Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And, of course, Star Trek takes place in a future where there was no Star Trek TV series revolutionizing mass-media science fiction in the 1960s. I sometimes wonder what the Trek-universe media landscape in the 20th century would've been. Without the precedent of ST's success in syndication, George Lucas might not have been able to convince investors that the space adventure movie he wanted to make in the mid-'70s could turn a profit. And without TNG's success, would the first-run syndicated SF/fantasy boom of the '90s ever have happened?

Maybe that's why the only 20th-century sci-fi we've ever heard about in the Trek universe is the '40s Captain Proton serials...

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Interesting pilot. I'll keep watching.

I wonder how often the Horseman will appear. Probably only four times a season or so, I'm guessing...

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the pilot. I like the cast, the supernatural mythology is interesting, and it seems like it should have a fair amount of humor, which is something I like.
    I'm curious what kind of a role Katrina will have, because she was listed in the main cast.
    I'm wondering if she's going to just pop up in visions and flashbacks like here, or if they will eventually bring her out of whatever limbo she's in into the modern world. Didn't she make a reference to needing to be rescued?

4. Christopher

^Clancy Brown was listed in the main cast too, which is why I think he'll have a regular vocal presence at the very least. Then again, some shows these days change their "main cast" credits week to week depending on who's featured or not.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do cheese zombies exist in the world of The Walking Dead though? :p

Brown wasn't in the main cast. He got the "and" credit during the guest star listings.

Guest star John Cho, Nestor Serrano and Clancy Brown, to be exact.

6. Christopher

I could've sworn Brown was the last name listed in the main cast.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The series only has 4 main cast members: Tom Mison, Nicole Beharie, Orlando Jones, and Katia Winter.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

He was.

9. Christopher

I just double-checked via On Demand, and Aragorn and DigificWriter are correct.

So I got confused.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The creators have openly for months said that the fairy tale is not know
    N in the TV show. I don't get the problem.

11. Christopher

^It's not a "problem," it's a topic to discuss and speculate about. This being a discussion board, there would only be a problem if we didn't have a topic to discuss.

12. DigificWriter

According to an interview with co-creator Philip Iscove, we possibly haven't seen the last of John Cho's character despite what happens to him in the closing moments of the pilot.

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who jumped when the demon in the mirror broke the mirror? I thought the spliced shots were well done.

Wasn't fond of the Horseman's use of a gun. I don't know, just damaged that to me. And why didn't Crane grab the Horseman's axe and whack at him with it?

14. DigificWriter

Oh, come on. :) That was one of the best parts of the episode and its absurdly awesome premise and concept. As said by Wired,
    The Headless Horseman wielding an assault rifle is freaking brilliant.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No, you have Alan Ladd to thank for Star Wars not Star Trek, he was the only one who believed in Lucas not the script nor the concept.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to think the 'show' Galaxy Quest was the inspiration for Lucas and the sci-fi revolution.

17. Christopher

Doesn't work. According to the film's backstory, Galaxy Quest ran from 1979-1982. It probably took several years to accumulate enduring popularity in syndication, like Trek did.

However, according to the GQ Wiki, the show was made using sets and props left over from an earlier space movie as a money-saving move. So one has to wonder what that earlier movie was. I wonder if that's a nod toward the (inaccurate) perception that Battlestar Galactica -- which debuted in 1978 -- was just a copy of Star Wars. Maybe that earlier movie was what took the place of SW in the GQ universe. But then, what inspired that movie?

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

The wife and I caught this on the PVR and watched it last night. We were very surprised that Clancy Brown's character got 'whacked' so early on. Both of us are big fans of his so we are hoping Christopher's thoughts above are correct. We were also surprised to see the the Reverend's quick death as well. The pacing appears so quick here. I would not have guessed that they would have uncovered the head of the headless horseman so quickly. We're both looking forward to see how this progresses.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As soon as I say Clancy Brown I knew he'd be dead. Pilots have that way of having an actor you know and killing them off, but he died even sooner than I thought.

20. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Anyone catch the cheesy plug on bones for the show?