The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Scout101, Jun 23, 2014.

1. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

While mingling with the locals might be good for moral (at least for those who spoke Spanish), given an environment that comes with a global pandemic it is probably a bad idea. Now that you have killed off most of the personnel who guaranteed that infected locals didn't infiltrate the camp its probably only a matter of time before some desperate infected make it across the river, bypass the traps and reach the camp hoping for a way to survive. And who knows the incubation period for the people there. Someone could have been exposed to infected survivors, keep it a secret out of fear of being cast out and be a menace to anyone they come in contact to.

Are you going to put your shore leave party in suits? Are you going to test everyone who went ashore when they return to the ship? The doctor keeps saying that one infected crewmember could doom the entire crew. You might want to play it safe with interacting with the outside world until you have that vaccine in the interest of the greater good.

As for the episode, I was wondering if they used the oxygen tanks if they had a way of replenishing it. Also, since they have more crewmembers than suits . . . who were the unlucky (or lucky as it turns out) bastards who didn't have to suit up?

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can there be more crew than suits? Don't all sailors have their own MOPP 4 suit like soldiers do?

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, plus the president can suspend all that anyway if a national emergency is declared.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

On this, we agree completely.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the only Trek series that felt like an authentic ship was TOS. And I say that as someone who enjoys and defends Berman Trek.

6. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone else notice the picture of the USCG Cutter in the break room they were in in the 1st 1/2 of the ep? Was a Black Hull ship, so most like a buoy tender or construction ship. odd place for a picture of a ship from another branch of service. You can see it plain behind Dr. Scott around the time the Captain called in the lock-down.

7. The Wormhole

I thought that was this image of an Arleigh Burke class ship?

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wormhole's right. It's a Burke. Simple to tell. No stripes going up the sides, not US Coast Guard.

9. J.T.B.

He's talking about this:
    [​IMG]

It looks kind of like the old surface effect patrol boats, but maybe not quite. Maybe an artist's redition of a next-gen SE vessel? The water jets out the side are a giveaway. Anyway, no idea why that picture would be up there but my guess would be that it's a fictional CG vessel which had some kind of interaction with Nathan James.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I stand corrected.

Obviously I wouldn't actually see any picture Rhona was standing directly in front of...

You're also right about it being a Surface Effect patrol boat. I tried to link a page showing it but the BBS is not cooperating...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. The Wormhole

I'm still staring at the posted screencap and don't see any pictures of boats, USN, USCG or otherwise. ;)

Interestingly enough, I think Chandler was standing in front of the Arleigh Burke picture. Funny I had no problem noticing that picture.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yep. Total mystery...

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok seeing this thread hang around for so long made me curious to finally check this show out, and I gotta say the first ep was actually pretty decent.

The story was definitely a bit too rushed, and I had a hard time buying that 80% of the world's population had really been killed off in a period of only 4 months. But the show has such a great, big budget, summer movie kind of feel to it, and it's not often you see a show set on an actual Navy battleship, so I'll probably stick with it for awhile just for that.

Plus, it's got Adam Baldwin in it, so that helps.

14. J.T.B.

Oh dear...

15. davejames

Lol. What, does the ship go kablooey in episode 2?

16. J.T.B.

No, it's just that you meant "warship," not "battleship." I know what you meant, but the internet being what it is I was anticipating soembody jumping in with a technical correction.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:shrug: Lots of people's definition of "battleship" consists of "Well it's in the navy and it shoots stuff, so it's a battleship, right? Just like in the movie with Rihanna!"

18. davejames

Oh jeez. Are people not in the military really expected to know the terms for all the different ships and hardware out there?

Just be glad I didn't call it an aircraft carrier. :p

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Ex-military guys always like to act like they're keenly aware of every detail about the military. Most also watch special forces-type shows/movies and go "dude, that's totally what I did back in the day" in their heads. Even if the only thing they did while in the military was wash dishes in the galley. Worse still, they then try to get snobby about the precious few things they do know (or spend twenty minutes looking up so they can pretend that they knew it), and snub their noses at the ignorant "laymen" who are so stupid that they don't know such trivial things. OMFG. <hair toss>

The same thing happens with anyone who's shot a gun at a firing range before, at least in regards to being an "expert" on firearms and ballistics.

It's kind of sad, really, but impossible to get away from. Just part of the human psyche, apparently.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

^^^Um, I've never been in the military and I'm not a Special Forces wannabe. I know what I know because I'm a naval enthusiast and there are plenty of open sources of information that explain basic shit like the difference between a battleship and a destroyer. I'm only a little disheartened that more people don't avail themselves of them. They can actually be quite interesting.