Wolverine DVD on shelves today...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T'Baio, Sep 15, 2009.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

...and I don't even want it.

I even bought X-Men 3. But Wolverine is just too horrible for me to spend my money on. Even as a huge Wolverine fan, even as a completist. It's just that bad.

This makes me sad. :(

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So is Doctor Who: The Next Doctor. But that, I do want. :D

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Worse then Elektra???

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing about this transitional period between SD DVDs and higher resolution content like BluRay DVDs and 720p/1080p direct downloads (over iTunes store or Xbox Live for example) is it's prevented me from buying a lot of garbage I would've bought 3 or 4 years ago but these days...Well, I certainly don't need a Wolverine BluRay, and there's no point in buying a regular DVD so.... Money saved, I guess!

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Wolverine, the only character who has ever had 4 origin stories in the span of 10 years!

6. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll rent it, because I never bothered to see it in theaters.

I see they are already spoiling the surprise Patrick Stewart appearance in the TV trailers for the DVD. :rolleyes:

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

And Storm, and Cyclops, and Gambit...

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Meh, I haven't bought an X-Men DVD since that X-Men Collection (containing X-Men and X2) came out prior to The Last Stand.

I might rent Wolverine at some point, but I'm not in much of a hurry.

9. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

I haven't seen it. It is supposed to come in the mail today from Netflix. But I doubt I will be buying a copy for my collection.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TV spots pretty much spoil the whole movie. I have no interest in buying this or renting this. Might ask my friend to make a copy for me or just borrow his. He enjoyed the film when we went to see it.

11. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does this DVD have a different version of the film, including scenes with little Ororo?

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Ditto for myself. I even walk past the $5 DVD bin now when I go to Walmart. I've seen the quality difference and I just don't think it's worth it anymore to buy DVDs, even discounted.

J.

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I picked it up today. I didn't see it during it's theatrical run so it was all new to me. I enjoyed it. It was a fun little action flick. Certainly not the travesty so many fans have made it out to be.

It might be the fact that I know exactly jack and shit about the comic book character that allowed me to enjoy the movie. None of the changes hurt me any because I didn't know they'd been made in the first place. ;)

I have no regrets. I got what I wanted out of the flick.

Personally I thought with all the bitching and hyperbole flying around this place about Wolverine that it was going to be Terminator 4 awful. It wasn't. Not by a loooong shot.

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Meh. It was about as good as any Wolverine movie could be. Shame they had to drag Deadpool down into mediocrity with him.

15. the Dagman

Okay, I just finished watching the film for the first time and it leaves me with the same impression of most of the opinions on films I see in this forum: you people don't know what you are talking about.

I haven't really been a huge fan of the X-Men movie franchise. I mean, I have enjoyed them for what they were. But the little things like Logan being about a foot and a half too tall were always a big siren call that this wasn't the X-Men from the comics. So I did my best to put aside that criticism during this film. Being that this was his fourth time playing the role, okay, time to let that go. Also a big complaint I had about the first three was that they were basically Wolverine movies with a little X-Men thrown in for bad measure. This time there were no illusions. It was meant to be a Wolverine movie and that is what it was, and I can accept that.

My conclusion about this movie? I found that this movie is the best one out of ALL the X-Men films so far. Sure. I wish the ending would have been better, and I have never liked Deadpool being that he is a sucky Rob Liefield creation. But the movie up to the end sequence had me pretty engrossed and entertained. Definitely not what you would call Oscar material, but the most Oscar material isn't my cup of tea either. I look for movies that can entertain me, and this one did by and large. I'd give it a B-.

So, given the movie opinions of the people on this forum being general opposite of my own, I expect I will really like the Star Trek movie when it comes out on DVD as well. Yes, that was another one I have missed. And, lucky me, another one I have managed to avoid virtually all spoilers for.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It had the potential to be so much better. I mean, the first act was extremely rushed (why does Logan fight in all those wars? He has no problems seeing people get killed in the building complex, but just minutes later suddenly has problems with it?), the second act was actually nicely paced and interesting but then it all falls apart again in the third act. I have no problem with altering the comics so long as it makes sense thematically and the movie is, you know, good. This film just was not good at all.

17. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Cheers, JA. The shit people accept nowadays. The horrible scenes with the old couple who take care of Wolverine after they find him in the barn are enough to admonish the film. Even if you look past character bastardizations and behaviour that just isn't real in any way, even the effects are absolutely terrible. The CGI claws in the bathroom I could've done better here on my MacBook. And there are many more scenes worthy of admonishment.

No wonder so many movies suck.

18. the Dagman

:rolleyes:

You actually go into a comic book movie like this and expect realistic characters? And boohoo the CGI effects that movie directors of films that I watched years ago would have given their arm and leg for? Like say the mist dragon from Conan The Destroyer for instance?

Lighten up Francis.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

He's not asking for guys with adamantium skeletons to be 'realistic', he's asking for characters who act in a believable and realistic manner, who have dialogue which sounds real when spoken instead of just looking cool on the page.
    There's a difference between a 'realstic character' in the sense that you could bump into Wolverine on the street, and 'believable characters' that you could imagine being real and acting/speaking in that way, given the core conceit of the film. Comic book movies get a pass on the first one, but not the second. Sadly all too many bypass both, even the good ones.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Thanks, cultcross, that's right.

A scene where the stranger you just found naked in your barn comes into the kitchen with a piece of radiator that is cleanly sliced in half and you just look strangely at it and say put it over there...that's just retarded and even within a film about mutants it is not a believable way for someone to behave. A scene where our mutant examines the claws that he's had for a hundred years because now they're covered with metal...same length and all, mind you, just metal...and then proceeds to act like he's never had them at all and is all clumsy with them like he doesn't know how long they are, doesn't make any logical sense.

The cinematic style that is intrinsic to these films is taking these extreme and fantastical scenarios and grounding them as much as you can in a believable reality. Therefore, the viewer accepts some outrageous things because everything else seems real. For instance you can buy a man with claws if he himself is shocked by them, anyone who sees them is shocked by them, and he goes out of his way to hide them from people who doesn't know he has them. But when an old man is presented with the above scenario and doesn't go "HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MY RADIATOR, YOU FREAK!" and instead just shrugs and wants to be kind, it's not honest.

This film was in no way honest to itself, the films that came before it or the characters. It was just plain not well made. Fact.