Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hasn't it always been, in principle?

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lets hope this is true. I've been well and truly deprived of the Master since 2010.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only for periods in the mid-sixties and eighties. If anything, we're due, actually...

Mark

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, I believe there was even a location photo from an earlier season 8 episode showing the same thing with the regular TARDIS prop. The idea basically is to allow Capaldi to walk through it, giving him the illusion of continuously walking, rather than waiting for his cue to move.

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be nice to see Tegan again. That photoshoot of her with Capaldi might actually be related to the shoot.

That said, I really, really wish we'll not see the Master again. Not for another two or three regenerations, that is.

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

New photo via comingsoon.net's trip to the Licensing Expo:

[​IMG]

and
    http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/119560/hr_Licensing_Expo_2014_57.jpg

7. Green Lantern

Da fuck, why?

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Chill, different people like different things.

As for myself, I hope the rumors about the Master returning with an American actor are true. Actually, the American actor isn't the important part, I just want the Master to come back.

Although, I do think an American actor could be fitting for an evil role in DW given the fan belief (that I share) than an American DW production or an American actor playing the Doctor just would not work. In that context, an American actor playing an evil role could be great!

I'd also like to see Teegan again!

Mr Awe

9. Green Lantern

I think the Master must return, he's criminally underused.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Better underused than overused. I'd rather want more Master than getting bored with his appearances. Like the Daleks.

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Completely unsubstantiated rumour about the Lanzarote episode, based on a single tabloid article:

The adventure whose scene is being revisited is not The Fires Of Pompeii but Planet Of Fire, and it features the Master, possibly played by someone who is very well known in America. Interesting, because it could mean a more formidable Master (someone else playing the Ainley incarnation, perhaps?), not to mention (conceivably) a look at the mid-eighties version of his TARDIS and an explanation as to how he survived the Doctor's attempted execution of him. Not to be taken too seriously, as they got his last appearance wrong (identifying it as the one where he gets shot by his wife and not the one where he appears to redeem himself somewhat by rebelling against the people who made him a monster).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Recent history shows that when they shoot abroad they'll use it for two different stories as two entirely different locations. It could be both Pompeii and Sarn in two different stories.

It sounds cool but they're connecting unsubstantiated rumors about location and casting.

Mr Awe

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Maybe the Simm Master is there to save his former incarnation from that execution.

14. Christopher

I always felt that the 1996 movie retroactively explained the Master's survival in "Planet of Fire." It showed the Master being cremated by the Daleks, but surviving as some kind of ooze life form that was able to possess a human body. I figured that he survived vaporization in PoF by the same means and was somehow able to reconstitute his Tremas body. And I always assumed that this was a power he acquired when he stole the Source of Traken.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is so particularly important about the Master's supposed death in Planet of Fire that it needs to be explained 30 years later? Back in the 80s nearly every story to feature the Master ended with him left for dead or even apparently dead. But in his next appearance, this would be waved away with the Doctor asking "didn't you die last time?" and the Master responding with "obviously not." So how is Planet of Fire any different from the others that it's getting a more in-depth explanation? Especially since at this point, it really doesn't matter how he survived Planet of Fire since we've seen him killed and resurrected and regenerated many times since.

16. Christopher

Well, first off, we don't know that it is getting an explanation -- just that a single tabloid is claiming it will. Which isn't exactly reliable intel.

But what makes PoF different from those other apparent deaths is that we don't just see the Master screaming in terror just before the camera cuts away -- we actually see him getting vaporized before our eyes. That makes it rather harder to explain away, because we can't assume he just slipped away at the last second.

17. Green Lantern

I don't think it's so much about trying to solve the Planet of Fire thing as much as it is giving the Ainley Master the chance to return in the new series and also thus gives us an even better opportunity to see footage pre Trial of a Timelord with the Master and Valeyard. Plus the regeneration thing with Simm is just getting confusing more often and Ainley is arguably the most popular Master along with Delgado (Ainley is my favourite Master too so he return albeit by a new actor is much welcomed in my opinion).

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Time for the Rani, oh, that could be the title. lol

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I don't think they would get another actor to replace the late Anthony Ainley, maybe so footage but I have a hard time seeing them do that also.

20. Green Lantern

Well I can't really disagree with you there. I would probably be more surprised if it was true than if it wasn't, but if they could find the right actor for the role then I'd be happy with it. Still, if I had my choice they'd cast Steve John Shepherd as the new Master, he'd be a perfect Master although he doesn't have close enough a resemblance to play the Ainley Master.
    [​IMG]