Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he certainly looks young enough, judging from the pic.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it looks a little bit more homemade, and not as "perfect" as Maguire's costume. It always bothered me that Maguire's costume was suppose to be hand sewn, but looked like a professional made it.

That said, it's going to take me some time to get used to the new design, since I thought Maguire's costume, for what it was, looked kind of perfect (is that contradictory?). However, I think Garfield's lanky frame suits the costume better. Spider-Man was always kind of skinny and lanky, and in that sense I think this works.

I'm not blown away, but then again after Maguire's costume got so much right, they had to go in a different direction in order to separate themselves from Maguire's costume, and for all the changes they've made, it doesn't look that bad.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks a bit weird without the red around the waist, but it's okay I guess.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

As long as there are no nipples on the suit I'm happy.

My blood always starts to boil whenever I think about how Schumacher fucked up Batman.:mad:

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm really surprised they changed as much as they did. I figured Sony would want to make as few changes as possible, and not risk hurting a good thing they had going with the Spidey movies.

If nothing else, this gives me a bit more confidence in the movie-- that they're actually trying to make something good here, and aren't simply trying to squeeze more money out of the franchise.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No, thats the reason she has on tights.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't see mechanical web-shooters in that pic but whatever, I prefer organic ones. (Or at least the compound/"webbing" being natural and the shooters placed to a less disgusting spot for use.)

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I wasn't looking forward to this movie at all until seeing the new suit today. I think it looks sweet.

9. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I like that this this looks like Garfield in an actual suit, as opposed to Tobey's "floating head on top of CGI mesh" look. I realize both are in actual suits, but still.

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I miss the red around the waist but other than that it looks real good. I like the spider logo on the chest better than Maquire's version.

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

They're actually quite clearly visible in the hi-res version: http://www.slashfilm.com/photo-marc-webbs-spiderman-hold-clues-character/

I quite like the design of the costume. I wasn't sure how they would be able to make the new suit stand apart from the Raimi version without veering too far from the iconic design, but it looks like they pulled it off.

I'm actually looking forward to this film quite a bit. The casting is great, I loved the director's last movie, and the first pictures look pretty good. Wouldn't have expected to be this interested in a Spider-Man reboot.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem for me is the lack of the belt. It's just jarring. Other than that, I really can't complain too much. It's still recognizable enough as the iconic costume, but differentiates itself enough from the Raimi version.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it. Have no complaints.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

15. Trekker4747

Well, okay. Maybe but in the comic weren't the mechanical shooters fairly large and had tanks? For all we know that could just be a metallic lip around the opening in his suit that exposes the organic shooters.

16. Nerys Myk

Only when his gloves were off. With the gloves on they became invisible.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Notice how artfully the shot minimizes Garfield's neck, which is amongst the longest known to man. Seriously - if that shot were 3D, his head would be in a different time zone from his tookus. I'm still waiting to see how they handle that when he's in the suit, and can't pop a collar to hide at head-tunnel of his.

(I do like Garfield as an actor, though; don't get me wrong.)

18. Trekker4747

.... :wtf:

19. Nerys Myk

Its comics baby. He can also wear the Spidey suit under his streetclothes with no one the wiser. Hell Superman wears his bloody cape under his clothes! Batman puts disguises on over his mask!!!!

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well now Batman doesn't have to do that thanks to Lucius Fox's new smart mask he designed :) The web-shooters over time have been redesigned and tweaked by various artists. The original Ditko one's were pretty large and clunky. I assume the metal alone would have been heavy on a normal human's writs. The web-shooters now a bit sleeker and less clunky and the tanks are smaller looking than they used to be. I don't have a pic with me or else I'd post it.

Off topic a bit...I believe Marvel released this pic and the Captain America one (even though that wasn't official but from EW) in response to DC's Flashpoint teasers, maybe not direct response but at least to generate discussion of their own properties.