Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A special was aired recently about this new film. Some backstage stuff but also a large section of scenes from the movie. Some nice combat footage. Gives interesting ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1kR-Ef6Z_I&feature=youtu.be

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1kR-Ef6Z_I&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Instant Pre-order once CDJapan lists a Blu-ray for it. Assuming it has English subs like the rest that is. :cool:

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep - I'm right there with you - hopefuully it'll be the same situation as it was with the 2199 series Blu-Rays, :techman:

4. Ithekro

Hopefully the mix if theater ticket sales and BD sales (along with model kit sales) will encourage them to continue remaking the series. At least through the Comet Empire arc. Earth ships sell fairly well from what I recall. At least when they aren't just cannon fodder like the poor Pluto fleet. At least the EDF fleet in Yamato 2 managed to do something on its own without Yamato being the only ship doing the work.

A new series having revamped Earth designs would get them model kit sales, and if they have them involved in a few battles were they just don't get slaughtered, they'll net a fan base, before they end up as junk again Gatlantis' hull.

That and we really need a new Space Battleship Andromeda in 1/1000 scale. Be her just slightly longer than Yamato, or nearly twice as long. It would be worth it.

5. Ithekro

Amazon Japan has confirmed the release date for Yamato 2199: Ark of the Star on Blu-ray. May 27th, 2015.

There is also a two disc set which I guess has specials and events on it. Also a collectors set that comes with a box to fit all ten BDs of Yamato 2199. (Notice: This is Japan, the BD are expensive.)

There will be English subtitles on the Blu-ray versions.

They are Region Free. They can be played on any working Blu-ray player anywhere on the planet.

(Do not get the DVD release. That is Region 2 only and has no subtitles.)

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Sweet! Any word on starblazers.com? They have been resoundingly silent and the planned December return of their online shopping site is now long overdue. Is anyone still at the wheel there?

7. Ithekro

Nothing new about starblazer.com. They are still silent.

Link to Amazon Japan

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  8. Noname Given

Yay! Hopefully it'll be available from CD Japan too.

Any mention as to whether they ill continue the OAV/TV series with the Comet Empire storyline anytime in the near future?

9. 137th Gebirg

No word that I've heard, but I would suspect for that to be the plan...

10. Ithekro

No word on a sequal as of yet. One imagines it will take them time to produce one as it took a while to produce Yamato 2199. At least they will have a lot of the art assets already made.

They came up with the idea to do this film during production of episode 20, so if they decide to continue on to a full Comet Empire arc series, they would had decide either during the production of the film, or recently as a result of the film. If they are working on one, I wouldn't imagine an announcement until maybe this Fall? If the show came out in 2016 that is. Otherwise I wouldn't think it would show up until 2017. Again if they decide to make one. (Their production people might have been set on just doing the original work over again and a film for the 40th anniversery of the show. They might not have wanted to do more, but being fans would want to fill in the gaps with those things that came later on. On the other hand, they might want to do it and were just waiting to see if they could get the go ahead from the money people.)

This April is the 70th anniversary of the sinking of battleship Yamato.

11. Ithekro

Note: CD Japan has this movie up for preorder as well now.

There are three versions:

Cheapest is the DVD (do not get unless you can understand Japanese and have a Region 2 DVD player) (6800 yen)

Middle range is the one disc Blu-ray. This has English subtitles and is Region Free. (7800 yen)

The most expensive one (the one linked above) is the two disc Blu-ray set with a bunch of extras on the second disc (the extras are likely not subtitled). (9800 yen)

The version with the collector's box is an Amazon Japan exclusive.

12. Noname Given

^^^
    Thanks for the info. Just Ordered the 2-Disc Blu Ray with English Subtitles. (And no I don't speak japanese, but still want to see what the 'extras' disc has.)

Now I just have to wait until the end of May to actually see the film.:eek::wtf::techman:

13. zakkrusz

Much appreciated as well. :techman:

I went with the Regular BD, myself. Even had a bunch of points I needed to use anyway so...now the wait begins.

14. 137th Gebirg

Just pre-ordered the Ark of Stars 2-disc.

Really hoping StarBlazers.com gets rolling again to finish up the main 2199 set. I really don't want to pay the higher prices for the Japanese originals and, since there appears to be some incongruity between the two sets, I REALLY don't want to start over from disc 1! :(

15. Ithekro

Most have given up on Voyager Entertainment in their marketing to North America.

16. zakkrusz

If you already have the first 4 BDs from Voyager, you just need volumes 5, 6, and 7 from Japan. There isn't even a numbering issue for the disc packaging on your shelf, however the episodes on both versions aren't the same. The only problem you will encounter is that you will have 2 duplicate episodes. Episodes 15 and 16 will both be on your Voyager released volume 4 (which has 13-16) and your Japanese Volume 5 (which has 15-18).

17. Ithekro

True they are the same episodes and all.

While waiting for the movie to come out I've been buying the smaller Bandai model kits from Hobby Link Japan as well as a few of the slightly larger (and more expensive) toy ships from Megahouse. I did buy two of the larger 1/1000 scale ship kits. Dommel's battleship and Yamato. The Yamato was a present. The Domelaze III was because I wanted it and its 29 inches of plastic warshipness (compared to Yamato's 13 inches). I think the two together would looks awesome for gaming convention displays when running a Star Blazers game.

18. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

Just ordered the 2 disc version.

19. Ithekro

I ordered two copies. One was the two disc collectors set with box from Amazon Japan. The other was the one disc version along with the Voyage of Rememberance compellation movie as a set of birthday presents.

20. Ithekro

Related news: the wreckage of battleship Musashi found after 70 years

https://twitter.com/PaulGAllen/status/572431062522982400

Also (with help) I managed to view the new Yamato 2199 film off Bandai Channel. The movie is awesome. Now have to wait for the BD release for the subtitles and better picture quality.

(Kodai is a crazy effective combat captain against the Comet Empire.)