Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

NO! He's going to be the Flash ;)

Not surprised that Routh won't be considered. It's Snyder's Superman movie.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, guess I'm not going to waste my time seeing this, then. Thanks for saving me a couple hours, Warner Brothers.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Zod, they can rip off the I Am Legend poster....

"The last son of Krypton is not alone."

If Superman's been around for a while: Jim Caviezel.

If Superman is still fairly young: Matthew Bomer.

To ensure that Nolan's Batman and Snyder's Superman never crossover: Christian Bale. :)

Unless they use the Zod storyline from Superman and Superman II as what happens before this movie, that's not a direct connection. That's like saying The Dark Knight is connected to both Batman (Joker) and Batman Forever (Two-Face).

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does Snyder have compromising photos of the execs at WB or something? He keeps making mediocre movies that underperform yet keeps landing great projects.

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm torn. On the one hand, I loved Dawn of the Dead, loved 300, loved Watchmen. Zack Snyder carries a lot of cachet, as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, I find Superman an aggressively uninteresting character and every prior attempt to bring him to the big screen has been, at best, ridiculous. Too, Snyder's previous films have featured rather dark subject matter and a sceptical, to say the least, view of humanity--how will that stylistic outlook be reconcilled with Superman's puppy-dog mentality and vomitous Grant Wood worldview?

Still, I'm intrigued, which is more than I've been able to say about this project. If the trailers and reviews are good, I might actually go see this in theatres.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

All of the figures below are from Box Office Mojo.

Dawn of the Dead
    : Production budget of $26 million. Pulled in $59 million domestic & $43 million foreign ($102 million total worldwide).

300: Production budget $65 million. Pulled in $210 million domestic & $245 million foreign ($456 million total worldwide).

Watchmen: Production budget $130 million. Pulled in $107 million domestic & $77 million foreign ($185 million total worldwide).

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole: Production budget of $80 million. Since release on 9/24, has pulled in $30 million domestic & $11 million foreign ($41 million total worldwide domestic so far).

His first two films performed quite well based on the production budget alone, with his third and fourth films seeming to underperform (and I imagine especially so for Watchmen once you factor in advertising budget). That said, The Man of Steel has two things going for it that neither Watchmen nor this owl movie did: Everyone knows the name "Superman," and it can also be advertised based on Christopher Nolan's name ("from the directors of The Dark Knight & Inception and 300...").

This is not a defense of the quality of his films. I have not seen this latest film (nor do I intend to) but I did not like any of his prior films.

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Billy Crudup too old to play Supes now? Go from one omnipotent being to another.

9. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forget age. The guy's tiny.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Superman and Green Lantern are about the only two superheroes I'm interested in watching in a movie now. So far, so good. :)

And I want to see Superman lift heavy things. I want to see him rescue people falling through the air, save aircraft, divert rivers etc etc. That he does these things, and that he's a champion and a powerful protector of people in many ways that have nothing to do with "fighting bad guys" is why he's a bigger and better character than most superheroes.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked his Dawn of the Dead remake, but I haven't really liked anything he has done since then. I thought 300 was an exercise in gratuitous violence without much in way of an actual plot or any resemblance of character development. Watchmen was better, however it still felt uneven. I have a feeling that no matter what, whoever made Watchmen was doomed from the getgo because unless you slavishly adapt the graphic novel- which in a lot of ways Snyder did- you're going to disappoint people, and even though I thought Malin Akerman was very weak and some of the story elements didn't necessarily pay off as hoped, it was a decently strong adaptation with good intentions.

I think my main problem with Snyder as a filmmaker is that as of late at least he seems to be more interested in style than substance. I thought 300 was a unique visual experience, until I saw Watchmen and realized a lot of the same visual preferences he originated in that movie crept into Watchmen and that was disappointing. I don't really want to see the action sequences in Snyder's Superman full of slow motion. Also, for those about to quip that Nolan's Inception had slow motion, at least the slow motion in that film related to story and was sparingly used. It's like Snyder has a "slow motion button" and clicks it every other moment when he can't help himself any longer.

However, there are two key elements that keep me invested in this film and that is the involvement of Christopher Nolan as producer and David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan's script. They give me faith and hope that this film will not just be visually dynamic but focused on also telling a good story with interesting characters as well. I know after Bryan Singer's Superman Returns that people want a "bang 'em up action movie", but any good action movie has a good balance at juggling an interesting story with well-developed characters.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Synder can provide the "bang!" "wow" visuals while Nolan and Goyer can provide the dialogue to draw you in.

It sounds good on paper at the moment

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

16. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    HA! This is going to be fucking insane!

:techman::bolian:

17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Granted he is a little too short, but shouldn't Supes be somewhere in his early/mid 30's? 37 is close enough for movies. I just can't think of anyone else who has the build, the look, and the acting chops other than Brandon Routh. I doubt they will even consider Tom Welling, even though the timing would be perfect.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Great actor, but waaay too short to play Superman.:rommie:

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I personally don't have a problem with someone 5'9" being Superman and it would open up the field to more choices but fanboys seem stuck on 6'2" or taller. Even though 5'9" can be faked into being taller on film. :shrug:

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am very happy and very pleased! Superman is my #1 favorite superhero. I think the director will do a fine job and I think we'll see some spectacular action scenes and a good script from Nolan & Goyer.

I am disappointed that Brandon Routh isn't going to be Superman but I will keep my fingers crossed that whomever they select will be just as good!