The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

A gag reel in HD.
    Surely the assistant editors will be looking through footage and may find some of funny things. They can have it telecined.

Also I'd like to see some alternate takes with production dialogue. This would really show the Paramount Trek production process but would also require getting the original 1/4" tape production audio reels transferred to digital and sync with newly transferred film.
    Some TV series show extended scenes or alternate takes on DVDs as special features. 'ER' is one of those shows. I don't think they want to spend additional money doing that at all.

TOS, TNG, DS9, & VOY disappointed me on the DVDs with no commentaries except "The Trouble with Tribbles" with writer David Gerrold on the TOS s.1 Blu-ray.
    By 2005 though DVD had a lot of special features on most discs for complete season sets and ENT had commentaries on a handful of episodes each season when they released it in 2005.
    With this TNG-R Blu-ray release in 2012 I'm expecting great things to get fans to double (and triple) dip. VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. With many people streaming video of movies and TV series when you actually purchase the Blu-ray disc not only do you get better video/audio quality you get the special features including commentaries and multiple audio language options.
    If "Mad Men" can have Audio commentaries by cast and crew for each and every episode of the show on BD & DVD and sometimes 2 then TNG-R can have them too. It's one of the cheapest special features to create and long lasting enjoyment for fans and rewatchability. The fans DO want cast & crew commentaries. Sometimes the writer, sometimes the director, sometimes the editor, sometimes the producer. This is the only chance CBS is getting to redo the home video release in high definition so they should give it all they have to have more ways to sell it.

I want a 15 minute featurette on the restoration process and creation of new VFX for the TNG-R episodes similar to the TOS-R
    'Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century' (HD 20 min.) " interviews with the team that updated the special effects and remastered the series for re-release, and demonstrations of their work. "

Come on hardcore TNG Trek fans would want to see some 'unprinted takes' that were shot for scenes with improv dialog or alternate line readings from actors, or a wide master shot of a whole scene without edits.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm satisfied that the Bluray of STNG is finally upon us...between the Digital Bits news and Levar Burton tweets...so I think the rumor thread is probably no longer valid. Official word may come on Sept 8th or Sept 28th, but we do KNOW there will be at least 4 episodes in HD!

[​IMG]

RAMA

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

It occurred to me..unless he was lying, Okuda is not involved in this project at ALL apparently. He said he had no idea about it. How do people feel about this? It's one element of this that has me worried.

RAMA

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Lack of Okuda is pretty strange. Hopefully they'll pull him in eventually.

5. jefferiestubes8

I expect audio commentaries on the complete seasons on blu-ray and some of Okuda text trivia commentaries.

For any Additions to content in VFX shots should consult Okuda really.
    Some PADD or bridge displays may need new LCARS graphics is a VFX shot.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:bolian:How many are asking for it as an Xmas gift?

Seems odd since he worked on STNG but not TOS that he should not be involved....a decent number of Okudagrams could be expanded on.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Star Wars blu-ray set was not enough to get me off my backside and finally buy a blu-ray player, but TNG? Oh, most definitely.

Excited to see what the first episodes will be (I know it sounds like one will be "Encounter At Farpoint"), and what the extras will be, new effects etc.

Compared to George Lucas' criminal treatment of "updating" the Star Wars trilogy, the TOS-R was incredibly reverential and appropriate, and I'm hopeful TNG-R will be as well.

Cannot wait!!

8. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

If they remaster all 178 episodes I would expect them to develop very good cost efficiency in the remastering process. If TNG-R sells well maybe they will use this expertise to remaster DS9 and VOY at a lower cost? There is always hoping! :)

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The tech is always advancing...scanning the negatives into digital takes less time than 5 years ago, who know what will happen in the future.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=9730479&linkID=10225802&siteID=123112

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_DataCine

TOS-R spurred me to buy and HD-DVD player. I already have a Bluray player, but I only own 3 bluray discs. STNG-R will definitely be on the list!

10. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess that makes it official. :lol:

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect the lack of Okuda is because this is a small batch of episodes meant to test the waters of market interest in TNG-R. He'll probably be involved in the full TNG-R project.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

WOW, a great article/interview with Daryl Baskin, STNG editor!!

http://postfifthpictures.com/2010/02/the-editor-answers-daryl-baskin-star-trek-tng-editor/

More info...from STNG's 4th season onward:

Despite what we think today, The Post Group was state of the art. From the AVS forum.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Damn straight

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm wondering if that should read "I think Paramount is working on getting all the shows to HD".

I have to say this is the most exited I have been about a Star Trek project in a long time. I can't wait to see the first HD episode!

15. jefferiestubes8

Thanks RAMA for that great link and quotes.
    For the non-industry folks :
    Dailies with 10 frame handles really helps with TNG-R because most likely that means only the 'circled takes' 35mm negatives were saved. A negative cutter cut the negative with these selects. This would lead me to believe notes were kept for take#s used and eye matching cuts gets it down to frame accurate.
    So not ALL of the camera negative was just stuck in a vault.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's to hope!

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for making this thread, Rama!

I've just finished a brief editorial on the TNG Remastering project over at TrekCore if folks want to take a look: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/

It's interesting looking back at the DVD screencaps for the four episodes announced to be on the sampler and seeing the different challenges the remastering team will face.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might be interesting if they did have all the dallies to add back in deleted scenes and have an extended cut of the episode on Blu-ray. That isn't to say don't but the original aired version on but on.

20. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be interesting, but too likely to draw fan ire from certain parts of the fandom. They're better off focusing on improving the episodes as they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.