The Dashcam Chronicles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tiberius Jim, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of you are probably old enough to remember slides, and those relatives who were always forcibly showing you slides. Where you were scared to visit them lest you be trapped in their living room looking at their 10,000 slides of the Grand Canyon.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Seems petty to me too. Use a cam for potential accidents, forget the rest.

3. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is hardly about me venting or complaining about coworkers. It was about sharing some videos that myself and family/friends found funny and entertaining and I thought you might as well. A simple, "Nah, I don't find these funny. Try only posting videos like ______ instead" would have been constructive feedback. Although with the exception of maybe 2 videos I'm not sure how people aren't seeing what was wrong.

Long story short...I posted these because others found them funny. I thought you guys might too. Some of you don't and that's fine, but there's no need to get pissy and sarcastic about it.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^What's so funny about seemingly ordinary moment at a stoplight? Most of them, it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

5. Tiberius Jim

Besides the "gap" video, how are any of them ordinary? If people ordinarily run red lights or pull out in front of you or drive 20mph under the limit where you live it might be time to move.

Ironically, on my way to work today I was turning right at a four way intersection. Myself and the opposite side had the green. The woman in front of me was turning left and I was turning right onto the two lane road. We should both take the lane closest to us, right? Nah she decides that she's first going to nearly hit the pedestrians crossing the street *and* cross over into my lane. The video would have been great evidence had she hit the people and/or me. However my phone froze up and the video file is corrupted. Just when I had someone doing something "crazy" my technology let's me down. :p

6. Finn

^I didn't see any evidence of either in the ones I watched. It may have been evident from where you were sitting (since you were actually there), but not from my laptop.

7. Tiberius Jim

In the video titles something regarding signals with the white car with the black trunk, the guy changes lanes twice with no signal and then proceeds to run the red light.

In other videos, I will concede that the wide angle lens on the camera makes things look further away than they are. In the video "What happens when you assume..." the white Ford was a lot closer than it looks.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Maybe my experience with bad drivers or judgment of them is similar to yours, Flux, because in all of the videos I saw the problem that occurred from your POV, and thing that would annoy me. The exception maybe being in the night-time videos but only because of visibility. As a suggestion maybe use the video description section to outline what's happening and why the driver ticked you off. The first video with the on-screen annotations helped to see the situation and know what the problem was worked nice.

9. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The two of you should start your own YouTube channel where you bitch about things that don't bother the rest of us.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Bad drivers that do annoying, illegal and even dangerous things I'm sure bothers everyone.

11. Finn

^reminds me of the issues you had with your neighbors and posting about all kinds of things that you suspected was going on...

12. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Until and unless they do something that has a direct impact on what I'm doing on the road, namely cause or almost cause an accident with me, I really don't have take the time to get all worked up about them.

No sense giving someone free rent space in my head.

13. Tiberius Jim

I was able to salvage the video from today after all. This one should be sufficiently "out of the ordinary" for you. The woman nearly hits the pedestrians because she won't yield to their right of way, and then nearly hits me when she go wide into my lane. Both driver and passenger just looked at me, perplexed. Had this ended up in an accident (luckily I was yielding to the peds myself so I didn't start turning as soon as I might have) the video would have proved very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3USNrRWxFc

14. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okaaaaaay...

1) Out of the ordinary? Really?
    ...no, not really. Not even a little bit. I see far crazier things than this every week in San Francisco. This just looks like a small oopsie to me. The driver of the van simply overestimated how far along the pedestrians were in the crosswalk, by like... a second or two. They barely even spared the van a glance (the one on the right only looks back when you honk), and she certainly didn't "nearly hit" them. I have been nearly hit by a car, and that's not what this was. The peds didn't even speed up their pace, and the van never got that close to them. She began her turn, slowed down, pulled to the right and toward you a little bit to get around them, and that was it. Not seeing anything worth getting worked up over or Youtube'ing here, honestly.

2) Disclaimer: I don't drive. So I very well could be simply mistaken here... but it looks to me like you arrived at the intersection after she was already halfway through her turn. Wouldn't she have the right of way? Are you really supposed to wait to make your left turn not only for cars making right turns across from you, but also for cars who WILL make right turns but haven't even arrived at the intersection yet?

3) Furthermore, right-of-way aside, when I did BEGIN to learn to drive (hated it, which is why I didn't even bother trying to finish the process :lol:), one thing that was drilled into me: regardless of who has the right-of-way in a given situation or who made what mistake, common sense and safe driving practices dictate that whoever has the last opportunity to prevent an accident is obligated to do so. Even if you had the right of way, wouldn't it have been more prudent to simply wait, and not even pull forward into the intersection at all, since - right or wrong - the van was halfway through the turn when you arrived at the line, and clearly had to wait/go around the peds?

So... as to paragraphs 2 and 3, am I right? Or am I full of it?

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Man, that's riveting stuff. The tension is killing me.

16. Tiberius Jim

Right of way is not dictated by who arrives to the intersection first. Cars going straight and turning right have the right of way and left turning vehicles are to yield to oncoming traffic. In this situation it wasn't so much a right of way situation between she and I, it was the fact that she pulled into my lane (right side) instead of hers (left side) simply because she was too impatient to wait for the peds to cross. I make that right turn every day and haven't had anyone pull into my lane like that before. And per your last paragraph...I actually did wait...for the pedestrians to clear my path. I only pulled forward because a. I had the green and b. had the van followed the rules she would not have ended up in my lane but rather the lane to my left. I honked because all of a sudden she's cutting me off by pulling wide into my lane. Had I not been "prudent" this video would have been evidence for our insurance companies to determine fault of the collision that would have occurred. And yes, she did get very close to the pedestrians, the video doesn't do the distance proper justice.

This is what I'm talking about. There's no need to be sarcastic. You're just baiting at this point.

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't mind Flux Capacitor doing this, and some of the videos are even slightly amusing (the guy pushing the cart for example), but I have to say - man, traffic is harmless where you're from.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ok, watched that last one. They didn't "almost" hit anyone. They likely didn't immediately see the pedestrians from where they started, and they slowed and went around once they did. No slaming brakes, they stopped like 10 feet short of them, etc. Feels like you're LOOKING for material to post about, so over-hyping fairly minor things.

Want to know what else I noticed? YOUR car heading into the intersection that was already 'in use'. You can see the van turning well before you start to turn. Yes, if it's 2 lanes, you can expect the van to stay in the one, but you don't even slow down very much, you just barrel on in expecting it to be fine. You claim YOU saw the pedestrians, so not sure how you weren't expecting to have to slow to sort out the van's issue. Unless you wanted to beat the van by using the pedestrians as a blocker to stop the van but let you go? Maybe it's lack of perspective from the camera, but it doesn't look like you helped things on your end, and you had the best view the whole time. You saw the van and the pedestrians, right? How did you adding yourself to the intersection without slowing to a stop resolve that for anyone?

19. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find the assigning of genders interesting. Perhaps in some cases he can see who is actually driving and knows for certain, but it seems like "slow/lost/minivan driver" = woman and "aggressive/truck" = man. I wonder how accurate that is.

Whenever my Dad gets annoyed by a slow or hesitant driver he says "you go, girl!" and it drives me nuts. Roughly half the time it's a man behind the wheel.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, I don't find these funny. Or even slightly interesting.

Yup, but only for about 30 seconds (unless they actually hit me or something).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.