1:350 Scale Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Patrickivan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Howdy

So my fantastic wife bought me a 1:350 scale Enterprise for our anniversary. I'm super excited and have been making construction plans since.

I'm making some custom bits including the bridge interior, and rec deck.

Now the rec deck in TMP always pissed me off that it didn't follow the exteriour contours of the ship. That said, mine will. Some things just meant to be, so I made this in google sketchup to get a handle on things. I made this off of drawings based on screencaps from trekcore.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the room does indeed accomodate a great number of crew. Like in the screen caps, they are shoulder to shoulder. This shot has over 320 people I believe. I can put more, but it illustrates my point that the room is large when empty.

I will put some balconies along the slope, including some chairs and tables, and sofas. A lounge...

My only issue with this configuration (the only one that fits really), is that the view screen should be on the other side of the room, like a movie theatre, but we can't have everything can we?

So does anyone have any thoughts on this? It won't be super duper detailed due to the scale, but I will try as hard as possible...

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

See bought you the 1701/1701A Refit - you have a sweet wife. I believe there is a more accurate "Rec Deck" available from aftermarket casters. You might want to check Hobbytalk for possible vendors. There is a ton of usefull information on builds there too.

As for me, I have 1 approx. 50% complete and one still in the box unopened. I hope to someday get back to my build. I had to move from NY to OH about 2 years ago now, and I've just not gotten back to working on models. It's (shamefully) sitting in my new workshop, dust covered and still in various pieces... :(

Good luck, it's a wonderful kit.

Q2UnME

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probert did some prelim. sketches of TMP Rec Deck so as to fit the saucer contours, as you have done. The idea didn't end up being used, we got the Rec Deck in TMP as we did.

You can Google the pix of Probert's Rec Deck sketches, maybe give you some ideas for your project.

4. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

5. Patrickivan

Get to work!!!

Ps- why in the hell would you move to Ohio? ;)

Oh ya! I completely forgot!! *stupid- stupid- stupid!!!*

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/w...06/Andrew-Probert-recreation-deck-concept.jpg

My point was to make something similar to that, so I'm glad we were on the same wave-length. Damn. Do I make those giant windows or leave it as the movie had them??? And do I put the balcony across them, or not? Arg- I was going to start today too...

Thanks. I've seen this. There are some photoetch bits I really would like for this kit. The thing I didn't like about this Rec kit is that it tries to mimic the movie through forced perspective. My point is to make the rec dec fit appropriately to those contours.

I know it won't be as the movie is, and I wish it were really, but I think making it be as it should have been is a fair compromise.

There are some things I would love to do, like put those big windows on the top of the saucer, but things like that are too far removed from the movie in a sense. If I ever were to get a second kit, I think I would do that and give the ship a different name.

Anyway- on to construction shortly. I have a lot of work to do. I will be also making the bridge set through a combination of styrene and clay. I'll then vacu-form that with a small vacu-former. But regardless, Im starting with the rec-dec. So exciting!

6. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some day I should build one on the EIGHT kits I bought.
    Why the hell did I buy 8 of those thing!?!? :cardie:

8. Patrickivan

I have indeed! He made some very well thought out compromises and is a great modeler, eh?

You bought eight because you had no choice. It is your density... I mean, destiny!

I told my wife and she gave me such a look- it was a warning look I think. Part disgust for what you buying 8 of them (she had a hell of time finding one for me), and part, "don't even think of it, Ivan"... :guffaw:

Anyway- I've made my decision. I'm still going with the tiered slope to blend with the contours more accurately. I've drawn up the plans to be a cross between Probert's concept, and TMP's final version. Like in my sketchup version above, I will have the catwalk along the aft windows, and the angled walls. I will also through in the display in the forward part of the room, TL access, and p/s corridors.

I start cutting and sculpting this morning.
    ---

And here we go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ya want an extra one, let me know. :lol:

10. Patrickivan

Dude- I may take you up on that... I have barely begun this one and I want to do one with more of the Probert concepts.

Here's a little update. Moving along nicely. I put a little 1:350 little guy there for scale (little grey fellow on the catwalk). I think that I will use thread for the rail. I'll coat it in glue after affixing it and that will harden it for painting.
    [​IMG]

and the bridgedeck
    [​IMG]
    ----

And this is it for the day...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  11. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love what you are doing with the Rec Deck. But I don't understand why you can't combine the back of the set as built (the catwalks along the windows) with the front (a stage at the lower level). The screen? That can fold down from the ceiling, be a virtual screen, or just sit free floating above the stage and in front of the catwalks.

It seems that the great choice of harmonizing Probert's concept with what was filmed is undercut by having an unfunctional theater setting where the screen is back where the projector sits.

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The attention to detail at this scale is stunning.

13. Patrickivan

I'm in agreement. There should be a fold down monitor in the aft section of the room. However I will keep the little Enterprise Historical Gallery in the forward section.

Thanks. Everything is still in it's rough phase- no finishing until I get everything ready.

In the meantime, it's been a slow week for this. Busy. All I got done was another wall on the bridge- and I'm thinking of scrapping it and going back to my original idea to sculpt sections and vacuum form it- and I've got two wall sections started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This will be a bit of a challenge because I have to come up with something that fluidly conforms to the curve of the hull... :)

14. Patrickivan

I've done a little more with the rec deck. This is it tacked together...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Each platform is reached via stairs. The spaces in between will consist of natural landscape. The TL's at the top (of course both only move vertically) are made from the perfect size pens!

15. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very impressed great work there :techman:

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow it looks awesome - I salute your perfectionism. I've glued my saucer section already but I wouldn't have had the technical skill to do this! My one consolation is that even with the lights on, you can't see that much through the little windows - lol.

I bought about 50 of the citadel figures from the 80s and I'm going to paint a whole load of customised 25mm crew instead.

17. Patrickivan

Thank you!

I'd like to see those figures. Mine are the Tamyia's.

As for the windows- I intend to enlarge them a little... I haven't done the math, but they look too small.

And here's a little update. The last for today- Some landscaping.

[​IMG]
    Being from Canada, it's getting a Canadian Shield type terrain. ;) I know it looks messy, but there was a lot of work to make it look like this. I can not wait to paint this to really bring out the look!!!

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coool! Don't forget the bowling alley.

The crew are 25mm - too big for the model so I was just going to display them in front of the ship in a big wedge. They are caricatured - figures were not made to be as realistic in those days but they produced all the main crew, including Chapel and Rand as well as the various alien races. I figured with a few simple head swaps I can make about 50 crew. the only one I've done so far is transplant uhura's head onto a security guard's body to make Thel'Darra, a character from my Youtube comic.

I'm finishing my ship first, thnen I'll worry about converting and painting the crew!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  19. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Get one of those PE sets (if you haven't already) and check your interior with the figures. Some of those platforms look very high relative to what I'm estimating the figure size to be. You're going to need some tiny staircases here and there.

20. Patrickivan

I've been toying with getting one.

As for the platforms, they are indeed to be connected with stairs.