DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I've bought Action Comics #1 and subscribed to the rest of the AC line to follow what this new Superman is going to become.

Here's hoping for the best.

:worried smile with fingers crossed:

Ah, Liefeld. The man of pointy, tip-toed tiny feet, tapered pointy fingers and pouches. Pouches everywhere!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

My first comic was an issue of Iron Fist that was STILL ONLY 15 CENTS!

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

See that's what annoys me. It's not clear in the book. You have to read "somewhere" at what point these books are taking place.

Would it have been that hard to put a little addition to the location. "Metropolis, 6 years ago."

Or whatever. Rather than having to piece it together from outside interviews and internet boards, put it in the fucking book.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I really liked Action Comics #1. Good stuff. As someone said, the Golden Age Superman is back. Especially with Kent working for Mr. Taylor at the Daily Planets rival paper.

Green Arrow #1 was another good one. I like this take on GA, has a n Iron Man feel to it.

JLI #1 was okay. Took a while to get rolling because they had to set it up and introduce several characters.

Stormwatch #1. Not all that familar with the Wildstorm characters but it was a good start. Be interesting to see how it ties in with Cornell's Demon Knights. I like J'onns new look. The head reminds me of Dr Lazarus from Galaxy Quest.

Static Shock #1. Again not a character I'm familar with, but a solid effort.

Hawk and Dove #1. Pretty much unreadable.

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh dear God, is he still getting work?? Why? How? All those Kubert graduates are spinning in their graves.

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

He's getting work because people continue to buy his books. Hawk & Dove is one of the titles that sold out at the midnight launch at my LCS.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

He still gets work because people think his art is TEH AW3Som3! Even though there is considerable evidence to the contrary.

I'm sure everyone has seen THIS but it's a good example of how much the man sucks.

8. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Youngblood.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

the last time I like Liefield was when he drew Hawk and Dove # 1 (1987) Karl Kessel totaly saved the art that time.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've liked any of Liefield's work.

Did anyone catch the subtle Legion reference in Action Comics #1? I completely missed it the first read through but it is where Clark is talking with his landlady...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks that explains who those three were.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

that book is BAD.

13. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Oh, I agree. It's horrific. But for some reason, much of the comic buying public of Cardiff disagrees.

14. Myasishchev

I mentioned it. I dunno if I'd call it subtle, though.

Re: Hawk and Dove--Hawk and Dove's gonna look awful regardless of who drew it, because Hawk and Dove look awful. I mean, reasonable minds may differ, but for my money they're the worst designed DC characters I can think of--at least that aren't in some fashion willfully bad, like Gunfire or Mad Dog.

It's funny, since their closest Marvel analogues are such paragons of good design. They're just as scientifically proven to be uninteresting, sure, but at least Cloak and Dagger are pretty.

Also, Hawk's existence ruined Armageddon 2001. His is a legacy of shame. :(

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I apologize if you mentioned it...so much keeps getting talked about in this thread lol. I passed on Hawk and Dove due to Liefield drawing the book. They were two of the more interesting characters in Brightest Day and in Birds of Prey.

16. Myasishchev

No worries.

I guess I really shouldn't talk shit about Hawk and Dove, because I've read about three panels' worth of Hawk and Dove material in my life. The concept feels like it would be better served by a Dr. Fate book.

I wish I could explain why I think they look so bad. It's not like I hate red/white and blue/white color schemes--like, Rocket Red? Ice? They look great, and are frequently standing next to each other. Maybe it's the complete lack of detailing or accessorization? Their stupid masks? I have no idea.

17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Yeah I caught that. I felt like this had an ounce of Smallville feel to it, or what the last few seasons should have been. I really liked Clark as a person more than Superman. I still liked both though. It definitely felt like two, distinct people.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved seeing the television commercial for the New 52 during Doctor Who tonight on BBC America.

Just wish it were a better commercial.

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Every time I hear Liefeld's name, all I can think about is The Wizard World Incident.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Someone mentioned an unused design for superman's costume at the back of JLA or JLI, does anyone have a scan of that?