Phil Collins to return to music and work with Adele

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shaka Zulu, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think not being able to play drums anymore was a pretty devastating thing--not just the constant physical pain but emotionally, as well. But now he's re-discovered interest in other aspects of music-making; I think that's great.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The dress code in the recording studio will be no jacket required... Sorry, that was incredibly lame.
    Good to hear Phil is coming back, even though he can't play the drums, he can still write music, sing, produce... works for me.
    I'd still love to see a full Genesis tour with Phil and Peter Gabriel sharing vocals, and just use a different drummer.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

@ Kirby: I saw him in person once, in concert and he was either drunk and/or stoned :(. And was bad mouthing his ex wife. Wanted my money back. Didn't listen to any of his music for around 2 years.

All water under the bridge now, and best of luck to both him and Adele :). Hope it works out music wise.

5. Shaka Zulu

So would I, but I don't know if that would or could happen due to the way Phil is now; would he be able to stand up and sing, or would he need help?

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

This is good news. I've been a fan of his for a long time.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nope, he can't sing.

Or dance. But he can walk.

Hey, it's no worse a joke than the jacket thing. ;)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a girl that's been on Phil's mind. All the time. In the su-su-studio.

(That was worse.)

And I had no idea that Phil can no longer play drums. :sigh: He was one of the best drummers I've ever heard.

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I am glad that he can keep working in some fashion despite his illness.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best description I ever heard of Phil Collins music was that he had a voice like a prehistoric bird

11. Shaka Zulu

He needed operations just to play the drums on most of the songs of Going Back as it was.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a shame; I saw him in 84 or 85 on the No Jacket Required tour and it was a great show.

I don't know if it's true or a rumor, but did he really tell one of his ex-wives that were getting a divorce via a fax?

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Sorry to hear that he can't play the drums any more, but I think him and Adele will make a great musical pairing. I look forward to hearing their stuff.

14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea it was. A friend of mine got me and my mom, along with herself some tickets as a birthday gift... was looking forward to it, tbh, was a huge fan of both Genesis and him. So it sucked to hear him act that way and the acoustics were just terrible :(.

Not sure. But I can say that he was pretty pissed off on stage. Said some pretty nasty stuff. I wanted to go and have my friend get the money back for our tickets.

Lucky :). I used to have a tape of that album. Got one of the songs on my ipod, along with some of his other music. Can listen to it now just fine.

Got any favorite songs?

15. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a soft spot for Phil.

I can't say I am a big fan, although he has lots of decent pop songs, just pop isn't my thing, but I respect anybody that can take a critical drubbing like he has done for his whole career and just thumb his nose and shift another 10 million records.