Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jeff Tube, Jan 30, 2011.

1. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, being disappointed with an actor is much more likely if you put them on a pedestal. A lot of trek fans engage in what I'd call "people worship", and so therefore it makes it incredibly hard for them to live up to your expectations.

I'm one of those people that has zero interest in meeting actors from Trek and getting their autographs. Such things don't mean anything to me, and paying money for a quick hello and handshake is silly. So my perspective is very different than a lot of Trek fans.

2. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

That is specious logic on a par with "If a cop shoots someone they were probably doing something to deserve it."

I think that keeping ones expectations realistic is a very good idea. And I certainly don't fancy spending money for a grip and grin myself either.

However that does not change the fact that just because it's not what you or I would do, does not mean that those who do choose it are completely without validity to report back in some cases that they had a negative experience.

I don't think that expecting basic civility from a professional entertainer is too much, and clearly there are times when some of those entertainers have not managed said civility.

3. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder which convention goers these actors actually leave happier. The ones who get to tell their friends about the nice, fairly normal hello and handshake they got. Or the ones who get to spend endless hours as the center of attention ranting about what an asshole so-and-so is. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actors are just people. Sometimes they are rude because they are in a bad mood and sometimes because they are just dicks. Saying it's always the fan's fault is a bit silly.

5. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I met two voice actors who aren't from Star Trek, but they did voice characters I'm really fond of. This happened at Botcon in 2009.

Peter Cullen, aka Optimus Prime -- SUPER, super nice guy. I thanked him for his hard work and his eyes got all teary. He led me by the hand around the table and gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. Super, super sweet guy. I still cannot believe how TINY Peter Cullen is! I stand 5'1" and I'd be surprised if he's 5'6"! Such a sweet little man and he can generate that strong, deep, authoritative voice many Transformers fans are familiar with. In his panel, I jokingly asked him what Optimus Prime's pickup line is, and he thought for a moment, smiled and said in the voice, "Nice shine!"

David Kaye, aka voice of Sesshoumaru in Inuyasha/Beast Wars and TF Armada Megatron/ TF Animated Optimus Prime/The Enzyte "This is Bob" voice -- He ended up in the restaurant across the street from the con while I was eating lunch there. I saw his jacket out of the corner of my eye, so I waited for him to finish talking to who he was talking to(while standing RIGHT by my table) and was all "Oh my God, David Kaye! Can I hug you?" I just blurted it out. He said "Sure!" And he gave me a little squeeze when I hugged him. I told him to his face that his Megatron voice is sexy. He laughed and he did his "yeeees" for me. lol He gave me and my friends autographs there so we didn't have to wait in line. Then he played with my Unicron figurine for a few minutes. It was great!

I have their autographs in a cardboard Optimus Prime folder, which is now in my church choir binder. I see them every single Thursday and Sunday when I have to get into my music. :D

6. teacake

C what a great question you asked Cullen!!

7. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

I have to wonder how much hand sanitizer Shatner goes through. So many fans. So many germs. Sci-Fi geeks aren't the most hygienic people in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner had a complex.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, speak for yourself. I'm so clean, you could eat off my head.

Not that I would want you to...

9. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Actually, I was speaking from the experience of some of the conventions I've been to...

10. teacake

The stories I could tell on that topic.

It's very embarrassing that the worst elements of the stereotype don't take any searching to find. Quite the opposite.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Really?

Please share.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You have to say there's a difference though between insisting an actor whore themselves out as their character and just asking them to write the name of their character under their signature. The characters of Star Trek have strong emotional meaning in a lot of people's lives.

13. nascartrekkie

nascartrekkie Ensign Newbie

I have been to quite a few conventions.
    Jonathan Frakes (x3)- fantastic all three times
    Marina Sirtis - was great and remembered my daughter and I at the photo op
    Avery Brooks - took time for everyone in line. Long line but so friendly.
    Gates McFadden - filled in once when J. Frakes couldn't get there do to snow storm in Maine. She was great and very friendly.
    Walter Koenig - my first con. very nice but low key.
    Michael Dorn - nice but also low key.
    James Doohan - great story teller. friendly but rushed.
    Majel Barret - nice but quiet.

14. teacake

It's a very small world down under, I don't think I could do it without folk being recognizable.

I'll just say this: if you can afford a 600.00 VIP ticket you can afford deodorant and a t-shirt that isn't crumbling off your back. That's a very general description of a great many people.

15. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Oh, I do realise they're receiving monetary compensation for their presence and I certainly didn't mean to disparage the convention goers, personally it's not my thing*, but different strokes and so forth.
    I just can't help but empathise with Shatner reacting coldly to whoever wanted to put his arm around his shoulders for a photo, for instance: I'd be really weirded out if a complete stranger started putting his arm around my shoulders.
    Thankfully, not being famous, I rarely have to deal with such matters.

*While there are some actors that would certainly be interesting to meet (Sir Patrick Stewart above all), for me it'd have to be in a context other than "you did a show some time back and I really liked it"; more a professional context or a "friend of a friend" fortuitous event otherwise it's just awkward from the get-go, IMO.

16. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Going through this thread, I teeter-totter on the fence...

On the one hand, they're people and they have good/bad days, moods, you name it. Likewise, it must be an odd, surreal, or even weird experience at times.

On the other hand, they're being paid a handsome sum of money to be present. And depending on who they are, that sum of money can be what is to 99% of us a few months to over a years salary. It may be chump-change in Hollywood money, but it's enough to get them on a plane, fly cross-country, stay at a hotel, and interact with a few hundred people, so it should be enough for them to do their best to act their best. Even if they don't always succeed.

In my experience? The vast majority of them do so.

It's the exceptions that don't. The exceptions we've mostly discussed here.

I've met 60-odd actors, 75-80% of them Star Trek. Virtually everyone from the first four casts and tons of guest stars. And out of them maybe 5-7 of them left a bad impression with me, while the other 53-55 left me satisfied.

As to the ones who I consistently hear bad things of? Who can say why they are that way. Why they take the gig, take the money, show up, only to act like that time after time. Is it just the greed, just the money? Maybe. Maybe they don't know/think they're acting in a way that's deemed badly. I suppose none of us will ever know.

In the end though, of all those I've met (autograph inventory list that marks who I've met for those curious) the majority where worth the time, money, effort, energy, et cetera.

17. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I think that they'd be smart to ACT (their profession, you know?) nice - it's in their own self-interest, even if they have to deal with some not-so-great fans at times.

For instance, stand-outs amongst the ones I met were Jonathan Frakes, Connor Trinneer, Casey Biggs and George Takei. They genuinely interacted with fans and seemed happy to do so and were very approachable, even to shy people.

Contrast that with a few of the actors who were not very nice.

Whose merchandise would I buy or who would I go to see in other projects or support?

That's why at the very least, they should be congenial. There are plenty in that group - who do their job in a good humor. You don't have to be a Biggs or a Takei, but don't be a Beltran.

The ones who are either withdrawn or mocking? You're hurting your own wallets.

18. teacake

They sure are hurting their own wallets. I usually go to these things planning to get one autograph but I sometimes end up with two because I really like the other person. With Spiner I walked right past him and got Ethan Phillips, who was lovely.

19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with you. I like the shows/movies, and have read the occasional book, but aside from that I have zero interest in going to a convention or meeting any of these people in person. I do have a signed copy of Chekov's Enterprise that I bought at a used bookstore, but thats as close as I've ever come to meeting a Trek actor.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's horror stories like this that have kept me away from any kind of geek convention. I'm pretty tolerant of all people in all forms, but one thing I can't get past is poor hygiene. I suffer from migraines, and olfactory "discomfort" is their biggest trigger. In other words, people who smell bad literally make me sick. I know it's probably a physiological thing and my problem, but it is what it is.

And to be frank, I don't know what is with nerds and not talking the occasional five minutes to hop in the shower.