Spoilers VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 20, 2012.

?

Rate The Eternal Tide.

1. Outstanding

85 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Above Average

56 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think he just said what they did -- spoiled the ending of the book.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

O.K., Marc has posted a lot of shit on that page, but for once I have to defend him. He actually kept it ambiguous, his post was:

That isn't anymore definitive than having her on the cover.

(Disclaimer: Just assuming he hasn't deleted a more spoilerish post. ETA: Although that seems to be a strong possibility looking at the time of KingDaniel's post and the post date of the post I quoted above)

3. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

That's what I saw, so I was going "huh?"

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just popped back and checked - that's not the post that was there earlier. The spoiler one, with a bunch of complaints by me and others, is gone.

I'm glad for everyone else's sake it was changed.

5. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

No, there was a more spoilery version that got deleted when people complained. I think it was an unfortunate lapse in judgement, though running off to another site to use profanity seems a bit childish.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Those with downloads can find out tomorrow?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sucks, but really even if the group owner never posted a spoiler the chance of getting spoiled by a random in the group replying was high.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is true. And although I'll probably enjoy reading about how Janeway returns, I'd have much preferred to have found out if she returned.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you would need to quit Trek fandom cold turkey for that.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't post often. I think the last time was Beyer's last book. I'm seeing that the early numbers in the poll suggest that this is another winner. But I can't really find any comments on the quality of the book. And no online reviews yet.

So I'll just ask, how is it? Is it as good as Children of the Storm? Cause that blew my mind.

12. Gates

Gates Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's an amazing, well thought out, enjoyable ride, Manisphere. :)

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just started this last night after work, gonna tear into it tonight.

14. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally I didn't think it was as good but a lot of that is the due to the sheer amount of loose ends it was tying up. As well as the Janeway issue there are massive shifts in the status quo of the series to the point where it could go in many different directions after this. It's still a very good book but it's not as focused as Storm and feels a bit too busy at times.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just wanted to remind everyone who reads the digital versions that they are available today.

16. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Already have my ePub. So I'm good to go.

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine arrived literally two minutes ago. :) I've got to go out in a few hours, but let's see if I can get through a fair chunk of it before then.

18. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

OK, got it, read it, and... frankly I'm underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong - the story is tightly written, well-scripted, and thoroughly consistent internally and with the rest of Trek Lit. I liked the nods to canon and fanon throughout, and I loved what I took to be a commentary on what went wrong with the series of Voyager.

(I can't seem to get spoiler-code to work... any help?) (EDIT: Thanks Christopher!)

So we aren't altering the timeline? Is that a record for us? - Chakotay (or words to that effect

What I didn't like is the actual path taken by the characters, and this needs to be in spoiler code.
    Afsarah Eden's 'transformation' and subsequent destruction just seemed like a step too far, as did the use of Q Junior as a counter to Eden. What I mean is, this is the second fleet commander to be "not what he/she appears to be", and this time it's not even just an Undine infiltrator - it's a whole other continuum! This just seemed to come from nowhere - yes, there were hints that Eden was special, and OK, the anomalies were interesting, but something could have been done with them that didn't require them to be universe-ending (or indeed multiverse-ending) cataclysms. Personally? I was hoping they'd be rips in the fabric of spacetime caused by meddling with the timeline, which Janeway had to tidy up before time became meaningless.

I loved most of the plot, and I can't wait to see where Ms Beyer is going next with this. I doubt Starfleet will just plop Janeway in charge of the fleet - from her perspective, she's just gone through the major trauma of assimilation, and she's got to deal with the loss of billions of people, as well as the fallout from this event. They'll want to put her through batteries of tests and counselling sessions before they let her anywhere near the centre chair... or at least, I would, if I were them.

One last thought...

We only got a little snapshot of Riley's people. I can't see any reason to put that in there for the purposes of this story... so I'm guessing it's foreshadowing something to come later in the novel line? Please? :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^In the opening brackets, you have to put an equals sign after the word "spoiler" and then (optionally) add a description for what the spoiler is about. Or you can use the advanced editing window and click on the icon to the far right that has a yellow emoticon face with an X for a mouth.

20. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Although due to the title spoilers are assumed in this thread anway.