Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MacLeod, May 20, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're required to login once every 24 hours to play your games, but nothing will happen to your account if you aren't able to do this. Your games will just be temporarily disabled until you are able to connect.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I aree with you, however Windows phones make up 5.5% of the market, they only can go up. It's like a person I talked to that thought Apple was doomed, MS better and they based it on MS stock went up and Apple's "crashed", even though Apple stock is 15 times more valuable than MS.

It will all come down to games, and so far I haven't seen anything that would want me to buy and new systems.

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

As a total Xbox 360 fanboy, that's not the impression I got from this event at all.

I realize Microsoft and its partners will show off more games at E3. However they seem to be heading down a very wrong Google TV path with the XBONE's media capabilities. As one of the rare people who actually uses the 360 as a HTPC media extender and streams videos with it from my NAS, but who doesn't have cable TV, none of the new functionality appeals to me as most of it will likely be tied to having a cable subscription if history is any indicator. This is the same reason Google TV is far and away the worst electronic gadget I've ever purchased (got it cheap, still felt ripped off.) One would think that Microsoft would have taken a long, hard look at Google TV's crash and burn before seemingly modeling their new system's media functionality after it.

As for the games shown, nothing there appealed to me either...a fucking mo-capped dog and EA's inexplicably ugly renders of sports games that will likely never live up to the hype (remember the original 360/PS3 Madden renders?) is not something I would be touting as something only the next-generation of consoles can provide. If it's going to be mostly cookie-cutter sequels with slightly enhanced graphics as it has been for a few years now, I see no reason to purchase any console and will go all-in on PC gaming instead--at least there people are attempting to make games other than shooters, sports and racing games.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen to that. And I'll still have my Xbox 360 plugged in until the good red ring of death comes to consume my soul. I wouldn't buy the Xbox One if they paid me to play it (watch TV on it) and then unwillingly post all my achievements into the wretched depths of 'social media'.

billcosby scored 150 points watching Three's Company S03E08.
    billcosby scored 150 points watching Three's Company S03E09.
    billcosby scored 50 points watching Perfect Strangers Reunion Special.

(sad trumpet noise)

This is laugh out loud material, haven't seen it posted in this thread yet:
    Xbox One Reveal Highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well for example in the UK, one of the other places outisde of the USA were the 360 outsold the PS3. Satalite TV is fairly common.

6. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

IS that Gif woth a '"G" or a "J"? :p

8. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Yes I know

Well either is acceptale according to the OED, if he wanted it to be with a 'J' perhaps he should have spelled it that way. :p

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

We agree! :lol:

But I still pronounce it with a hard 'g'

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As do I. The question is does anyone on this board pronunce it with a J.

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I used to, then they changed it to Cif.

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I do. :shrug:

But the question really should be - is there anyone on this board who used to work for CompuServe who can definitively tell us how it should be pronounced?

14. Bob The Skutter

The inventor of it says it should be Jif.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But as we all know Jif is a cleaning product (or was until it was renamed Cif a few years back).

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Which also doubles as a particular brand of peanut butter. :D

17. Bob The Skutter

Which was what my joke was about a few posts up. :lol:

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

OMG! I get it now! Used that cleaning product way back when I lived in England! :lol:

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

You forgot about the obvious one. The Cosby Show ;)

20. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap!! Time magazine points out that not only is the X1 always on, but so is Kinect. The console wont function without it! This gives Microsoft a 1080p camera and a mic right in your living room. What sort of privacy customizations are available to us? What kind and how much data will Microsoft collect and what do they plan to do with it? Who thought this was a good idea? Interesting article!!

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/22...privacy-safeguards-5-questions-for-microsoft/

Last edited: May 23, 2013