‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If Superman can use help from Lois and an AI of Jor-El in his own film, I'm sure they can find something for Batman to do.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^"Help?" Jor-El, Lois, Col. Hardy, and Professor Hamilton were the true heroes of MoS. Superman was their sidekick and errand boy. He went through the whole movie doing what other people instructed him to do -- Jonathan, Jor-El, some random priest, even Zod. He didn't exactly demonstrate a lot of skill at independent decision-making. If he can't outgrow that, then he's definitely going to need Batman to do his thinking for him.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, so 1930s Batman.

Will this be before of after he dumps someone in one acid vats that can be found all over 1930s Gotham?

4. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

I'd rather have MoS2 first, then Superman/Batman introducing a new Batman. I feel the new Superman needs to really establish himself first before we get a Worlds Finest team-up

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

CONFIRMED - one million news articles to follow.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Press release says Cavill, Adams, Lane and Fishburne are confirmed to return and that a new Batman will be cast. Here's the logo they showed at Comic-Con.

According to io9 Harry Lennix joined Snyder onstage for the annoucement and read the following dialogue:

It's from The Dark Knight Returns. Snyder said the movie won't be an adaptation of it, but it'll be inspired by it.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's a very exciting idea, I just hope they get a team of good people behind it. I liked both Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises, flawed messes that they admittedly are.

I'm more excited by the prospect that they've thrown away Nolan continuity. Maybe now we can get an immortal Ra's al Ghul?

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Woot! I was hoping they'd do a World's Finest movie (well, it's not technically confirmed to be World's Finest yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they at least borrow some ideas from that) prior to any sort of Justice League movie. I can't wait to see who they cast as the new Batman; and hopefully this iteration will embrace his comic book roots a bit more than the Batman of the Dark Knight trilogy did. A tone similar to the Arkham games would be ideal, IMO.

I'm also loving the announcement of a Flash film. I'm kinda surprised they're not doing a Wonder Woman film, too, but I guess they're still a little squeamish about that idea. I'm also confident that they'll introduce either a recast Hal Jordan or one of the other human Green Lanterns in Justice League.

Exciting times! :D

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the press release:

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Will they be using the Nolan Batman continuity, with a new actor, or set up something else? Seems strange to jump in with a new continuity for Batman without setting it up in its own story, but at the same time the Nolanverse really doesn't have room for a magic flying alien.

12. DalekJim

Really? The Tim Burton Batman movie did just fine jumping in to the Batman story.

I'm kinda tired of the dependency on origin stories for superheroes in Hollywood. The Amazing Spider-Man was a waste of time, I don't want a Batman version of that. Give us a new continuity and just skip to when he's Batman.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No mention of Nolan there. Is he finally moving on from the superhero genre?

14. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whatever they do, I'm sure it'll all fit together. I know folks are worried how they'll reconcile Superman and Batman in the same universe but considering that they've been doing that in comics since the 1940s, I'm not too concerned about that. All I want is a rip-roaring adventure that requires the Man of Steel and the World's Greatest Detective to join forces, defeat evil, and save the day.

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

You know that's not what I meant. Burton established his version of Batman in a Batman movie. This is a new version of Batman, showing up inside an already established Superman continuity and sharing the screen with already-established Superman actors. It's not something they've done before.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I don't see why he should be involved anymore. It's not his batman franchise anymore.

He only pushed forward ideas for "Man of Steel" and then stepped aside.

17. DalekJim

I don't get why they'd need to build it up. Everybody who would ever go see this movie, already knows that Batman is a millionaire who's parents died, that fights crime. I genuinely don't get what you mean. The audience don't need 2 hours of a solo-Batman movie reboot showing his training for the first time.. again, him meeting Gordon for the first time.. again, etc.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

True, and to be perfectly honest, I'd be happy to see him move onto other pastures. I'm fine with him sticking to blockbusters (as much as I enjoy his early thrillers), but I think he's said what he has to say on the subject of superheroes and could better apply his talents elsewhere. Interstellar should be a good place to start.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

He'll probably exec. produce, at least--why leave a slice of pie on the table?

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a big fan of the Snyder movie but this seems preferable to another Batman reboot and a good way to move towards a possible JLA film.