The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

Greedo shooting first changes how the audience perceives Han Solo. It makes him less of a rogue and more of a regular protagonist.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ugh. Let's not get into the Star Wars stuff here, please. We've got like fifty threads about it down in SF&F; go argue about it there.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

4. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I don't know if making 4:3 image to 16:9 is worth it. The didn't do it for TOS, why do it for TNG? It looks awful for the HD Friends/Seinfeld 'explosions'. (I'm assuming TNG wasn't show in 16:9, like B5 was).

5. lindajamison76

lindajamison76 Cadet Newbie

Good post. I appreciate it!

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I made these a while back to show how cropping wouldn't negatively impact the show.

Here's the originally framed 4:3 shot
    [​IMG]

And the HDified 16:9
    [​IMG]

Another shot, old school:
    [​IMG]

And new hotness:
    [​IMG]

The "meat" of the action has been, and will always be in the center section of the screen. Losing the background on top and the foreground on the bottom wouldn't really negatively impact the plot, feel, or "director's vision".

Plus, lot of people just like having the entirety of their TV that they paid a lot of money for filled with exciting colors and moving images. Double if they paid hundreds of dollars for the full TNG-HD box set.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the cropped shots better. But there are some cases where it wouldn't work or where they would have to build artificial pans into the scenes.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Squiggy, there are easy shots and there are hard shots. I'm sure a lot of the shots are easy to crop. The problem is, you need to crop every shot of every episode. All it takes is one or two shot that are too difficult to crop and it ruins the entire episode.

If you check this thread, I submitted a couple trickier shots. Someone tried to make them 16x9, but the results were noticeably crowded and worse than the original.

9. Squiggy

True, it wouldn't work for 100% of the shots in the series. I think most of the shots were static. It's not like Sorkin and West Wing where you had long walk and talks but even those other shots in TNG were left-right movement/pans. Since you're not cutting out anything on the left or right (just the top and bottom) then it should be alright for the most part.

If that makes any sense. Hell if I know. I'm a sound guy.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if they have to scan the film reels, they have to redo the cropping for every shot anyway.

11. Squiggy

Actually, that's subjective (as anything dealing with this would be), but I think the first attempt shot is pretty good. Here's my go at it:

I'll take your second one first. Riker was speaking therefore he was the center of attention:
    [​IMG]

As for your first one, it depends on who's currently talking...if Riker or Worf then this:
    [​IMG]

If Picard or Troi then this:
    [​IMG]

If all for are having a go at it then you're going to either use the Riker/Worf framing or do a vertical P&S.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Very interesting. It seems a bit like PhotoShop's content aware scaling.

One thing I had always wondered was if it was possible to use frames that come before and after as a reference for recontructing a 4:3 shot into 16:9 without losing or distorting the original. It seems like seam carving might be what I was thinking about.

13. Squiggy

Theoretically possible. Depends on the lens.

14. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No cropping, please. If I'm paying for the whole series, I don't want 30% of it missing, thanks!
    If you want your screen filled for whatever bizarre reason, then use the zoom function on it, rather than vandalising the show for everyone else.

"Redoing" the cropping isn't what takes time or effort. That would be automated. As I understand it, the show was filmed 4:3 with safe zones. They'll simply match the original crop.

Creatively "reframing" the whole show for 16:9 would take time (and therefore money), and would probably look terrible anyway.

15. Squiggy

Do you feel the same way when you buy a movie and aren't getting the whole thing?

16. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think I ever have, but I'm sure I would.

17. Squiggy

Because you rarely are. Unless you're watching a movie letterboxed, you're not getting the entire thing. Even if you watch a movie in a fill 16:9 screen you're not getting the entire movie as movies are 1.85:1. (or 5.55:3 or 16.65:9)

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I watch all movies in their original aspect ratio if possible..

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

These are quite good, and don't even include the overscan image, which adds a little information horizontally to what you ahve here.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Generally his isn't a bad idea, I prefer letterboxed to pan and scan obviously, but the TATV example, Seinfeld (I prefer the 16:9), the examples from Ex Astris Scientia with only a minor 5.8% stretch, and the examples shown on this thread, really make feel satisfied with a 16:9 showing.

You also gain some image...

[​IMG]

RAMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.