Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah...I wasn't looking for a speech or a wave but maybe just a hover over the crowd after he deals with the planet. Instead of cutting to the crest after Clark rips his shirt I would have preferred cutting to a Daily Planet newspaper headline stating "Superman Arrives" or something cheesy like that. After the Blur business I would assume that the people of Metropolis are stupid enough in this show to assume that this guy is another character completely which would have been the intention.

2. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

It was good, uplifting, not perfect.

I got a real kick out of the stuff at the end... it seemed odd seeing Clark as Superman, as he realy has been Clark for ten years.

But my biggest issue, on reflection, is they tried to deliver the story into the films too much. They'd really gone their own way... killing Lex and Jimmy, Lois knowing he's from Krypton etc. And I'd accepted they were their own universe.

Then at the end, they just kind of undid all that so they could tie in with the movies.

Jimmy... I don't get it at all. That's the bit that confused me most.

But overall, I enjoyed it.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

they had to have jimmy in it other wise it would'nt be superman.

clarke aka superman
    lois lane
    perry white
    jimmy olsen
    and
    kat grant

daily planet roster. also jimmy is james younger brother or cousin I forget and james was in season 7 & 8. if read the comics or watch the show for the last 10 yrs you should know this. all so loved the superman music through out the hole show.
    I think they should have made it a two part four hour movie event.

4. Admiral_Young

^ You just love spelling things wrong don't you? Also why did you repeat your question about Clark and Lois's wedding when I answered you the first time Friday night? Do you actually read through the posts on the page before you post?

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jimmy's younger brother Jimmy turned up at Jimmy's funeral.

The lad looked like he was 10.

Lois mentioned Vince Lombardi a couple weeks ago.

That made me smile.

6. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't watched any smallville in ages but i tuned in for this. It was about what I expected really. My only disappointment was no Rosenbaum/Glover scene.

7. Admiral_Young

^ There wouldn't have been a Rossenbaum/Glover scene since Glover was playing the alternate universe Lionel.

@Guy...do you mean Steve Lombard? Or the Green Bay Packers famous coach?

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I can completely understand why there was no full shot of Clark in the suit after all the hassle that the 2006 movie's suit got. That said, it would have been nice for him to do an appearance to the crowd.

My other gripe is at least Lex's childhood memories should have remained intact. What motivation does he have now?

9. Admiral_Young

Even comic book Lex has his memories of Smallville...he just has chosen to completely ignore them. Only Lex's childhood memories of being in Smallville were wiped, not all of them. As to what motivates him...Lex is still the psychopathic/megalomaniac he has always been, just without the Smallville memories. It kind of was like an anti-mirror for Martha's comment about Clark not forgetting his time in Smallville. For him those are what defined him. Lex doesn't need his Smallville memories to define him. I think that was another point of that scene, but of course I'm delusional so what I know? :)

10. Whettestone

Whettestone Captain Captain

Smallville Finale - What's the DOOR SCENE?

I just read an interview on TheFutonCritic.com by a Producer.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/inter...and-kelly-souders-508202/20110513_smallville/

At the end of the interview, he mentioned the "door scene".

He says: "In the end, Peterson teased one last moment that fans of "Smallville" (and I suspect Superman in general) will more than likely enjoy immensely. "There's a very good scene with a door," he said. "It's probably one of everybody's favorite scenes in the show... there's one shot that is just like the 'Smallville' shot. You'll see it and you'll be like 'This is what we needed in the finale!' You'll know it the second you see it..."

Was he talking about the VERY LAST SCENE where Clark opens the door, rips open his shirt with the "S" as he walks to the camera? Or was he talking about something else? Just curious. It seems odd that he would give away the very last scene in the interview, although they did over-hype it. And what was the "Smallville shot" he talks about?

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

What an awful retcon that was. After telling Chloe earlier in his season that he lied about his parents because his father was an alcoholic he didn't want to deal with, his father shows up with a brother he never knew. Henry James Olson was a joke...

I wouldn't have erased Lex's memories. Someone on another board noted that they had made such a good point about "the destiny of two great men" that they thought Lex would never reveal Clark's secret.

One thing though...seeing the Daily Planet reminds me how old media the newspaper industry is. It's a dying industry and seeing Lois behind the camera makes a little more sense now.

12. Admiral_Young

Re: Smallville Finale - What's the DOOR SCENE?

^ I assume Brian is referring to the final scene of the episode...and why do we separate threads for every little thing dealing with the episode. That's what the episode thread is for.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I know people are complaining of CGI Superman but what I wanted to see most was Superman in action so I knew he'd be CGI. That's what satisfied me the most.

14. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, thank goodness the show's ended.

Nothing gained, nothing lost.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd assume he's talking about the scene where Lois and Clark were on opposite sides of a door, exchanging their wedding vows. It's certainly one of the strongest scenes of the episode, nicely written and beautifully shot, with the camera circling around the two of them repeatedly even though there was a door and a wall between them. Very clever stuff, a high point in a wildly uneven two hours.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Are you calling TATV haters closed-minded? Because you know, it's a pretty big camp you're bashing here. Just saying.

As for the "Finale"... Smallville, in its entirety, is crap. I'm with Gaith on this one. What began as a solid reboot of Superman mythos, soon became a steaming pile of horse shit.

I did, however, decide to watch the final season, just to see Clark finally become Supes, and I believe it more or less delivered. Also, hearing John Williams' music in the and was a huge WTF moment, in a good way I mean. I really didn't expect them to do that.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, you don't realize what you just did, do you?

18. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Re: So did Clark put on the suit and fly? (Smallville SPOILERS)

No, it was actually a real prop/costume-element.

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Expressed my profoundly personal and subjective view of the series and its finale? [​IMG]

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's when the execs to him not to let it hit him on the way out.

Oh wait, that was just a dream.