's film. The same Will Smith who has been called the most bankable actor in Hollywood.

Coincidence much?

I think not.

Lastly I suggest you all read this article on Huffington Post on why STiD underperformed at the box office:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/star-trek-into-darkness-box-office_n_3302983.html.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Why is it cute ? This is exactly how discussion works: your arguments -- not you -- are attacked and critiqued.

How many is a legion ? Are you saying they ALL participated ? If not, how do you know how many Nolan fans there are ? How do you know, in fact, that these peopel are Nolan fans at all ?

Wow. If you consider that proof, I have a bridge to sell you in New York. Seriously, the link does not mention "huge" numbers or any number at all. The most it said was "some".

And another goalpost moving. We are talking about PRODUCERS. Not franchises.

Now this question is flatly dishonest. I've already corrected you on that. No one said it didn't matter. We disagreed that it was the ONLY reason Man of Steel was successful.

6. igrokbok

igrokbok Commodore Commodore

It's not so much people "avoiding" Trek as it is a matter an audience being forced to make a choice on any given weekend. If you're on the fence, buy the time word of mouth gets to you, you have 4 or 5 movies to choose from on any given Saturday night. This leads to the question, why are people choosing MOS or Iron Man over Trek. And the answer to that is easy. The Avengers. Both of those superhero blockbusters are riding the wings of the Avengers. It was unavoidable. But don't shed any tears for Trek, I read that the film is, now, the highest grossing Trek film. Ever. Considering the pathetic box office of Nemesis, I'd say things are certainly looking up!

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point. The other day, when I went to our local multiplex, my options included Star Trek, Iron Man, Superman, a zombie apocalypse, and a comedy about the end of the world. And a kid's movie about CGI monsters.

That's a lot for even the most dedicated genre fan, let alone the average movie-goer!

(I confess I still haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, or the zombie movie.)

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Iron Man 3 was instantly forgettable and World War Z was fairly entertaining and I say that as someone who isn't a fan of the genre. In my opinion, of course.

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I've never been a superhero guy except for Iron Man and that's just because of Tony Stark (and by extension, Robert Downey Jr.). Because he's not a bull-brained moron but a sarcastic genius, and I love that. Which is why I love his Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iron Man 3 was excellent. I'm not sure which I prefer from that or MoS. Both very different films despite being in the superhero genre.

11. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When you have to supplement the name with 'Director of Such and Such Movies/Trilogies/Yadda' then that name isn't big enough. You'd never see names being supplemented for Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorcese or heck, Michael Bay. Yet Nolan's name was repeatedly supplemented. You have your answer.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

What about "from the director of 300"?

13. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same thing. Zack Snyder isnt a big enough name.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't see "From Christoper Nolan" being supplemented with any movie titles in, say, this trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. Of course, go back a couple movies and this wouldn't be the case.

15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Maybe Trek has to get Nolan to direct the next movie, then? ;) Then it will make an automatic billion dollars

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah you do.