Star Trek Vanguard- to read or not to read?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Killandra, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope not, lol. But I love all Trek (some more than others) so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. :) I am pretty easy to please overall.

2. Killandra

Awesome! I can't wait! I can appreciate some dubious action, it keeps the character flawed and more three dimensional. I don't think any of us want to read the adventures of Captain Perfect and the the crew of the USS Do No Wrong, where would the fun be in that? :)

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you've an eReader, so this may be a moot point, but: In print Distant Early Warning is part of the What's Past Trade Paperback. :)

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought she played an active role in a series of flashbacks?

5. Killandra

Im primarily an ereader, but I cannot help my love for the look, feel, and smell of a printed book every now and again... :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want to read it in paperback form it is part of the What's Past omnibus, along with the other 5 novellas in the miniseries.

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Vanguard is the best Trek literature I have read hands down. I love the characters in this series. It is a must read for any Trek Lit fan:bolian:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't recommend Vanguard enough. It isn't just good Trek lit, it is great science fiction even if you aren't a Trekkie. Seeing it end is going to be like saying goodbye to a close friend.

9. SD70ACe

SD70ACe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I second, third, and fourth that statement.

10. Patrick O'Brien

:lol: Awesome! The motion carried!

11. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I read Harbinger when it first came out and absolutely loved it. As Chris Bennet pointed out, "DS9 in TOS-Time Period" is a good, but inaccurate, elevator pitch for the series. In 2009, I went back re-read Harbinger and then plowed through the 4 books out at the time. It's quite the series. Really consistent, and definitely wroth checking out. My only real complaint about the series - and it's valid for a lot of recent TrekLit - is that it gets a little Small Universe Syndrome-y at times. But it's not being rubbed in your face like in some instances.

Currently I'm stalled out after finishing the first story in Declassified. I hope to finish out the DS9 Relaunch and return to the book and the last two Vanguard stories then.

12. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This thread may have convinced me to add Vanguard on to my reading list once I'm done with Typhon Pact... I don't know whether I'll instantly fall in love with it like most of you have - as, like a few people in this thread, I've never had much time for TOS as a whole, enjoying individual episodes but never really sitting down and ploughing through the series - but I'll try to fight the hype aversion and give it a fair shot. I did like Distant Early Warning, so that's a start.

13. Patrick O'Brien

CNASH, you will not be disappointed. I was not the biggest TOS fan growing up either. Vanguard and the new CGI graphics for TOS changed all that. I am now rewatching TOS for the third time(thank you netflix):lol:

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You won't regret it !

It approaches the TOS era with a serious modern sensibility - it's great !

15. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yep. It also provides some great backstory and extrapolation to people and happenings in TOS and its films.

Though I love TOS, I rarely read TOS books, and have become very attached to the Vanguard story, having read each book at least twice in the past year.

Mack and Ward seem to really enjoy their Vanguard original characters and it comes out in their development and individual growth.

16. Patrick O'Brien

We are one and a hlf months away from the final installment in the series. It will be a bittersweet moment for sure. Still I am very excited to see how it all wraps up:D

17. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I'm a Vanguard newbie, only just started reading it a few months ago, but it's an incredible series and the praise is well deserved. Right now I'm nearly done with Precipice.

18. Goran

Goran Cadet Newbie

It's the best TOS era stuff out there IMHO. The books really give you that on the frontier away from Starfleet Command feel that the best of episodes of the TOS captured.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's actually something I'm weary of. Don't get me wrong, I've got the first four or five Vanguard books on my shelf and I'll get to them eventually and probably love them, but "modern sensibility" and the TOS setting don't seem like a good fit to me.

Modern sensibility in a cornball setting with 3/4 trousers and jelly bean buttons?

20. Patrick O'Brien

Trust me, they make it work! The cornball you speak of is gone (except the quintessential trek humor). The equipment and clothing are described in TOS fashion, and I find it fits in nicely. The authors even work in several TOS characters and episodes that may surprise you:)
    I think you are going to like it Daniel. You have taken the first step by owning the first four books. Time to dive in an enjoy. It's Mack, Ward, and Dilmore at their best:bolian: