Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

^ There is no pressing need for you to read Kobayashi Maru before Destiny. The only overlap between the two is that Andy & Mike coordinated with me regarding the names and descriptions of the Columbia's crew, so that the details would match up between books. Narratively, the Destiny trilogy will not spoil anything in Kobayashi Maru.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I've got some really good timing, because I was just getting on the ask the exact same thing. Although this now makes deciding between it and Dawn of the Eagles even harder.

3. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet another question re Destiny content:

Obviously, the books are being heavily promoted as being a crossover between multiple crews, the most greatly advertised of which seems to be the DS9, TNG, and Titan crews. However, it's also been mentioned that it will affect the Voyager storyline as well (maybe even New Frontier and Klingon Empire?). Even the covers show captains from these 3 series. Does this mean that these three crews/series will be more heavily featured than Voyager? Will there be any effect on upcoming Enterprise novels?

Also (and I apologize if this has been asked before), will Destiny effect upcoming DS9 novels at all since the story seems to take place a few years ahead of where the relaunch novels are currently at? Will some novel series be more effected than others? Will any be entirely uneffected? Thanks and I'm looking forward to the read!

4. David Mack

Destiny will offer some hints at the upcoming direction of the Voyager books, but the real revelations for that series will come in Kirsten Beyer's truly epic Full Circle.

Yes. The Voyager and/or its crew have some important cameo appearances in all three books, and veterans of the Voyager TV series feature in all three books (e.g., Tuvok on Titan, Seven on Earth, etc.) However, they are not this story's featured players.

Not particularly, but the events of Destiny's 22nd-century storyline will preclude some story possibilities in that line.

No. Great care was taken not to spoil the upcoming story of the DS9 post-finale novels. Obviously, the presence of some characters in the Destiny trilogy will make it clear that they're unlikely to die in an upcoming DS9 novel, but death isn't the only dramatic consequence that can befall a character....

Yes.

New Frontier is unlikely to have any of its ongoing storylines affected by the trilogy. Future books in that series are unlikely to acknowledge the continuity of the trilogy. But then, I might be wrong about this. One never really knows what Peter will do...

My pleasure. Hope you enjoy it!

5. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for the very detailed response!

6. David Mack

^ You're welcome. :)

7. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone think that Book One will be released a week earlier?

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

A week earlier than what? Trek books don't have set release dates. Gods of Night could start appearing in bookstores any day now.

9. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fact, the author's and editors' advance copies are already in da house.

10. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Really? I'm sure you can't give anything away for spoilers and all that, but it seems odd that Peter David would implicitly ignore any of the grislier "Continuity Road Kill" elements you'd introduce. Obviously New Frontier's generally off in its own little corner of the galaxy, but it seems largely consistent with what the rest of the novel line is doing. Plus, with him writing an actual TNG novel just recently and his admittedly vast experience working within a shared continuity with his comics work, I'd figure he'd have no problem keeping his novels chugging along with the rest of the 24th century line.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Except that large aspects of Before Dishonor and Q&A were somewhat incongruous.

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I don't understand why PAD gets all the heat for that. Since the books were written mostly simultaneously you could also blame KRAD equally. If you blame one author for it you have to blame both, yet the only one critizised is David.

But IMHO it's the editor's fault anyway when two books she wanted to be published back to back aren't "in sync".

P.S.: Don't get me wrong I actually liked both books, and don't see any problem with both authors having different takes on the characters, because I see both as standalone novels. Just playing Devil's advocate here.

13. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'll grant you that some of the characterizations were a bit, well, off, but the general continuity of plot and circumstance is fine. It leans heavily on Resistance for it's initial plot thrust and continues on from there, even leaving the Einstein plot thread for the next book to pick up.

14. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Are the eBook advance copies in da house too?

15. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but we call them manuscript files. They're usually Word docs, and unedited. I get mine from the authors.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do the three main crews interact at all? The reason I ask is because so far, in all the excerpt we've read, they're each in seperate parts of the galaxy dealing with (apparently) different issues. Now I know there is plenty of time for them to get together, and that's why I wasn't just assuming they are spending the whole series apart.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KRAD created the characters. He's told us about some of the thoughts that went into their design. And his version is the one that was first released to the public.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. JWolf

What I was trying to say without bluntly saying it, Are the eBook edtions of the Destiny Trilogy going to be released the same time as the pBooks?

19. JWolf

For the Destiny Trilogy, would it be a good idea to read the Voyager Relaunch books first?

20. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I believe Dave has stated before that Destiny is a true crossover, so you can probably assume more will happen than has been presented in the 3-4 excerpts released to date.

God, no! What a terrible idea!!

And I think Marco was not-so-bluntly telling you he has nothing to do with the ebooks... something I believe he has bluntly told you multiple times in the past.