STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

If Malik did start reciting Moby Dick dialogue and intended to destroy the Enterprise with his self destruction, I would say they went further beyond doing a call back. :lol:

For what it's worth, when I was watching the flick and that scene came up, I was thinking "you gotta be kidding me", but then I started to get into it because the actors were doing a hell of a job selling the scene (Chris Pine's "I'm scared Spock" is great). It was actually working for me. But then Spock yelled "KHHHHHAAAAAAAN" and it dropped like a brick, or a starship plummeting down San Fransisco. They had me, they didn't have to take it further with that awful bit.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I only first saw STID last month, and today feel jaded that it doesn't fulfill advance promos that told us someone detonated the fleet. I didn't see any fleet detonations in it.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That's because it should have been Lazarus as the villain. He could detonate universes, let alone a simple thing like a Starfleet. :lol:

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm starting to think whoever wrote that advance ad copy, as well as whoever approved it, doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language.

5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh my God, the next movie should totally be the reboot "The Alternative Factor." Nobody but nobody would see that coming. :lol:

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, that was a head scratcher. When I heard that, all I could think of was "the fleet what?" because you don't detonate a fleet. You can destroy a fleet, you can decimate a fleet, but you can't detonate a fleet, unless you armed all of their matter/anti-matter chambers to explode, but even then, detonating the fleet doesn't sound right, and doesn't quite work. Not the fault of the movie, though, which I enjoyed immensely!

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The moment of detonation referred to occurs at 2:28

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JGgdFRero[/yt]

Section 31 secret underground hanger go BOOM!

8. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

That could have had something to do with what the copy-writer was on about, but the fleet isn't being detonated. In fact it wasn't even that damaging if IIRC. Just a way for HK to get SF top brass in one place. Combine the two events and you are closer in a metaphorical sense, but it still doesn't really work that well.

Or to quote teacake (November 27 2012):
    I have no idea. :lol:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its funny how people still "wander" in to watch the movie. I also talked to someone recently who just saw the movie for the first time, and he said it was the only movie he recently saw that he stayed awake through...success!

RAMA

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I just watched the Paramount apology to the fans for screwing us over with special content spread across several exclusive retailers - aka "Star Trek: The Compendium" Blu-ray.

On the whole, I enjoyed the film more than the first time around because I was prepared for the onslaught to my fan sensibilities. So not bad. There was a bunch of humor I enjoyed. I just had to watch it for the entertainment value and forget I am a fan of Star Trek.

Oh, and the underwear scene - I think people protest way too much.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They definitely protest too much. It's like they forgot about Bill Theiss' costumes, or the camera angles when they focused on women in TNG, or Dax's very skin tight bathing suit in DS9, or any of the Dabo girls for that matter, or Seven's thermal suit in VOY, the decon gel scenes in ENT. I mean, flipping out over an underwear scene was just absurd.

"Sexual appeal!? What does this man think we are? Star Wars fans?! Sex appeal has no place in Star Trek! It's a Philosopher's Reli-er, show! Philosopher's show about deep things! Deep, deep things about thinking and stuff!"

13. BillJ

I credit Bill Theiss for my very early love of the female form! :lol:

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Nobody got "screwed over." Fandom has no one to blame for this but themselves. No one was forced to buy the first Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Rays; anyone who double-dipped (myself included) did so knowing full well that Paramount would very likely eventually re-release the film again. That Paramount felt the need to apologize is nice and all, but was also largely unnecessary.

15. BillJ

I've bought each of the Abrams films twice on Blu-ray. I've bought TOS and TNG on various formats, first ten movies on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray.

People act like this is the first time Paramount/CBS has asked them to double-dip on Trek.

People have short memories.

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes. Yes, indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I have no problem with sexuality in Trek, but that bit with Alice Eve was more crass than sexy. It was lazy, much like that decon scene in ENTERPRISE. Not on the same ballpark as Bill Theiss' imaginative costumes complimented by the gorgeous women that wore them.

18. BillJ

C'mon, Dude. There was no reason for Sherry Jackson to have a camel toe other than to tantalize us. Why couldn't she wear the same coveralls as Korby and Brown? :lol:

Hell, I was watching TNG's "Man of the People" the other night and you could clearly see Troi's nipples through the sheer gown she was wearing.

Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blalock worn skin tight outfits for no other reason than to show off their bodies.

People criticize the Alice Eve scene for no other reason than to say this Trek is better than that Trek.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Because Bill Theiss only wanted to show these lovely ladies' stellar personalities, and because the cinematographers for TNG only wanted to show boobs and crotches because it enhanced the storyline. Because Dax's bathing suit and the clothes the Dabo girls wore were all about fleshing out the plot. Yes, how dare J.J. show a woman in her underwear; normal underwear, I might add. Why, people might start to think other women wear underwear!

Yep. It makes one wonder, why the sudden prudishness?

20. BillJ

They use it to show how "evolved" Trek was before that pervert Abrams got hold of it.