THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Just us lucky Australians. Sad I'm still yet to see it, but got plans to see it on Thursday ... finally. :D

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'm seeing it wednesday...

3. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

I was dissapointed that I saw it on a Friday and not on a Thorsday...

4. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved it!!! I had a real fanboy moment when Thor 'flew' with Mjolnir. I think Marvel have hit the nail right on the head; exciting, fun, epic and intimate, funny and family friendly. It was a breath of fresh air after the hip/knowing worlds of Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim (which I loved as well, it must be said) and the darkness of the Nolan-verse. I've been reading Marvel comics since the early 70's and I thought it was great; so did my friend's 9 year old son who now wants a cape and hammer!! 'Nuff said.

5. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have seen Thor twice now and think it is up there with the first Iron Man film. The cast is just phenomenal, Chris hemsworth owns the role and Tom Hiddleston is just awesome as Loki. In fact Loki is probably the best film villain i have seen in a while and this is due to Hiddleston's performance. Also the after credits sequence is ace.

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it this afternoon. Enjoyed, good solid fun.
    Wasn't amazing or anything, but not bad, I gave it a B+
    It all looked beautiful, esp Asgard, but some of the character moments felt a little bit flat. Just that Thor and Natalie Portman seemed to just fall in love because the script said so kinda thing.

One little question though, why do a lot of you care what reviews this gets? Come on, most of you are going to see it either way aren't you? I like to avoid reviews alltogether now for these sort of movies. Like say X-Men First Class, Capt America, etc, now I'm GOING to see those films, and so I'll make my own mind up as to how good they are.
    Just my own view anyway

7. captcalhoun

REVIEW: SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW. DON'T READ IF YOU'RE SPOILER-PHOBIC!!!

YOUR LAST CHANCE TO CLICK AWAY NOW....

OH. MY. GOD. it's AWESOME!
    Where do i start? the direction's great. the acting's good. the FX are amazing. Chris Hemsworth really sells being the arrogant, but still likeable God, Hopkins is brilliant as Odin. Tom Hiddlestone is suitably creepy as Loki and Natalie Portman handles the technobabble well as Jane Foster, as well as being hot as per. Despite some people's fears, Kat Dennings' Darcy is good as the light relief as well as providing the need for the plot dumps for the audience (like what a Einstein-Rosen Bridge is - a wormhole, known to the Asgardians as the Bifrost Bridge.)

The story barrels along at a fair clip. Switching from Asgard to Earth and back quite well, as well as visiting Jotunheim.

Hawkeye's appearance is brief, but is well played. Look forward to Agent Barton's full appearance next year in Avengers.

Stan gets a great little cameo - WITH DIALOGUE!

The Warriors Three and Sif are a great little group and provide some of the light relief too, I kinda hope they get a bigger role in Thor 2. They also provide a great gag - a SHIELD agent sees them on Earth and reports in that they've got 'Xena, Jackie Chan, Robin Hood and...' before being cut off but an edit.

Thor does fly, several times, with the Hammer and does spin the Hammer a few times too. The Destroyer's impressive. Fury only appears in the post-credits scene which appears to set up Avengers.

the credits end with 'Thor will return in The Avengers'...

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw it today, really enjoyed it. Had some misgivings going in, despite enjoying the trailers. Would Branagh's commercial curse strike again? Could Hemsworth carry a movie? Would this movie, like Iron Man 2, suffer from being a set-up for The Avengers? And would it end up like the He-Man movie?

Fortunately, I had nothing to worry about. This was a fine, fun comic movie. The costumes and Asgard looked great - they didn't look plastic on the big screen. Asgard had a genuinely epic quality, enhanced by the 3D.

Branagh deftly handled the tonal shift between the comedy on Earth and the swords and battles n Asgard, as did Hemsworth. There wasn't a bum note from the cast. I'm pleased to say that Idris Elba was particularly powerful in his role (up yours, racists). And Hemsworth and Portman had good chemistry together.

The cameos from and references to other Marvel characters were just right - enough to keep fans happy, not enough to swamp the movie. The Hawkeye one was good - Renner is going to be fun in Avengers. The Thor/ Loki/ Odin dynamics all worked well. We even got some Donald Blake references.

Basically, Branagh and the scriptwriters got it right, right, right. I think Hemsworth ought to go on to be a big star and I hope to see more of Thor, not just in The Avengers, as promised, but in his own movie.

Oh, and the inevitable Jackson cameo serves a purpose this time. Who saw that twist coming?!

Over to you, Messrs Johnston and Vaugh, but the pressure's now on.

Finally, I'm pleased to say that on a sunny afternoon in the middle of Easter week, my cinema had a respectable turnout. Could just be that it's Branagh's hometown but in reality most of his movies wouldn't even fill the local arthouse cinema. So I think it more likely that Thor has gotten a high-enough profile to get the crowds out, despite its apparent hard sell.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Patrick Doyle's score dropped today early and it's pretty spectacular. I'll be seeing the movie next week.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Oh, I meant to say that I thought Doyle's score was the best from a superhero movie for a long time. I haven't really cared for most of the scores from the big movies over the last few years, but I really liked this one.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think it's my favorite score of the year so far.

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

saw it earlier. It was awesome. Very impressed by Hemsworth and Hiddleston were great as Thor and Loki.

13. PudWacker

PudWacker Ensign

14. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night, I thought it was good and I enjoyed it, although I did feel slightly underwhelmed. I think the film felt a bit unbalanced as the first 20 mins/half hour or so felt really epic. The second part just couldn't live up to that. The attack on the frost giants home world was really good, but the fight with The Destroyer didn't have the same impact.

I preferred the fight with Loki rather than the one with The Destroyer as it had more emotional resonance. It had some nice nods to the Marvel universe and there were a lot of funny lines and moments.

High Points:

The casting was excellent. The family dynamic between Odin, Thor and Loki was great to watch. Heimdall was totally badass. Sif and The Warriors Three offered good moments.

The humour of the film was good, it didn't feel forced. My favourite line was probably when the Shield agents saw Sif and the Warriors Three walk down the street and they said "We have Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood" :lol:

Asgard looked magnificent, especially liked the Rainbow Bridge.

The assault on the frost giants.

Minor Criticisms/nitpicks:

I didn't feel they needed to have the opening scene with the science team crashing into Thor and then repeat the scene later on.

I didn't really like the way Thor regained his hammer. I mean, the spell was "Whoever holds this hammer, shall he be worthy, will possess the power of Thor". Which is fair enough, I would have preferred it had Thor actually held the hammer as he died. Although one of my friends pointed out that Odin shed a tear, so maybe he willed Mjolnir back to Thor.

Hawkeye:

Enjoyed Hawkeye's cameo although I don't understand why he'd even reach for the sniper rifle before the bow.

End Credits Scene:

I was quite amused because pretty much everyone in the cinema was completely nonplussed by it. After Iron Man 2 there was an excitement because people actually recognised Mjolnir. I guess the same isn't true for the cube. Although I don't think too many people were really into comic books because there wasn't much of a reaction when Donald Blake was used.

I did like how it managed to establish that Thor returned, and the reveal that Loki was present added extra excitement.

I kind of want Nick Fury and Odin to meet so they talk about eye patches :lol:

Roll on Captain America!

15. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

Just saw this and loved it. Probably my favorite of the Marvel films. Easily one of the best superhero films. They really nailed the tone of this. Very good.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Who's the little drive by troll who gave it an F then?
    Come on, fess up

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I noticed that as well :lol:

For the record I gave it a B+

18. PudWacker

PudWacker Ensign

I gave it an A-.

19. captcalhoun

i gave it A+

20. Captaindemotion