Smallville Summer Hiatus Thread III (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 20, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was always my point about that version of Jimmy which I liked and thought Aaron Ashmore did a good job with. If DC was so concerned with how he was being portrayed to the point where they maybe asked the writers to kill him and announce that he was the real Jimmy's never before heard of older brother...well why bother letting them use him in the first place. If anything what they did just made that character even more irrelevant than he already was.

2. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Bullpucky. That was easily one of my favorite runs on the series and I wanted it to last much longer. That was GREAT.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It was a mix of good and bad, there was the hideous fancy dress sex scene, the fake pregnancy and the whole clone murder thing, after all.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

You lost me on that one, AY; are you referring to AA Jimmy, or Young Jimmy?

And the thing of it is, unless the show 'jumps' ahead a few years this next season, we'll never get to see this new Jimmy at the Planet. He was like what, ten maybe?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but, Pro, this is SV; even if they say it's "the end", it'll probably end up running for another 10 years.

But I don't get where the move was "ballsy." How was it any more ballsy than any other character death on TV?

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It was ballsy in terms of the epic recton, not the death.

For the previous three seasons or so, Jimmy was meant to be "Jimmy Olsen, photographer" that we all know and love from the comics. The fact that the show did a turn around like that took a lot of balls to try to pull that big of a fast one over the audience.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

But this is the same show that does a massive retcon every other episode...

8. Admiral_Young

Regarding Lex and Lana again...I liked the pairing due to the potential for story telling they had and I assume the writers did as well since they paired them in the first place starting all the way back in "Lexmas" (which is one of my favorite episodes). I just think like always on Smallville the types of stories they chose to tell with them married were...questionable at best, fucking weird at worst.

I was referring to both "Jimmy's" Henry and James with them making the character irrelevant now in the hearts and minds of Smallville fans. They went for so long in making the fans think he was the Jimmy we've always known and then they pull a swerve by not only killing him off (this isn't what I had a problem with) but by telling us that it was his created for the show older brother (it was like a punch in the gut for me).

So no thoughts about my alternate Season nine proposal I mentioned a few posts ago?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

oh Goodness.

Maybe they didn't retcon Ji.. I mean HANK, because they were assholes, maybe they retconned Ji... i mean HANK because he was the first to fall, and that everyone else is still standing in line in an orderly queue behind HANK'S decapitated corpse, that by the end of the series NO relationship will be allowed to stand between the characters from Smallville and the characters form the comics, which in the very least means that Clark will NEVER be Superman and Lois was probably replaced by a Bizarro clone years earlier.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:rolleyes:

It was not great. The only reason Lana went to Lex was because Clark chose to shut her out...mainly because of fear. The only reason Lex wanted Lana in the first place is because she truly loves Clark and Lex wants everything that is important to Clark mainly out of jealousy. The pairing made for great entertainment in "Lexmas" but in the long run it doesn't work. The reality of the Lex/Lana relationship is...there was no real love there and it was confirmed later on. Alot of the sensational BS that came later with Lana & Lex was nothing more than writer fantasy and even looking at the events/character development through-out SMALLVILLE's run...it doesn't make sense. If it wasn't for Green Arrow/JL & a handful of eps with Clark dealing with the PZ aftermath...S6 pretty much was a downturn...mainly do to Lex/Lana arc. Many may not agree with this and that is fine...but it was not a great run.

11. Admiral_Young

^This about sums up the relationship between Lex and Clark in Smallville perfectly.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I actually think a Lionel/Chloe relationship would have been more interesting than Lex/Lana.

:lol:

Clark: What are you doing with Lionel!?
    Chloe: He appreciates me...unlike some people...than means you Clark.

:lol:

13. Guy Gardener

Lionel was waiting till Chloe turned 25.

14. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

Well my two cents is if season 10 is time progressed mid season leading up to Kal-EL's debut as Superman,then the writers have earned their pay,but as to Henry J.Olson's death that was suposed to happen leaving James B.Olson to take on the family business of newspaper photography if someone has a younger brother that has been trained in craft of photography at young age let us say 11 years old,and they continue the training til hiring age of 16 working part-time at the planet.
    remember in the comics,serials,TV show,and the movies always depicted Jimmy as a younger than Clark by a decade .
    Clark at time of asuming the Superman role was 30 years old by earth standards,but in truth was in his early forties in Kryptonian time frame, so that would make Jimmy in his late teens to early twenties,but that always been the writers in terms of the comics, the artist regardless of the story arc is written by scriptwriter,comicbook writer or episodic TV writer it depends on finding the right actor or model used to portray the character.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

Signed

Buck Rogers

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That's funny you should mention that pairing, my wife said the same thing numerous times in the past.

It would've been interesting, to say the least. And it wouldn't have been the first time the Glorious Old Bastard hit on a chick young enough to be his daughter.

:devil:

16. Admiral_Young

Wouldn't put it past Lionel to wanting to tap Chloe...he may have wanted Martha but EVERYONE wants Chloe. Not sure how to respond to Captain Rogers there...it should be noted that the current revised time line has Clark becoming Superman around 23 years old and that he was Superboy prior to that while growing up in Smallville.

17. Guy Gardener

so, has John Byrne burnt Geoff Johns house down yet?

18. Admiral_Young

No Geoff burnt down John's house just last week.

19. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

What a load of horse manure! Practically everything you point to there makes the pairing make even MORE sense, not less.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:vulcan:

The pairing does not make sense...even though the reasons for Lana and Lex coming together are typical...the pairing itself doesn't make sense. Lana is a good, sweet and a caring person...and Lex is a monster...the pairing maybe be entertaining at first but you would have to be insane to think a long term relationship makes sense...even in the short term we saw how bad it was. To be honest the writers really cannot do a compelling relationship on this show.