FARSCAPE returning to DVD!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Johnny Rico, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The last I heard, they were being scripted. But perhaps KRAD may be the expert here, since he's been writing the comics with Rockne S. O'bannon lately.

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I already bought the 4 boxes myself, so I've got the series as well. Frell, this always happens. I finally break down and buy some series because it's about to go extinct on me and then once I do that some brand new rerelease comes out. :brickwall:

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started buying Farscape back when they were released in Single 2-Episode Discs, I stopped after the 2nd disc came out...

If the price is right, I will finally own Farscape, DS9, Buffy & Angel (Complete)

Cool.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Even though my best friend owns Buffy and Angel and has said I can borrow them whenever I want, a couple weeks ago I found out that Walmart was selling them for only $15 per season! So I broke down and bought 1-3 of Buffy (Season 1 of Buffy and Angel actually came packaged together for only $20).

I love my Farscape DVDs, and I already own the whole show. I think the only way I would buy them again is if they came out on Blu-Ray.

5. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

A&E usually have expensive dvd sets upon inital release. it takes a few years for them to come down. I doubt we will see even a $40 release price. Im guessing $60+ per season. MSRP will probably be $80.:lol:

6. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't see why anybody would pay more than $100 for a DVD package these days. Those should be 1/10 the price of Blu-Ray releases...

7. Osiris Aten

Osiris Aten Lieutenant Red Shirt

Same happened to me. I've been buying the used dvds as I haven't been able to find new editions & then this happens. Luckily, I do not have S.1 yet, and so will have to get that *new* :)

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I bought the Starburst (1 sided) editions only last year, all brand new sealed copies.
    Paid over $100 each for 2 of the first seasons sets. Most of the rest weren't too expensive. Avoided the 2 sided discs after reading about numerous problems with them.
    But I'm curious, any idea how the full series set might be packaged? I was never too happy with the Stargate SG1 full box set. It looks cool, but a pain in the ass to find the right disc. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten the individual season sets.

9. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I guess it depends on the packaging. The two complete series that my family has are both packaged very nicely (Friends and The Twilight Zone).

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Other than having trouble find copies of the season 1 & 4 sets, I don't have any problems with the Starburst editions. I already have season 2 & 3 and I hate having to double dip, especially with TV series. The only time I don't mind doing it is if I'm buying the complete series set (like I did with The West Wing).

11. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't find squat in my neck of the woods so this is great news.

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I'm in exactly the same boat, Skywalker, though I did pick up The Peacekeeper Wars used at Blockbuster once. I can't wait for this release - hope it's at least somewhat affordable!

13. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

*Starts the process of convincing the boyfriend we really need this series on DVD* :D

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there any possibility of a Blu-Ray release? I know one hasn't been announced, but are there any technical obstacles to such a thing?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Depends what resolution the visual effects were originally rendered at.

I know the first three seasons were shot on 35mm in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio (full screen). The final season was shot in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio (widescreen). I believe it was still filmed in 35mm, not on High Definition Video, but I could be wrong. This doesn't really matter--35mm has many times the resolution of HD.

It's possible the first three seasons were protected for a widescreen frame, but I'm not sure if they were (and the visual effects probably weren't prepared for such a frame, and would have to either be cropped or redone if these seasons were made available in widescreen).

Ultimately, it is the visual effects that will mean if Farscape is ready for an easy transfer to HD or not.

16. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know that the announcement was about the DVD release. But my q is about A&E having the rights - does this mean that the A&E channel will start doing Farscape reruns?

It's been a while since I saw that.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I can relate. I had the same problem with any double sided disk that came from Universal. Curiously though, I have many double siders from Warner's and, with one minor exception, have never had a problem with those.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

My double sided DVDs of The West Wing (season 1-3) from Warner Bros. have been less than perfect, especially over time. I had problems with the few HD-DVD/DVD combo discs I came across before that format sputtered out, too. I think it's just some sort of manufacturing problem with the double sided discs that hasn't been solved.

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Oh thank goodness. I never thought that I'd get to see this show. I picked up the first few disks from Netflix and loved them, but the second half of season one was perpetually missing. Finally, FINALLY I'll be able to see this.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If you thought the first half of season one was great, just wait until seasons two and three. The show really started to come into its own in the latter half of S1, but S2-3 are amazing. :techman: