Out with the old...TOS remastered in exclusive new packaging 8/13

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by PattyW, Jul 27, 2013.

1. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Following the success of Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD repackages from earlier this year, Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered Seasons 1-3 DVDs will also receive a new look, and will be available exclusively at Best Buy in the US and Canada, beginning on August 13th.

A must-own for both brand new and lifelong Star Trek fans, each season features all-new packing, including a multi-disc amaray within the slipcase, and are housed in an O-sleeve with a textured finish. Every season showcases a Starfleet division uniform with its respective color scheme, as well as one gadget from Star Trek: The Original Series.

• Season One, represented by the shimmering gold color, represents the command division and tricorder tool.
    • Season Two, repackaged in a bright blue shade, symbolizes the sciences division and communicator gadget.
    • Season Three returns refurbished in a vibrant red hew representing the operations and phaser device.
    The older packaging will still be available at other retailers, but only for a limited time.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gold?

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty awful cover.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Waste of money for those that already bought the old sets.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

On Amazon I can see the Origins set being offered for pre-order, but I don't see the repackaged season sets.

6. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

It's a Best Buy exclusive.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I must be confused. It's just a repackaging so big deal. And the Origins set are just select episodes so big deal again.

8. SpHeRe31459

Correct. It's all just re-packaging of what more hardcore fans would have already bought years ago.

This (and especially Origins) is to snag new more casual fans thanks to JJ's stuff.

That being said, I'm a little surprised they also didn't revamp the Blu-ray season set covers. Since that's the definitive way to own TOS at this point (since it has both original and remastered VFX on disc).

9. otomo

otomo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Question on this. I sold my original series DVDs a long time ago in a move, the first sets that came out. Are there any special features on these new versions that are worth having (over just watching on netflix)? Do the blu-rays of these remastered versions add anything like the TNGs do in the restorations?

10. SpHeRe31459

The TOS-R sets include new bonus material, but not like the caliber of the excellent TNG Blu-ray sets.

The standout new material are the interviews with Billy Blackburn that go with each season. I think those can be found on YouTube ripped from the DVDs though.

The other exclusive to the Blu-ray set is in the Season 3 set there is a bonus feature of the workprint version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before"