Chuck -2x08 -"Chuck vs. The Gravitron"-Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the Dagman, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Rate the episode

1. Awesome!

64.7%
  2. Above Average

35.3%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Um... yeah, whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who believes this crap?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, that's one of things I was talking about way back when before we started this debate.

I definitely think she had some romantic/sexual attraction to Chuck back in Season 1, back when we were learning about all the drama with Bryce and that big kiss she planted on him before the "bomb" went off.

But as I originally said, I think they're both starting to develop a more platonic friendship, out of necessity if nothing else.

2. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

And I think that at first it was all an act
    And over time, their affection, non-romantic, has increased

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, you seem to have more faith in Sarah's ability to "fake it" than I do.

Ooh, and another thing:
    In "Chuck vs. The Truth" Sarah tells Chuck that there is no chance of their relationship ever going anywhere.
    We later find out in the same episode that Sarah has built up a tolerance to sodium pentathol, so she was still able to lie while infected with the truth syrum, which was meant to imply that she was in fact lying when she told Chuck their relationship was purely cover. I know you're approaching this from a "she's a CIA agent perspective," but I am looking at this from the perspective of "this is fictional TV show." These moments exist for the express purpose of letting us know that Sarah has (or at least had) feelings for Chuck.

4. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

She's a trained CIA agent. I'd hope she'd be able to "fake it"
    From what I get, almost all women have had to "fake it" at one point or another...

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sarah has a good motive to fake a lack of emotional attachment to Chuck. If she fails, she gets pulled off the case and never sees him again. And even worse,when the new intersect comes on line, Casey will kill Chuck. I'm sure Sarah realizes he's capable of it. She's hanging in there to try to stop him.

My question is whether she'll ever try to warn Chuck of what's coming. Maybe that's too disloyal and what alternative plan could she offer?

This being a romantic comedy, Sarah must love Chuck and Chuck must love Sarah, regardless of whether either of them realizes or acknowledges the truth. The genre demands it, just as the genre demands that they be kept apart because when they get together, the story ends.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, Who's the Boss and Cheers were never the same after Sam and Tony ploughed the objects of thier affection respectively...

Although then there's News radio. Dave and Lisa did it almost immediately as did Big Grey with McDreamy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So with Thanksgiving and everything I just got around to watching the episode. I really didn't expect Jill to be an actual Fulcrum agent, I thought the double-agent thing would have played out so I'm kind of happy it went the way it did.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned in discussion so maybe I'm the only one. When Jill revealed that Fulcrum has that mobile medical unit and we found out the Awesomes suddenly had something come up and couldn't make it and knowing that they're both Doctors...

I kinda thought we might find out the Awesomes were Fulcrum... :eek:

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

O. That's totally Highlander. And Elle is Hallowed ground. :)

Besides, have we actually been told what Fulcrum is? What's their agenda and their origins and thier powerbase?

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, Sarah is obviously in love with Chuck, and we the audience are supposed to be fully aware of that. Hence all the reaction shots in which Sarah tries not to act all cool and professional but is obviously conflicted. The only reason they include those shots in every episode is to make it clear to the viewer what's going on . . . . .

There's nothing ambiguous here at all. Sarah's in love with Chuck, but is pretending not to. That's the whole emotional engine of her storyline.

10. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sarah die?! Noooooooooo

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's going to happen! Just wait!

12. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Nah. If anything resembling that happens, it will just SEEM like Sarah dies for a few episodes, so Chuck can become "cold and professional" for a little while.

--Ted

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm thinking more along the lines of the series finale. I can definitely see one of the main characters dying in the final episode...saving the world!

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And then they're suddenly still alive in the next season premiere! They'll probably then get shot in that season's finale, but they'll still be okay in the next season premiere!

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

...I said SERIES finale.

Meaning the last episode...ever.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oh, sorry. :p

17. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

I think you guys are comparing apples and oranges here... 'Sarah Walker', 'real' CIA agent would certainly be that sort of calculating professional killer that TighsEye claims, and, if 'Chuck' were set in the real world, that would almost certainly be the case.

However, it should be obvious to anyone that this isn't set in the real world. It's a slightly cartoon world of high-tech spy fantasy, not unlike the James Bond universe (pre-reboot). Here, the emotions are obvious, the traps are expected, elaborate, and overly complex, and nobody shoots anyone when it would be most logical, ESPECIALLY if the hero is deep in the villain's lair, helpless and easily picked off.

In this universe, it's obvious to see that Sarah's affection for Chuck is genuine. Besides, if it was just as act, Casey wouldn't give her such a hard time about it, nor would she give such weak excuses to him when confronted.

18. Bonzo the Fifth

On topic for the episode, though...

The whole thing was enjoyable, but seeing Big Mike take down Leader was, quite frankly, (for me) the best moment of the series yet...

I'm amazed at the fact that we've yet to see a real clunker of an episode. Even the pilot holds up surprisingly well after two and half seasons of development. Normally, I don't tend to see that in any show that lasts longer than a season...

Just noting.

19. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ One and a half seasons, not two and a half. ;)

20. Bonzo the Fifth

Yep, my bad... I knew that...